Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 01:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought 6 of the COOPER DISCOVERER AT3 LT235/80R-17 for our 2014 Ram DRW in April 2017 before our 13,000 mile AK trip with extensive gravel to Inuvik, etc. After that trip we were generally not too impressed by the wear on the front tires but knew our alignment might be a bit off. The worst front tire was then rotated to one of the inner duallys.

In the 10,000 miles since then we have taken our rig on many unforgiving and hairy forest gravel/rock roads, some falsely advertised as "maintained for passenger vehicles" [emoticon]. We like to get off the beaten path but obviously have a good bit of highway in between these places. The truck is driven very little without our 12' TC in the bed and we never tow.

Well, coming back from Flagstaff on I-17, we hear a clunk in front passenger wheel well and figured it was a rock that finally dislodged. Another mile and we hear a rythmic clunk clunk and pull over. A good chunk of tread had peeled off and separation in other areas all around. Thankfully the tire held pressure. Ohter front has worrisome areas. So, we have 3 1/2 years and fewer than 23,000 miles on these tires. Failure seems a bit extreme to us. We are always careful with rock and sidewalls, but maybe we are pushing these tires too hard?? We travel really light but usually have at least 1/2 to full tank of water. We contacted Cooper tires, so we'll see what they do with their warranty.

[image]

[image]

So now we are tire shopping for 6 new ones. We have narrowed it down to these 4 all in original size. Analysis paralysis has struck. Would appreciate any thoughts given our load, driving habits, etc. Don't need snow capability (live in the desert and try to stay away from that stuff). Just want something with good wear, that can handle rocks/gravel we seem to often find ourselves in. Prices are nearly the same.

1. Falken Wildpeak A/T3W
2. BF Goodrich ALL TERRAIN T/A KO2
3. General GRABBER A/TX
4. Toyo Open Country A/T III

Thanks and sorry for bringing up tires, yet again.[emoticon]

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't give up on Cooper's.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 01:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would say you have a valid complaint since it clearly states on their website advertising these tires that The Discoverer® AT3 XLT™ with Durable Tread™ Technology hauls heavy loads with less wear and are built to withstand ongoing assault from dirt and gravel Pretty much sounds like that's how they were used!

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

You can't put a porcupine in a barn, set it on fire, and expect to make licorice.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 01:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What was the thread warranty on them?
My 2017 Ford dually come on Michelin.
They did show slight cupping on front at 25k, so I rotated them even turned out the alurims package gave me only 4 aluminium rims +3 steel rims and the alurims were polished only on 1 side.
Anyway, at 30k miles they still have about 8 mm thread and yes, I was at end of Alaskan highway.
My camper scaled over 6000 lb on return trip.
Those Alaskan rocks are heavy.
I am not tire expert, but I know when Firestone tires had series that would drop gators, resulting in about 60 reported deaths- there was huge recall on them.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those old Firestone's in the late 90s/early 2000's were a disaster. My buddy had them on his F350 service truck. One at a time, they all failed.

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

These are the AT3 not the XLT version. We would maybe go with the XLT but they seemingly don't fit our truck, hence the possible brand switch.

The Cooper Tire Limited Warranty applies down to 2/32nds of treadwear remaining or 72 months from date of purchase, whichever comes first. Read that for LT tires it is down to 4/32. Think we are good on that.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmmm. Glad no one was injured.

I had similar failure on last truck w/Nitto’s. They did honor warranty (actually Tire Rack did...) and I replaced with the KO2’’s.
The KO2’s had the greatest load index I could find for 16” wheels.

You might check for your size. I was pleased with the KO2’s.

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What trie pressures were you running?

Back in the 70's I ran Cooper Tires on my Broncos which saw LOTS of rock crawling, gravel/dirt paths etc and rear differential was a Detroit Locker so asphalt roads were tough on tires.
Coopers always performed well.

Jump forward ----
2007 Dodge 3500 towing 14K 5vr ran Michelin AT2s. Great wear/very good service but pricy
2 yrs ago time for new tires.....SO bought some Cooper Discoverer ATs
I hate them!!
Cold mornings they 'feel' like square tires until they warm up, suck up gravel/rocks and then throw them but they are wearing evenly

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front at 80 psi, rears at 70.

toddb

az

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put continental terrain contact a/t’s last year and I’m really happy how they work so far.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.