cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fresh water tank leak

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, A friend's '97 Pleasure-Way has a leaky fresh water tank at the drain fitting.
I tried a YouTube fix of wrapping thread around the broken fitting and encasing that in epoxy but no joy; still drips, just less.
So, wondering if there are replacement tanks available (a quick Google search came up empty) or if anybody has some ideas on how to implement a permanent fix.
2010 Carriage Cameo 36FWS
2018 Silverado 3500HD D/A Double Cab Dually LT
6 REPLIES 6

two_wheeled
Explorer
Explorer
I had a broken fill fitting on my old water tank. It was cracking and had been repaired with plastic putty several times. None of the putties would stick to the plastic long term. As a last resort I wrapped Flex Seal tape all around it, and it stopped leaking. That was almost a year ago and it's still holding great.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
Understood. They aren't typically glued on but they "spin welded". Regardless - the tank isn't pressurized and any "leak" should be able to be contained without extensive effort. Perhaps you used the wrong sized fitting or maybe an epoxy which isn't compatible with your tank? In my case I removed the old valve and replaced ... have you tried that? The leak I had sounds similar to yours ... constant use of the drain valve resulted in weakening and leak from the valve attachment.
Kevin

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Hi ksg5000,

The leak isn't the valve but rather the fitting the valve screws into, which appears to be glued into the tank.

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
FW tank isn't under pressure and in many cases the simple replacement of the valve works ... adding appropriate epoxy should have been INSURANCE and nothing should get beyond that. You might take a closer look double check where the leak is coming from. Just my 02. In my case I removed the tank - replaced the valve - filled the tank to insure it wasn't leaking - then replaced the tank.
Kevin

TimnJo
Explorer
Explorer
Been to EBay, no luck, clean and dry, sigh.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Try E bay for a new tank.

As for your repair was it clean and dry when you tried?
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.