Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Casting (Mirroring Android Tablet) to TV HDMI port
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Casting (Mirroring Android Tablet) to TV HDMI port

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
ngreen

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have AT&T phone service and Direct TV, I can watch the Direct TV appl on my phone with no data charges, so I hook the phone up through the HDMI cable to the TV and watched Yellowstone Sunday night! Picture is better than Smart View. I bought the HDMI cable on Amazon

Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer,Up in the mountains, down by the ocean,Where don't matter long as we're goin'

jrloucks

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/29/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So Fire TV stick arrived. Pre-configured for me. No real hurdles to start it up. I was surprised it knew our wifi SID and password...that was disturbing.

Casting using my tablet with MirrorShare connected fine to the Fire TV, but this is with the Wifi/network enabled. (I wanted to make sure it worked before I disabled the network, like when we're camping.)

But I ran into a problem with casting Amazon Prime videos (and Disney for that matter). The videos do not play on the TV, the video plays/displays on the tablet, but not the TV. Audio is fine, plus all the extra data (cast bios, trivia, stop/pause buttons all appear on the TV. Just not the video.

A quick search on the Amazon Fire TV forums says this has happened to others in the past. But no real common fix, (software updates don't apply to me because everything is at the latest-and-greatest.)

I posted a new question on the forum about my own 'experience'. I may try casting without the network to see what happens.

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 05:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think it would be much simpler to just use a cable and be done with it unless there is a specific reason on why to go wireless. When I show my phone on the tv its one cable from the phone to the tv and it charges the phone as well.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

jrloucks

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/31/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

austinjenna wrote:

I think it would be much simpler to just use a cable and be done with it unless there is a specific reason on why to go wireless. When I show my phone on the tv its one cable from the phone to the tv and it charges the phone as well.

austinjenna, my original ask was that I wanted the tablet not to be physically tethered to the tv (with a cable). This would be akin to the wired cable tv controllers of the late 1970s. Yes, I may end up going the KISS route with a cable between the two devices. But for now with wireless cast/mirror technology available, I am willing to invest a bit of my $, time, and learn something (good, bad or ugly).

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/01/20 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

austinjenna, my original ask was that I wanted the tablet not to be physically tethered to the tv (with a cable). This would be akin to the wired cable tv controllers of the late 1970s. Yes, I may end up going the KISS route with a cable between the two devices. But for now with wireless cast/mirror technology available, I am willing to invest a bit of my $, time, and learn something (good, bad or ugly).

Yes I read your original ask about going wireless and was simply menioning the easiest and tried and true method that does work. If you think that a wired tv remote from 1970 is the same as your cell phone with an hdmi cable - thats your opinion LOL. You have already learned something about your setup. It doesnt seem to work.

lenr

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 09/04/20 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My favorite way to accomplish the OP's request is to use a Roku connected to the TV and mirror from my Android cell phone. I either stream through an app on the cell phone (Netflix, Sling, CBS All Access, etc.) or use the park WiFi to download to the cell phone (which provides the smoothest delivery). Roku is super easy to set up but does require a WiFi connection. However, when mirroring from the cell phone, it doesn't seem to consume Gigs from the WiFi. We can use slow park WiFi or a cellular based hot spot. We found the Chrome Cast impossibly hard to use, and it seemed to consume a lot of Gigs from the WiFi even when supposedly mirroring from a cell phone.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Casting (Mirroring Android Tablet) to TV HDMI port
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.