Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: GEAR LUBE LEVEL QUESTION, 2016 CTD 2500
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GEAR LUBE LEVEL QUESTION, 2016 CTD 2500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

"The problem I have with Amsoil is most of there motor oil products are not API certified"

They charge insane $$$ for certification. They have certified testing to back up their claims.

Don't like it don't buy it is all I can say.

I think that is the best advice , just don't buy it. There are plenty of quality lubricants out there without spending the kind of money Amsoil charges .

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So says someone who wanted my advise and where to buy their gear lube. I offered to sell it to him at Dealer Cost and the emails started from there.

"I know you are big on the Amsoil brand, thinking of breaking down ,and going with the 75/110 gear lube for my rear axle. I am due to change it, and not seeing a terrible difference in price with it. Do you use one source over another to purchase Amsoil, or where the best place to get it. I am doing this on ONE condition you don't tell anyone [emoticon]. No just kidding, it seems like it would be good as any, considering it calls for full synthetic. Thanks"

My responding email

This is my cost. The shipping is on every order no matter big or small it seems to always be $11.99. Tax is based on my zip. So the total may very slightly.

If your interested you would need to figure a way to get it paid. I am assuming 4 quarts? No gallon sizes, it jumps to 5 gallon pail.

I figure if you want to post about it’s up to you.

Later,

Ron

"Hi Ron, This is an order I started on the Amsoil web site for 5 quarts of the Severe Gear 75-90 , I joined the club membership for 6 months for $10, which is included in the total, not sure why it didn’t show. It showed before I went to checkout shown below. The price per quart was 13.90. My price for the 75-110 was $14.35, but I decided I don’t need 75-110, towing 13K. If I was to buy just 4 quarts of 75-90 using the the same shipping tax ,plus the $10, it would be a total of 79.56,if it was 75-110 it would be 81.36, so a bit more then your cost by $8.10. For that its not worth it for you to have to mess with it . Actual price difference per quart is $.70 for the 75-110 . My shipping, and tax is helping a little on the total. Kinda offsetting a bit of the $10 membership cost.

Thanks for the offer, that was nice of you.

I’m thinking its 8.5 pints for the 11.5 axle listed on the Amsoil site, I see you mention 4 quarts ( 8 pints ) my manual is not giving the amount, so if its 4 quarts to fill it, then I got an extra quart for the next time ,no big deal. I noticed on a youtube video, that the 2500 had a fill line to go by, nothing on my 2014 3500 axle, so I am assuming fill to the check hole ???????. Thats what I have always done on my previous trucks, that or find out exactly what the amount is , it sounds like they can be overfilled ??????.

One other thing, on my window sticker I saved from my truck purchase ,it has on it a Anti spin rear axle, Is that a limited slip axle??? I sure don’t know. The reason I ask is whether I need that limited slip additive , its something I had to do in my previous truck .
Let me ask one other thing, I am a bit anal, thinking I want to replace the gasket, there is a website in Billings, Mt., that has a good price on them, and new bolts if wanted . Is this something you do ?? The new bolts I noticed they offer have the locktite on them. Anyway thanks for any info you can give me."

Anyway I could post more but I hope you all get the point, he is against everyDAMZ think I promote and it get's tiresome!!!

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

So says someone who wanted my advise and where to buy their gear lube. I offered to sell it to him at Dealer Cost and the emails started from there.

"I know you are big on the Amsoil brand, thinking of breaking down ,and going with the 75/110 gear lube for my rear axle. I am due to change it, and not seeing a terrible difference in price with it. Do you use one source over another to purchase Amsoil, or where the best place to get it. I am doing this on ONE condition you don't tell anyone [emoticon]. No just kidding, it seems like it would be good as any, considering it calls for full synthetic. Thanks"

My responding email

This is my cost. The shipping is on every order no matter big or small it seems to always be $11.99. Tax is based on my zip. So the total may very slightly.

If your interested you would need to figure a way to get it paid. I am assuming 4 quarts? No gallon sizes, it jumps to 5 gallon pail.

Later,

Ron

"Hi Ron, This is an order I started on the Amsoil web site for 5 quarts of the Severe Gear 75-90 , I joined the club membership for 6 months for $10, which is included in the total, not sure why it didn’t show. It showed before I went to checkout shown below. The price per quart was 13.90. My price for the 75-110 was $14.35, but I decided I don’t need 75-110, towing 13K. If I was to buy just 4 quarts of 75-90 using the the same shipping tax ,plus the $10, it would be a total of 79.56,if it was 75-110 it would be 81.36, so a bit more then your cost by $8.10. For that its not worth it for you to have to mess with it . Actual price difference per quart is $.70 for the 75-110 . My shipping, and tax is helping a little on the total. Kinda offsetting a bit of the $10 membership cost.

I’m thinking its 8.5 pints for the 11.5 axle listed on the Amsoil site, I see you mention 4 quarts ( 8 pints ) my manual is not giving the amount, so if its 4 quarts to fill it, then I got an extra quart for the next time ,no big deal. I noticed on a youtube video, that the 2500 had a fill line to go by, nothing on my 2014 3500 axle, so I am assuming fill to the check hole ???????. Thats what I have always done on my previous trucks, that or find out exactly what the amount is , it sounds like they can be overfilled ??????.

One other thing, on my window sticker I saved from my truck purchase ,it has on it a Anti spin rear axle, Is that a limited slip axle??? I sure don’t know. The reason I ask is whether I need that limited slip additive , its something I had to do in my previous truck .
Let me ask one other thing, I am a bit anal, thinking I want to replace the gasket, there is a website in Billings, Mt., that has a good price on them, and new bolts if wanted . Is this something you do ?? The new bolts I noticed they offer have the locktite on them. Anyway thanks for any info you can give me."

Anyway I could post more but I hope you all get the point, he is against everyDAMZ think I promote and it get's tiresome!!!

I hope you copied and pasted , that would of been a lot of typing [emoticon] Please read my reply again , I agreed with you , don’t get so excited it’s just lubricant , and there is other quality products out there . [emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Huh? What does the emails have to do with the opening and ending sentences?
Drunk posting or ??

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Honestly, you girls should all take this fight to bookFace or something...
Who cares, 12V thinks using AmSoil makes dollar bills fly out the exhaust of his truck and a few others of you think it's Wisconsin squirrel p!ss mixed with bacon grease or something....

Truth is, it's oil (or grease or whatever). It's good oil, maybe great. So are other brands. 7 pages later, this was about put oil in your diff until it spills out....or not.

Hannibal

Tampa Bay Area

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

My responding email

Later,

Ron

So you’re a dealer advertising on the RV.net forums? Interesting.

2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'. Reese HP Trunnion 800

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hannibal wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

My responding email

Later,

Ron

So you’re a dealer advertising on the RV.net forums? Interesting.

I’m thinking more the CEO [emoticon]

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"So you’re a dealer advertising on the RV.net forums? Interesting."

NOPE!!! If the Mod thought I was they would have spanked me. Just putting this little PIZZING contest into perspective.

I try to stay out of the gutter but sometimes ya have to tell it like it is. I have plenty more if needed.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GEAR LUBE LEVEL QUESTION, 2016 CTD 2500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.