cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

EMS/Surge Protection or.... TPMS???

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
If you only had $200 or $300 available, would you spend it on an EMS/Surge Protector or on a Tire Pressure Monitoring System? Which would you consider the higher priority?

Bonus points if you give an opinion on which specific product you would buy (manufacturer and product number).

Extra bonus points if you explain why you are giving the answers you are giving.

Thanks in advance.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB
33 REPLIES 33

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
bighatnohorse wrote:
Four: I've lived a lifetime before TPMS was invented and never had a problem.

I've lived 65 years and never needed a fire extinguisher, but that doesn't mean I am going to throw mine out.

Driving from Colorado to Tennessee one time, I left Colorado with 80 psi in all 6 tires. When I stopped for the night just east of Oklahoma City, one of my inside dually tires had 0 psi. As soon as I got home, I got my TPMS. (It has since saved me from an RV fire when a brake started dragging. By the time I got pulled over, the wheel was smoking.)
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:
If you only had $200 or $300 available, would you spend it on an EMS/Surge Protector or on a Tire Pressure Monitoring System? Which would you consider the higher priority?

Bonus points if you give an opinion on which specific product you would buy (manufacturer and product number).

Extra bonus points if you explain why you are giving the answers you are giving.

Thanks in advance.

-Speak

1) Surge Protector
2) Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A - Full Protection Portable with LCD Display

One is that I plan to travel to Mexico again where a surge protector is essential equipment.
Two is that it fits the price point you specify.
Three is their Limited Lifetime Warranty: Lifetime repair or replacement if not abused.

Three: This model shows how many amps that the camper is pulling. Turn on fridge, microwave and water heater and the camper will exceed 30 amps.

Four: I've lived a lifetime before TPMS was invented and never had a problem.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Decided on the TPMS. Installed it today. Got the EezTire one. I really like that it is totally wireless.

The deciding factor was the issue of safety to self and others. An EMS will protect our own stuff, but the notion of the TPMS protecting others, in the event of a catastrophic blowout, tipped the scale in favor of that product.

Maybe next year I'll get the EMS.

Thanks for playing along.

-Speak

Good decision, the TPMS is a safety device and the EMS might protect some cheap junk RV electronics.

Powertour
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:

Bonus points if you give an opinion on which specific product you would buy (manufacturer and product number)..

-Speak

EMS hands-down.

I got this one last year, it's been awesome. Love the app that goes with it as well.

https://www.campingworld.com/30-amp-hughes-autoformer-power-watchdog-bluetooth-portable-surge-protector-117409.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwh7H7BRBBEiwAPXjadg9fFzidrGG5_etIlddSp_kBpKsXqzFxR4EFBXdrnOu_MW-2uERlFxoCL-MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
2015 Itasca 25b Ford E350 V10

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Surge Protector. I use the Progressive Industries SSP-30XL
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

jjrbus
Explorer
Explorer
I have had 3 tire isssues, one brand new inner dually flat, caught it, no damage. No TPMS at that time.

Next was 1st day driving home on old tires. Whats that noise? BANG, no TPMS

3nd one starting out for a days drive and the TPMS notified me, inner dually of course. I only monitor the duallys and do not use a toad. I should notice a flat on the front.

The cheap ones usually last about 2 years. Also use one in the wifes car as the factory system only shows low pressure, not which tire and not the actual pressure in the tire.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-TPMS-Tire-Pressure-Monitoring-System-Solar-Charging-HD-Digital-LCD-Display-Auto-Alarm-System-Wireless-With-4-Sensor/977355447

So you have me thinking, why can't I add a whole house surge protector to my RV?

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Decided on the TPMS. Installed it today. Got the EezTire one. I really like that it is totally wireless.

The deciding factor was the issue of safety to self and others. An EMS will protect our own stuff, but the notion of the TPMS protecting others, in the event of a catastrophic blowout, tipped the scale in favor of that product.

Maybe next year I'll get the EMS.

Thanks for playing along.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
I use both.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I was traveling through Denver a few days ago and the TST tire monitor went off while we were on a back road heading towards a campsite. Found a nail in the right rear tire not yet flat thanks to the system. I would not have known about that tire until it was ruined without that system. Was able to stop and change out tires while just needing a patch instead of a new tire. I think both systems have much merit but for me, the tire system was beneficial at this time. Will look at power monitors/surge protectors down the road.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
That is a good question..
Considerations: A blown tire can kill you.. HOWEVER They are fairly rare

Over/Under voltage or plugging a 30 amp plug into a 240 volt outlet is relatively common..

Fact I've had 3 Flat tires on this RV. NO secondary damage (All rear one outer and two inner dual) The outer I found quickly but the other two.. I have no idea how far I drove or if I drove on 'em.

So I'd go with the EMS HW-30/50-C from Progressive Industries unless I got a fantastic deal on the TRC/Southwire Surge Guard.. which by the way is why I have one.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
I'm interested to know if anyone here has actually suffered damage to their electrical components due to bad power.

I've heard lots of stories of tire blowouts and the damage caused.

I've heard stories about how EMS systems have protected people from damage.

I'd like to know if there are people here who have actually suffered damage because they didn't have an EMS.

-Speak

In 43 years of towing campers, I've had two tires come apart and no failures from bad power. The only power protection that I use is an autoformer when voltage is down.

My TPMS has alerted me to low tire pressure several times. That system can save a lot of damage and increases safety.

Bobbo
Explorer II
Explorer II
SpeakEasy wrote:
I'm interested to know if anyone here has actually suffered damage to their electrical components due to bad power.

There are occasional threads on this forum about someone sustaining damage. The response is ALWAYS "you should have had an EMS."
Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I havent had damage, but i know 3 people that have. ( well 2 had damage the other had an ems that disconected) and it didnt matter where it was , one was at disney. You never know. I got the ems. My tires are easy to check though. If i had to take off hub caps or had a large 5th wheel I could probably afford both or at least save for them. I figure if it saves the AC , fridge or converter im happy. And TBH its more about the time spent replacing them. Reading here some fridges dont fit in the main door. I would never want to take a slide or window out to replace something like that. Get the ems first, tps nect year. Have fun.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer

I've heard lots of stories of tire blowouts and the damage caused.

I've heard stories about how EMS systems have protected people from damage.

I'd like to know if there are people here who have actually suffered damage because they didn't have an EMS.

-Speak