Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 01:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BurbMan wrote:

I have a 2015 3500 SRW diesel and the door sticker says 60 psi front, 80 psi rear.

Apples and oranges Burbman.
Hence my post why SRW diesel pickups tend to have less front tire issues than drws. Bigger, wider, much higher rated tires on the front of a srw vs the pizza cutters on a dually.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/19/20 01:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Close to 4 years and over 20,000 miles of rough and gravel roads carrying a heavy camper! What do you expect?

I have had worse. I drove 20 miles on a gravel road with new Michelin tires and had a sharp rock drive right through the center of the tread of one of those tires and totally destroyed it. The guy at the tire shop told me it happens all the time.

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, we do expect and have had puncture issues on various roads. Our tire plug kit took care of those nicely. We also expect tread wear. What we didn't expect, even with lots of gravel and rocks, is the tread separation.

Swung by Discount Tire and they confirmed tread separation on 4 of our 6 tires, 2 fronts, 1 dually each side. Probably some kind of defect. Fronts still had 7/32, rears 8/32. Cooper Tire will give us a prorated amount toward new ones.

Talking to the Discount Tire guy, we are now considering the updated version of Cooper Discoverer AT/3 LT and the new Toyo AT3. He does not recommend the KO2 as the heavy truck/torque will shred them faster.

Question now is according to sales guy:
4 new Cooper tires for rear and put remaining 2 supposedly ok tires on front until they are done (slight change in tread design), not liking this option
or 2 new in front, 2 new one side dually, 2 old other side, seems weird
or 6 new Toyos and keep old Coopers as spares, probably this one...

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I learned along time ago you want your best tires on the front,for obvious reasons..i would put the new on the front..JMHO

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I remember right, I think you can tell if all of the tires are from the same lot or not. At least, you can tell if they have the same date codes. If they are in the same lot or are produced about the same time, I wouldn’t keep any of them on my truck. I think Cooper should refund those at the same time. The chances of those other two not failing is not very good in my opinion.

As far as brand goes, I have no experience with Coopers.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

shum02 wrote:

I put Coopers on my F350 and had wear issues as well. Replaced them after 2 years and around 35K miles and went back to GY's. No defects in them just unusually rapid wear on all four corners

They were not worth the savings.

I just switched to Cooper HT3s for my F-250 because after 3 sets the Goodyear Duratrac did not last like I thought they should.

I have always had good luck with Cooper tires so it was a natural switch for me.

OP, those tires have seen LOTS of gravel, haven't they? I grew up living on gravel, I have seen that before.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

MORSNOW

Mountain Home, ID

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I replaced my factory Michelin AT2's when they wore out with less than 30,000 miles with Cooper AT3 XLT's. For those that may not know current Cooper AT3's come in three different designs 4S designed for SUV's, LT, & XLT for heavy loads.

2014 Wolf Creek 850SB
2012 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD

7,220# Truck/10,400# Camper Fully Loaded

shum02

Burlington ON CDA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

shum02 wrote:

I put Coopers on my F350 and had wear issues as well. Replaced them after 2 years and around 35K miles and went back to GY's. No defects in them just unusually rapid wear on all four corners

They were not worth the savings.

I just switched to Cooper HT3s for my F-250 because after 3 sets the Goodyear Duratrac did not last like I thought they should.

I have always had good luck with Cooper tires so it was a natural switch for me.

OP, those tires have seen LOTS of gravel, haven't they? I grew up living on gravel, I have seen that before.

I did the complete opposite. The Duratracs have twice the mileage on them as the HT3's and way more tread left. Superior snow traction, abrasion resistance and they look WAY better on the truck.

What works for you, works for you.

2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

deltabravo

Spokane, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

thedavidzoo wrote:

We travel really light

Define "really light"?

Sadly, those tires have seen a rough life.

I have the same tires on my dually and they have performed flawlessly. I've had them since 2014. I will probably replace them due to end of shelf life instead of "end of tread life." Tread still looks good on them, but I never go off pavement.

2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2009 Arctic Fox 811 (bought new 11/9/09)
2018 Timber Ridge 24RLS (bought pre-owned 3/12/20, sold 7/28/20)
2008 Haulmark 8.5x20 toy box trailer

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 06:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deltabravo wrote:

Define "really light"?

Sadly, those tires have seen a rough life.

Just an obvious question for you ...

How can you possibly say they’ve had a rough life when you don’t even know how much he’s carrying? [emoticon]

I think we are talking about defects in the tires in his case. As noted, I’ve never used Coopers, but based on this thread, it seems reasonable to think that it’s possible that thedavidzoo has experienced multiple defects. That is, unless you think it is acceptable for the tread to separate from the rest of the tire.

I think the phrase ... YMMV definitely applies when we are talking about tires. [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Cooper tire failure at 65mph - now what?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.