Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: New Truck for New Empty Nesters
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck for New Empty Nesters

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 06:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I may, we had a TT for many years and have done many western and eastern trips. We now have a class A MH. Both me and my wife say it all the time. We wish we would've gotten a MH from the beginning. Much easier to do everything. Best of all you can have a smaller fuel efficient car for everyday use while towing it (get one that's 4 down towable). You can find MH used in the price range that you are looking at for a new TV.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for input so far, I've gone cross country before, with a 30' bunkhouse and F250. Don't plan on getting large trailer. The current TT works great for the two of us. More wondering can new 1/2 tons comfortably pull cross country. I will plan to keep this truck for a long time. Live on a farm (though I don't farm), but need to haul things around (farm has big trucks to haul big things, so don't need that). To answer a few comments,

Yes, Titan XD intrigues me, since I plan to keep not worried about re-sale so much.

I would not get anything with less than 1500# payload.

Alaska will be when we full retire in a few years, so we plan on a long trip 4-5 weeks.

fx2tom

CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Titan XD payload will be low but for what you are pulling will work perfect, especially if you aren't worried about resale. I towed an 8300 lb travel trailer with one and it worked great. IMO it is a great compromise between a 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton for those that don't need a true 3/4 ton. The 5.0 diesel gives plenty of towing power but will run 18 MPG in daily driving when not towing.

2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 12:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packpe89 wrote:

Thanks for input so far, I've gone cross country before, with a 30' bunkhouse and F250. Don't plan on getting large trailer. The current TT works great for the two of us. More wondering can new 1/2 tons comfortably pull cross country. I will plan to keep this truck for a long time. Live on a farm (though I don't farm), but need to haul things around (farm has big trucks to haul big things, so don't need that). To answer a few comments,

Yes, Titan XD intrigues me, since I plan to keep not worried about re-sale so much.

I would not get anything with less than 1500# payload.

Alaska will be when we full retire in a few years, so we plan on a long trip 4-5 weeks.

Any middle of the road newer 1/2 ton will tow your trailer wherever you need to, comfortably. The more power it has, the less it will work in the mtns and headwinds.
But you already know this stuff.

Personally I’d have a hard time passing up the Titan XD diesel based on all factors.
But any truck save for the base model 6 cylinders will do a good job. Towing packages with deeper gears even better.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packpe89

You have said a few things that would narrow it down for me. I am a Toyota fan on my second Tundra and will vow for the dependability of both of them. My first was a 2008 and I towed with it for years, all of them actually. Had no trouble at all, purchased it for just about $30K and traded it in 9 years later for $17K Probably could get more but was lazy.
All that said, I would scratch the Toyota you listed. The crew cabs are bigger than my extended cab and they are heavier so you would not make up the 1500 pound weight capacity you seek. If you are going to be using it as a daily driver I would look at a Ford 1/2 ton EB. These get very good mileage when not towing, but they are the same as the rest of the gassers when towing.
I have a friend with an Ecoboost and it is a very nice truck. Comfortable, all the toots and whistles you would ever want and plenty of power to pull your trailer. It also has left him on the side of the road with a throttle body issue that was fixed. It actually had to be fixed twice because it didn't last the first time. On his last trip, with just about 80K miles he had a spark plug go bad and barely made it over the mountain. $500 later he was up and running but....they found that his turbo thingy is leaking oil internally and will need to be replaced sooner than later. I think that will be another $1500 and that is just for one of them. There are two!
Perhaps this is an anomaly, probably so.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I daily drive my Ram CTD and it's just fine, not really any less comfortable than a half ton and it fits in the same parking spots just as easily. For trips like you're contemplating I'd go with your favorite of the HD diesel models and you'll be happy you did on those cross-continent treks.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

stevemorris

ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

we tow 6000lbs with a ram 1500 hemi 4x4, 4door and i really wouldnt want to tow much more trailer than that
the issue is the weight of the truck. this is true of 4 door trucks in general, they are heavy! if you decide on a 4 door truck check the payload capacity. you will run ouit of payload capacity long before you reach the towing capacity
with our truck/trailer combo, we are very comfortable, no where near "the edge" and we tow 5000 miles or so a year, half our annual mileage

2017 Ram 1500 4door, 4x4, 5.7 l hemi, 8 speed
2008 KZ Spree 260

Retired JSO

North Georgia Mountains

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 07:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

packpe89 wrote:

New empty nesters hoping to have more time to use our TT. Trailer is 26' and weighs 5500# dry. Plan to take long trips every 2-3 years(NC to Western US, maybe Alaska, Maine/Canada etc.), and local trips 2-3 times a year. Otherwise will be used as weekend driver (I have a company truck for commuting). I have no brand preference. Hope to stay under $50K and keep a long time. Live on a farm so 4x4 is a definite. Thinking about the following half tons, Tundra Crew Max, GMC with 3.0 diesel, F150 with 3.5EB or Ram with 5.7.
Local Nissan dealer has a Titan XD with diesel left from '19. Could get a good deal there. Would also consider 3/4 ton, found a low milage Ram 2500/6.4 hemi, but think I would prefer diesel in that class.
Thoughts and opinions.
Tundra too old, or rock solid reputation make it ok.
GM 3.0 gets great reviews and I like diesel for ease of fill-up when towing.
Ford hate to buy now with new body coming out, but great motor.
Ram like the new body.
Nissan XD, ok to get even though they have dropped Cummins?
Thanks
Joe

When are you looking to purchase? If you can wait next year, there will be a ton of slightly used RV's and Trucks. I believe that you will be able to get an almost NEW , used truck .

And just where is this info coming from? Are you the RV. NET Soothsayer?

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 07:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Retired JSO wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

packpe89 wrote:

New empty nesters hoping to have more time to use our TT. Trailer is 26' and weighs 5500# dry. Plan to take long trips every 2-3 years(NC to Western US, maybe Alaska, Maine/Canada etc.), and local trips 2-3 times a year. Otherwise will be used as weekend driver (I have a company truck for commuting). I have no brand preference. Hope to stay under $50K and keep a long time. Live on a farm so 4x4 is a definite. Thinking about the following half tons, Tundra Crew Max, GMC with 3.0 diesel, F150 with 3.5EB or Ram with 5.7.
Local Nissan dealer has a Titan XD with diesel left from '19. Could get a good deal there. Would also consider 3/4 ton, found a low milage Ram 2500/6.4 hemi, but think I would prefer diesel in that class.
Thoughts and opinions.
Tundra too old, or rock solid reputation make it ok.
GM 3.0 gets great reviews and I like diesel for ease of fill-up when towing.
Ford hate to buy now with new body coming out, but great motor.
Ram like the new body.
Nissan XD, ok to get even though they have dropped Cummins?
Thanks
Joe

When are you looking to purchase? If you can wait next year, there will be a ton of slightly used RV's and Trucks. I believe that you will be able to get an almost NEW , used truck .

And just where is this info coming from? Are you the RV. NET Soothsayer?

Nope... just an opinion.... since that is what WE ALL HAVE ! [emoticon]

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 08:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say one of the 3.0 diesels would be a great match for what you are suggesting. And don't limit yourself to just the GM flavor. Personally speaking, my Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel is one of the best vehicles I have had. It does a great job towing my 7000 pound boat when needed.

Also have an EcoBoost. Lots of power, but you really pay for it at the pump when towing. At 70 MPH it gets 9 MPG with the boat. If MPG while towing are important to you, look away from the EcoBoost and towards the 3.0 diesels.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> New Truck for New Empty Nesters
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.