Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Folding Bikes
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Folding Bikes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/16/20 11:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DW and I are thinking about getting folding bikes to put in our 5'er. Never been comfortable with bike rack on back of rig. Would appreciate some recommendations from those of you who have them. FWIW, we don't do a lot of biking. Maybe just to town where we lock them up and then walk along the shops. In other words, we don't need something that is designed to go thousands of miles. [emoticon]Thanks

bob213

Fresno, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 11:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would look for some used Dahon foldables. The price of new ones have gone thru the roof but they are nice quality bikes. Almost all bikes of any kind have gotten considerably more expensive since the pandemic shut down of factories.

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/16/20 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I bought two folding electric bikes for the same reasons as you. One season of moving them in and out of our 5th wheel and it was over. The bikes now stay home.
I don't recommend buying bikes if you are planning on storing them inside your 5th wheel.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

salem

Central Valley, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 12:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not going to store them there, just transport them.

riven1950

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a couple from CW. Bought them on sale and they are decent bikes. Have them for about 5 years. Don't know about the ones they have now. Just used to ride around CG and short rides. Carry them in truck normally. Did carry them in the TT once but too many sharp edges. Afraid they would break free and do some serious damage.

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had the folding ones from Caming World, stored them in the basement. They ride and worked well. Just replaced them with recumbent trikes, otherwise we would still be riding them.

2019 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1000FTPD of Torgue!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

A1ARealtorRick

Gulf Shores, AL

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dahon makes a very nice quality folding bike.

I'm like you. Why carry nice, expensive bikes on a rack attached to the back of your RV, where plenty of dirt, grime, and debris can wreak havoc on them? If that was my only option for carrying bikes, at least I'd have to fashion some type of enclosure/covering for them.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why limit yourself to folding bikes? Take the front wheels off, take the pedals off, put down an old blanket on the bed and lay them down on there. 10 minute job to do that. Then you have your choice of what you want to ride instead of being limited to something that you think is more convenient but really isn't.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

LJAZ

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Dahon as well and love it. It's only takes a second to fold or unfold and its well built and rides quite nicely. Prices have gone up lately, most likely due to the tariffs, but you can sometimes find them on Craigslist.

2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a couple of Dahon foldables for several years and liked them very much. Well made and not too uncomfortable to ride.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Folding Bikes
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.