cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

2020 Jayco GrayHawk 29MVP. Do I need to add Surge Protector

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
My new 2020 Jayco GrayHawk Prestige 29 MVP is 30 Amp power. It has a Electronic power Management System to allow the TWO Air conditioners to run on that 30 amps. Question...Is this 'EMS' the same as a Surge Protector like the Progressive Industries EMS PT30X or should I add one?
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"
16 REPLIES 16

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessary. Usually when their is a power Surge may be during a serious storm and THATS when you don't want to go out to play with the power. I 'Read' their add as saying "INCLUDED" and thats why I bought from them.. I re-read it again (10th time)today...it no longer says Included.?.?
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Im going to ask s dumb question . I use the same surge protector without a remote.
Why is having a remote necessary on a surge protector ?

it is NOT necessary. I have gone many years without a remote. they can be helpful however.
just thought of a term to describe somebody addicted to one, a fussbudget.
bumpy

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im going to ask s dumb question . I use the same surge protector without a remote.
Why is having a remote necessary on a surge protector ?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
jolooote wrote:
WELL...I've received the Surge Guard from BOAT AND RV ACCESSORIES Co. They sell at their own web site and EBAY. Seems to work...BUT...it didn't come with the "Included Remote LCD readout" nor the alternate plastic weather guard! Reread their add several times and was SURE it says "Included".
Contacted them. They SAY it 'Actually' says..."CAPABILITY for using Remote LCD readout included". The remote must be bought SEPARATELY! I Re-Re-read ad...6 more times... I won't be buying ANYTHING from them again.

so who was right?
bumpy

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
WELL...I've received the Surge Guard from BOAT AND RV ACCESSORIES Co. They sell at their own web site and EBAY. Seems to work...BUT...it didn't come with the "Included Remote LCD readout" nor the alternate plastic weather guard! Reread their add several times and was SURE it says "Included".
Contacted them. They SAY it 'Actually' says..."CAPABILITY for using Remote LCD readout included". The remote must be bought SEPARATELY! I Re-Re-read ad...6 more times... I won't be buying ANYTHING from them again.
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the helpful info. I've decided on the SouthWire Surge Guard #34931 30 Amp Surge Protector WITH its Remote wireless Monitor panel all for $248.
Joe & Charlotte

Gabby & Molly are Dogs

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes tnx Lwiddis,
that's what i'm using, plugged into one of my outlets.
DW is always asking me why do I need to constantly look at this meter ? I really do not have a good answer. I just tell her I don't constantly look at it, I divide my time with the 12v meter on the dash.
Then there is the Scan Gauge, that's a whole other ballgame. :B

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Bobndot, Hughes plug-in volt meters are $15 on Amazon. Mine works well.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi, hope all is well. Yes its an older unit 1980's, I used it when I was a seasonal for 17 years . I don't remember the rate its suppose to boost.
Thank you for pointing that out, I didn't mean to be misleading. I was using the 92v to 110v as a general term for all the pedestals that I tested at the time.
At the time I tested a few pedestals at my neighbors sites. They used my meter to test their pedestals and I remember they all were in the 90's with 92 being the lowest and all went over 100v when we tried the Hughes. To clarify, the Spread was 92v to 110v.
The system Im using seems to work well, I have never had anything burn out. At the times when my was pedestal was very low, I turned off my AC and just tried to protect the rv appliances and converter.

Stay safe ๐Ÿ™‚

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
bobndot wrote:
The last KOA I was at showed 92 volts coming off the pedestal. I then plugged in my 'Hughes Autoformer' to boost me up to 110 v.

I don't understand how you got from 92 volts to 110.

Hughes claims a boost of 10%. 92 volts x 1.1 = 101.2 volts.

"The unit automatically starts boosting 10% if the voltage drops to 113 or below. It will boost 10% until the voltage gets to 90 volts which is the minimum amount of volts for the unit."

Is it an earlier version?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Flute_Man
Explorer
Explorer
If I were you I would buy the best one that Progressive Industries has. This is no place to skimp. I have seen a case where the underground cable from one pesto to another failed and caused high voltage which caused a lot of damage.
If you ever think that you might get another RV in the future that would be 50 A I would get the 50 amp version from PI and use a 3250 amp dog bone adapter. The 50 amp receptacles on the pedestal are usually in better shape than the 30s. Sometimes the 30 amp pedestal receptacles are so worn that they caused an excessive amount of heat at that point.
You may call me on the phone if you want to talk about it further.
Jerry Parr
05 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350
04 Honda CR-V
Ham Radio K7OU
Retired EE
Jrparr32@gmail.com
602-321-8141
Full-timer

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
While your at it, get yourself a plug in volt meter. I keep it plugged in the rv where I can view it. You would be surprised to know how many CG's have poor voltage when they become crowded and everyone is running things like two AC's.

The last KOA I was at showed 92 volts coming off the pedestal. I then plugged in my 'Hughes Autoformer' to boost me up to 110 v.

I protected the Hughes by first installing to the pedestal, a Progressive Industries surge protector SSP-30x @ $100 plugged into the pedestal.
Then I plugged the Hughes into that. The SSP 30x protects the expensive Hughes at approx. $400-500 or whatever they cost today.
Even though the Hughes has a little bit of surge protection built in, it is not that much , that's why I added the SSP/30, it offers protection of the entire package that follows it in line.
The third piece of the puzzle is a Surge Guard 34931 at approx. $350 which protects the rv. That plugs into the Hughes.

So to review the order, its the pedestal, the SSP 30x, the Hughes, then the Surge Guard then into the rv.

An electrician advised me to set it up that way. The idea is to sacrifice the cheapest component, being the $100 PI SSP-30X , to protect the others incl the rv.

So far after using it this way for years, nothing has been damaged and I've been thru power outages and poor state/county grid systems that simply can't handle the loads. I cover the entire package of 3 devices inside an altered tote box to protect it all from rain and keep it all out of sight. Its all padlocked to each other as well as the pedestal. I place 2 extra large dog bowls and a spiked dog collar with a chain on top of the tote box. Nobody has every bothered it and I don't have a dog that big.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
OP, are you concerned with low voltage? An autoformer should be considered IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
and get a multi function surge protector. not a $90 special
bumpy