cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cracked potable water tank

Timeking
Explorer
Explorer
Previously, in our Kodiak TT, traveling with a full tank wound up either cracking the tank or the tank had been cracked and repaired crappily when we bought it used. The floor rotted out by the door, and in the bedroom from a hole in the roof when the crooks sold it to us, the coup de gras being stove and sink separated from the wall.

We now have a brand-newish 2018 FR Rockwood 2606WS. If (or when) we have to evacuate Florida due to hurricane, it would be ideal if we could leave with a full tank of water, as we'd be self-contained and could rest anywhere the cops didn't run us off from. We have a gen.

So what is the experience with traveling with a full tank, and whether it might crack or not?
13 REPLIES 13

Jude_S
Explorer
Explorer
There have been many posts about traveling with water in the tank and I concur that it should be no problem. Mine is underneath and has a caged support of flat bar. We did have a black tank rupture and found a repair material that has held up wonderfully for many years. Black and grey tanks are usually ABS and different from fresh tanks. The company makes a number of different repair compounds but I've only used the black tank repair. I would highly recommend this product! plasti-mend.com.

frankwp
Explorer
Explorer
MrWizard wrote:
If I had a crack I the tank, I would probably try fixing it with an Eternabond patch
Or maybe
A big patch of FlexSeal patch tape
Comes in black or white

I had a big crack in a potable water tank & had it welded at a plastic shop. It was caused by my own stupidity. I left the hose running in the fill port & lost track - boom! As I said it was a nasty crack/break, but the repair was only $150.

I would not use Eternabond or FlexSeal tape. The non-curing adhesive will be exposed to your drinking water & I doubt very much that it is food safe.
2010 Cruiser CF30QB
2003 GM 2500HD, crew cab, SB, 8.1, Allison

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
we've traveled over 40K miles in our outback with a full (46 gallon) water tank, no issues. and many trips with full black/grey tanks on the way home.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

MrWizard
When my tank is empty I fill it full,
I always start a trip with at least 3/4 tank

If I had a crack I the tank, I would probably try fixing it with an Eternabond patch
Or maybe
A big patch of FlexSeal patch tape
Comes in black or white
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Our coach is soon to be 48yo. We have only had her for 17 seasons and about 70k of the 170K and the potable tank is always full at departure.
I've replaced the level sender to get on that works and we are on our third potable pump. The tank is doing great.

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Been RVing for 30+ years - haven't had a FW tank crack but did have a fitting start to leak - that was pretty easy to fix but did require me to remove the tank. Unless I am dry camping I don't see much purpose in carrying a full tank of FW - less weight makes my rig drive better.
Kevin

Sandia_Man
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have always carried freshwater in our tank regardless if destination has water readily available, there's a few reasons why we do. Manufacturer's that advise not to fill your tanks more than likely install sub-grade tanks prone to fail, or are poorly designed to keep them from falling out, defeating the very purpose of purchasing an RV.

With our toyhauler we can carry well over 1K# of fluids which we did occasionally, never feared one of our tanks would ever fall out or crack, we did verify that they were well secured by the factory. After a few decades of RVing, and from TT to Class A, we continue to bring our own water, always making certain we have enough truck and/or cargo capacity.

swphotobug
Explorer
Explorer
We have traveled for 40 years with a full tank and over some pretty awful roads, never a problem.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"traveling with a full tank wound up either cracking the tank"

I always travel with a full tank. RVs are built to travel full. Too many beautiful dry campgrounds in the West to travel empty or half full.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Since we are not in hurricane areas we always travel with just enought water to flush the comode 15-20 gals in our 100 gal tank. Water is heavy and I prefer to carry beer
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Always leave with at least 2/3 tank, but mine is above the floor, under the rear queen, so very doubtful it will crack from being full.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

hotjag1
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've had eight motorhomes and we always travel with at least half a tank. Never had a leak and I'm guessing the tank material is all pretty similar between manufacturers.
hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not to worry. My trailer is a 1999....same tank. Never a problem. The best are trailers with the tanks mounted between the frame rails.