cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Visiting Mount St Helens in Washington

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We were planning on visiting the Mount St Helens area since we have never been there, as we head east from the Long Beach Peninsula. Based on what I have seen on the net, it appears Hwy 504 is closed, along with the Visitor Center and Observatory.

Is it worth going on Hwy 503, and can we expect to see Mount St Helens from the south?

Are there other areas nearby worth visiting, as we head south to Oregon?

Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We drove to the end of Hwy 504 yesterday. As mentioned, everything was closed with the exception of the gift shops. We were concerned about the cloud cover as we reached the Visitor Center mid afternoon, but by the time we reached the end of the road the sky was clear.

rvshrinker
Explorer III
Explorer III
503 is better access if you want forested hikes, in the lava canyons and up to the Loowit trail.

504 is better if you want to drive to a crater view (weather permitting) and I understand the gift shop is open at Johnston Ridge. There is a neat hike called the Hummocks Trall off 504 as well, and two longer hikes (Coldwater Ridge and Coldwater Lake). But this area is all exposed so it can be hot and sunny.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
StarkNaked wrote:
I don't see anything on WSDOT about Hwy 504 being closed. Yes, the visitor centers are closed, but you are going to see the mountain. You should still be able to drive to the parking/viewpoint at Johnston Ridge.

If you go, choose 504 over 503. The crater view is at Johnston Ridge.

My opinion is only go if the weather is cooperating. It needs to be clear weather all the way to the top of the mountain. It's not worth going if the only thing you can see is clouds.

P.S. I'm planning on a trip in the next few weeks to Windy Ridge on the East side of the crater.

Thanks for the info.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't see anything on WSDOT about Hwy 504 being closed. Yes, the visitor centers are closed, but you are going to see the mountain. You should still be able to drive to the parking/viewpoint at Johnston Ridge.

If you go, choose 504 over 503. The crater view is at Johnston Ridge.

My opinion is only go if the weather is cooperating. It needs to be clear weather all the way to the top of the mountain. It's not worth going if the only thing you can see is clouds.

P.S. I'm planning on a trip in the next few weeks to Windy Ridge on the East side of the crater.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
I was going to tell you to go visit the Ape Caves in WA but I see that they are also closed.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œand can we expect to see Mount St Helens from the south?โ€œ

Weather cooperating, youโ€™ll see it.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad