cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have experience with Palomino Truck campers?

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
I'm in N. California and while familiar with various Class C, trailers, etc., this Palamino brand is new to me.

I could make a case for either hard side or canvas and would appreciate some input. They seem to be priced well, but I don't want cheap quality. Comments welcome and thank you.

https://palominorv.com/truck-campers/backpack-truck-camper
8 REPLIES 8

Mike_and_Terry_
Explorer
Explorer
Good camper for the price. I have a 8801 and traveled to all the lower 48 states with this camper. In the summer it stays mostly at the river. The trick to any camper is put it under roof in the winter ,wash and keep up with sealing ( roof and sides) safe travels

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all. Lots of research and actually seeing one in person to do. Thanks for the info on Northstar. They look great.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Palomino is one of the larger manufacturers. They make pretty much every class of towable/haulable RV.

They're right at the bottom price-wise, so draw your own conclusions from there.

I do own a 2000 Palomino B1500 popup which I've had for several years. Aside from a minor plumbing problem and a busted shower pan, it's done the job. The lap of luxury it is not. It's a place to sleep, and keeps most of the weather out, which is all I need.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mgann
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Northstar Campers. Excellent product and customer service
2014 Chevrolet 1500, crew cab, srw, 2wd, 4.6 gas, Stock class V, 1995 Mallard by Fleetwood model 19n

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
Cheap/quality/junk are usually opinionated terms any time you use them with any type of camper. Especially on this forum.

I had a 2003 8801 that I really liked. It was a fiber glass/polystyrene foam laminated structure with aluminum frame. It weighed less than 2000 lbs. I could hardly tell it was on the truck. I did have to repair some damage caused by leaks but I new it was there when I bought it. They are very easy to work on if required. Very similar to what they are building today.

That said, my wife hated it. She had issues with several things like the bathroom/shower size, the cab over height, and her biggest issue was because the TC had no basement the distance from the floor to the bed was too much.

If the wife isn't happy........ I sold it. The only problem I had with mine was that it did come with extra high quality ear plugs. I don't have to worry about what I say, she does read RV.NET.

She's happy with the Arctic Fox at about 4 times the cost and double the weight.
Joe & Evelyn

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
While I object to their pushing of single axle travel trailers...unsafe..., generally they get good reviews.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jimx200
Explorer
Explorer
S Davis wrote:
There is someone in the “who full times in a truck camper” that says they bought one, might ask her “LadyRVer” directly.

Thank you sir!

S_Davis
Explorer
Explorer
There is someone in the “who full times in a truck camper” that says they bought one, might ask her “LadyRVer” directly.