Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: Tool kit?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Tool kit?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 12:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a bit of everything also. 12 v stuff, 110 stuff, plumbing stuff. Tbh, i think other people use it more then me in the campgrounds. But at least I know its there if needed. Guy this year borrowed my compresser and tire plug kit. Lol. I have the room and the extra tools, so why not bring them. Most of the sruff is in my tool box on the truck and stays there year round. If no one mentioned it allready a few shark bites are also good incase you need to cap off a water line.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

If you use an impact driver, please don't let it rattle along at 0630. Your neighbors will appreciate it.

No chance of that with me, but I do have a quality ratcheting 3/4 wrench in case my battery dies in the impact, and the one time we got in after hours I used that on the leveler instead of the impact, the stabs are easy enough to do with the included long wrench, just takes a minute or two longer.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only tools you should carry are those that you are comfortable/competent in using.

BTW, I have owned 3 RVs, and have yet to come across a single Robertsons square bit bolt/screw. Just saying...

We don't stop playing because we grow old...We grow old because we stop playing!

2004 Itasca Sunrise M-30W
Carson enclosed ATV Trailer
-'85 ATC250R (2), '85 BW200, '07 TRX400EX, '12 Husky TE310
Zieman Jetski Trailer
-'96 GTi, '96 Waveblaster II, '95 FX1

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4van wrote:

The only tools you should carry are those that you are comfortable/competent in using...

I get what you are saying, but for many of us thats not the way to approach it. We are competent with too many tools.
A better statement might be Tools that you are competent with that are also the most likely to be needed in a RV.
At that point, we return to the question of What are the tools most likely to be needed.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 09:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to do something like theoldwizard1 has. I was gifted a tool set which is OK, but it is in a crappy clamshell plastic box secured by tabs which are falling off, and the tools don't fit snugly in their spots - so when you open it, everything falls out.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

gmckenzie

BC

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

4x4van wrote:

The only tools you should carry are those that you are comfortable/competent in using...

I get what you are saying, but for many of us thats not the way to approach it. We are competent with too many tools.
A better statement might be Tools that you are competent with that are also the most likely to be needed in a RV.
At that point, we return to the question of What are the tools most likely to be needed.

So, no to the table saw, planer and jointer???

[emoticon]

2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 11:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

gmckenzie wrote:

CFerguson wrote:

4x4van wrote:

So, no to the table saw, planer and jointer???

[emoticon]

years back at Lake whitey resorts, a fella pulled in beside me and he did have a small table saw in a compartment. [emoticon]
BUMPY

4x4van

California

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CFerguson wrote:

4x4van wrote:

Good point. I am quite capable, but only carry a small basic kit when I am going with JUST the RV, along with some spare parts (both for chassis and house), as I've very rarely had any major issues on the RV itself in the past 32 years (knock on fake wood!). I do, however, carry a full toolbox when I am taking the toys (ATVs, motorcycles, PWCs), as I am much more likely to need to make repairs on those. Keep in mind that I am only a long weekend warrior, so my practices would not apply to fulltiming; at that point I would take my full toolbox.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Tool kit?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.