Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thedavidzoo wrote:

Front at 80 psi, rears at 70.

What kind of weight on front tires that they require 80psi?

And in 2nd picture roughly 2/3 way down...IS that a NAIL/Screw Head sticking out of the tread

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 03:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sure nice that it held air!
Generally I've had good luck with Coopers. You can try for warranty, but it mostly won't be worth much. You have a warrantable failure it appears, but it's a $200 tire that looks like it might be reimbursed about $60.
Treadwear warranty is another thing for the rest of the tires WHEN they get down to 2/32, but at that point, the cupped front tires, lack of proof of proper and required interval rotations (if you don't have any) and the general wear of the tires will mostly if not wholly negate that warranty too. Between front tire wear, hard use and heavy weights, tires don't last as long.

Tread separation "should" not happen however, no idea and its a great possibility that the tire was damaged somewhere along the way over the last 23k miles of rough use and heavy loads. It happens. I've snapped brand new $150 hockey sticks the second time on the ice, damaged new tires on the first road trip, etc.
In the short term, if you get a warranty that's worthwhile, that's good and you're back on the road with 1 new front tire.

On to new tires and what you can do for your truck.
First, most duallies, especially diesels are hard on front tires. You take the heaviest pickup truck front axle weight made and put it on the smallest tires possible. That means any minor inconsistencies in alignment, balance, every stress on the tire is proportionally greater than even a similar srw diesel truck with much wider tires with much greater load ratings. Those little tires are rated at barely over 3klbs. The empty curb weight of your truck is right about 5000lbs, so if any of the camper weight is on the front axle, half the passenger weight, back seat stuff, front accessories, etc, you can easily be running near or at the max load rating of those tires. Combine that with your driving style and area (mountains and lots of them), bad roads, lots of sharp turns, and you can see how it will affect the front tires especially.
Combine that with Ram's sometimes not great factory alignment and caster and that truck is hard on front tires in your config/driving style and tire size.
Best thing for tire wear you could do is find a dedicated closed shoulder steering tire. But in keeping with all terrain tires and front to rear matching, that's not super practical.
Keep the weak 17" offerings in mind, I'd be looking at Toyo M55 tires as a first choice for durability and toughness.
I would also consider very strongly, upping the size to the max that will fit on the rear. However you'll never get better than a 121 load index in 17" wheels so only a couple hundred lb gain in capacity s possible with 17s, from where youre at now.

Less siping will decrease tire wear under heavy loads.
Max pressure, if you weren't already running 80 psi up front will decrease tire wear, remember, you're maxed out with 235s on that truck.
I'd put the biggest widest tire I could on. 255 80 17s or 265 70 17s, whatever fits on the duals right.

Next step up is find some 18" aftermarket wheels that you can run wider tires on and get a real bump in load capacity, or 19.5s, which are ideal when running heavy all the time.
Hope this helps

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

thedavidzoo wrote:

And in 2nd picture roughly 2/3 way down...IS that a NAIL/Screw Head sticking out of the tread

Looks like a rock in the tread, but it's evident those tires have seen some real fun! Lot's of smiles per mile came out of those tires... Not a pavement princess like most people's rigs!

With that truck, 60psi in front barely covers the empty curb weight.
65 would be about right for that truck empty, just commuting or running bobtail. I wouldn't even pull out of the driveway with less than 75 psi in those front tires. Hence my statement about them being maxed out.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And before replacing those tires, I'd get an alignment. 0 toe and 4.5+ deg of caster with as close to 0 cross caster as possible.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would switch to Toyo.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Lwiddis

Camping near Pearsonville, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you positive there was no road hazard?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No road hazard can create gator.
It can be only overheating the tire (too low pressure) or factory defect.

billtex

RI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/18/20 06:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Old-Biscuit wrote:

thedavidzoo wrote:

Right. I am curious also as to why the high psi up front?
Typically the front is un-weighted or very lightly loaded with a TC while the rear axle (of course) has the bulk of the load.

What did you find at the scales?

I know you have a bit of a unicorn for a camper, curious as to scale weights.

Thx, Bill

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Do you guys understand tire pressure vs load vs tire size? Or do you just choose to ignore responses that explain your questions? Or do you think I’m wrong? And if so, why?

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/18/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I put Bridgestone on my truck last year, so far very happy with them.

If you bought those at Discount, I am 100% that they would cover that under road hazard. One of the reasons I buy all my tires from them.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.