Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Accepting our fate....perhaps a TH after all
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Accepting our fate....perhaps a TH after all

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Fourkidletts

Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey all,

I've been searching for a couple of years for a TT that works for us and I always seem to come up short. I'm wondering if a TH might fit the bill better.

Needs:
Full-sized queen (would rather not be east/west set up)
Place for at least 1 6 foot son to sleep, sometimes 2-3, but always 1 for sure as he's developmentally disabled.
At least 6, hoping for 8 CF fridge
Counterspace/storage
Would love a deck on the back
Would like to stay 28' or less

TV:
Ford f150
4x4
3.55 Axle
1789 payload
3.5 Ecoboost
Max towing pkg

We have tent camped for years, and I have 2 Eagle Scouts. We love the outdoors so I don't need it to be super nice inside. But hubby and I are getting older, the ground isn't getting any softer. I just don't know about shoving my son in a teddy bear bunk, although it might work if it was long enough.

Payload with 3 of us and dog is around 650lbs. If we take more kids, we can take more cars so payload isn't as much of an issue. But the 3 of us and dog might take longer trips and the other 2 boys are almost moved out and won't always be there. But I like the option of easily throwing them in the trailer if they come, as to not set up the tent.

Thoughts and considerations? Any trailers come to mind? Thanks! (edit to say after a brief search it seems the queens are either short or e/w layout, so I may have to entertain those options some more)

* This post was edited 08/16/20 06:17pm by Fourkidletts *

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twenty-eight foot TH will be hard to find. Winnebagos start at 30 feet AND GVWR of 11,300 pounds.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like a good plan... I haven't seen one in that size with a bunk, usually the ones I have seen have the two folding sofas, one each side in the rear. Also, have not seen a deck, but maybe that is an easy addition..

Where I am currently staying, there is a Puma Palomino TH, about 27 or 28', being pulled by a F150. Looks good to me as I have a golf cart I would like to take along. So, I have kind of been looking at them in the campgrounds as I travel.

Good luck on your search and sure there will be something out there to meet your needs.

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

not to be weight police but the F150 will be your limiting factor. I assume you're not hauling any "toys"? If not then you might be OK. The fold down couches/beds should accomodate a 6' person but for sure any of the Happi-jac beds would be even bigger. My son has a Stealth with a single retractable bed that's only about 21' but the fixed bed in front is kind of small.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/toy-haulers/stealth/SS1814/4911

If you don't put toys in it you're weight might be OK

DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

coolbreeze01

Redding, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hold out for an 8 good or 10 cuft better frig. Tow vehicle is another issue. Have fun.

2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

Fourkidletts

Home

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the replies. In my searches we do seem to be quite limited by our TV.

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 02:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

full size queen won't be found in a TH of 28' I don't believe.

FrankoToo

New Braunfels, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Heartland Fuel or Cruiser Strykers. Both start at 23ft. and go up from there. King size beds in front and queen size beds in the back if equipped with the Happi-Jac beds. As mentioned, towing with a 150 might be challenging as TH's without toys in the back an be very tongue heavy.

FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

msmith1.wa

Tacoma, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should be able to find a toy hauler that meets the accommodation you want. Although the company that made mine is out of business and it would be too heavy for your F150, it is a 28' with walk around front queen, an upper queen and lower seats on the happijac system for the dinette fold to make another queen, and finally another seating area that opens to a twin size.

2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

nayther

Burbank, CA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fourkidletts wrote:

...In my searches we do seem to be quite limited by our TV.

Don't underestimate that limiting factor, many of US have learned that the hard way!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Toy Haulers  >  Toy Haulers

> Accepting our fate....perhaps a TH after all
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Toy Haulers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.