Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Pump when hook up to city water
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pump when hook up to city water

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
DanLefoot

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello Folks.
We are hooked up to city water In Breckenridge, Co. The water pressure is the weakest in my experience. If I turn the pump on pressure is much better.
Does doing this create a problem? With the the pump on and connected to city water does the water in the coach come from the tank or both?
Thanks
Dan

gbopp

The Keystone State

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do it when the pressure is low. No problems.

RoyF

Fayetteville Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not a hydralics expert, but I guess that if pressure from the pump is greater than pressure from the city line then the pump will send water not only to your tap but also back into the city line! (But maybe there is a valve in the city line that prevents backflow.) Have you tried turning city water off and using the pump only?

I think that you had better keep your freshwater tank topped up, even it takes hours to do so.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyF wrote:

I'm not a hydralics expert, but I guess that if pressure from the pump is greater than pressure from the city line then the pump will send water not only to your tap but also back into the city line! (But maybe there is a valve in the city line that prevents backflow.) Have you tried turning city water off and using the pump only?

I think that you had better keep your freshwater tank topped up, even it takes hours to do so.

There is a backflow prevention device at the shore water inlet. Otherwise, every time you turned on your pump you would pump water down the side of the RV. (Mine failed one time when we were on a 6 week camping trip and doing a lot of boondocking. My temporary fix was to get a garden hose shut-off and screw it into the shore water inlet, then turned its valve off. Worked like a champ. When we got home, I replaced the backflow preventer.)

To the OP: There is absolutely NO problem with turning on your pump when you need more pressure. As far as where the water comes from, that depends on the shore water pressure. The lower the shore water pressure, the more water you will get from the tank.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

smarty

new mexico

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We never use our water pump nor do we put water in the fresh water tank

Am I correct in assuming that the pump would not work similarly for us due to the fact that our freshwater tank is empty?

Gonna try this tonight and see

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The pump runs off the tank. Don't turn it on unless there is water in the tank.

camperdave

northern, California

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good question about where the water will come from! I've wondered the same, we usually run off the tank/pump only, but lately I've been using the city water hook up more.

I still keep the fresh water tank full, and turn on the pump when showering (other times, who cares if the water pressure is low?). I have not tracked how much water comes out of the tank, I assume it's a split of both depending on the pressure differential.

and smarty, you are correct your pump will not help you out if the fresh water tank is empty.

2004 Fleetwood Tioga 29v

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We keep water in the fresh tank, and use it, even for drinking sometimes. When connected to shore water, we also use the pump occasionally to increase pressure and flow while showering. It is a big improvement for the shower.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Roger10378

Goodrich, MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/17/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The water usage will not split between the city water and pump, it will use water from the higher pressure source. So you will have to add water to your tank from the city if you are staying very long.

2005 Cardinal 30TS
2007 Chevy 2500HD D/A

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/17/20 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

City Water Inlet has a 'check valve' so when using pump water does NOT flow backwards theu the city water inlet connection...otherwise when using pump the water would leak out the inlet

Pump has an internal check valve so when using city water source the water doesn't flow backwards thru your pump

With pump switch on (and water in fresh water tank) the pump will NOT run unless the RV Plumbing System pressure is lower then the pump pressure switch Start set point......
With city water connected and pump RUNS the system pressure is low enough for pump to supply water demands and city water flow is static due to inlet check valve going closed due to pump discharge being hogher then city water source (plus inlet check valve has a spring to assist in closing it)

So either City water supplies the RV Plumbing System OR the Pump sucks water from fresh water tank and supplies the RV Plumbing System

Basic RV Plumbing System
[image]

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Pump when hook up to city water
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.