Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: I've Rediscovered Butter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> I've Rediscovered Butter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
MEXICOWANDERER

las peñas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 09/12/20 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was put on cholesterol medicine 30 years ago. It was a Statin like most. After two months and more blood work, the doctor stopped the Rx. I finally got an answer from him. Mu LDL never was too high, he was tinkering because the latest medical fad was to achieve the greatest numbers spread between LDL and HDL.

Instead, the statin dumped both HDL and LDL
The doctor died in his mid-sixties. My cholesterol hasn't changed two points from normal.

Same with a blood thinner
"Just like that, you decide that my blood is in danger of coagulation?"

I have taken natural blood thinners for many years. Ginkgo Biloba and Ibuprofen. Doctors snort at this but I've noticed both are strictly forbidden before surgery. An old-line school buddy who started his day by mixing various powders and potions in a blender suffered a serious stroke two years ago and still cannot talk or drive a car. He has an explosive temper. My lesson? No temper tantrums driving in Mexican traffic. I avoid confrontations. It isn't worth having a stroke.

I used to carry milk from the milk house to the separator and after going through the machine feed the calves skim milk. That's where I learned at age 10, a calf yanking at the nipple could yank my skinny butt off my feet.

Here in Mexico, butter simply does not exist except for some cheesey tasting yellow bulk called Chipilo from the town of the same name, in Michoacan. Mexicans consume chassis grease, err I mean Table Maid, Now, Sams and Walmart sell Great Buy butter.

I tried churning butter, once. It was similar to trying to make whipping cream or thick mayonnaise. Frustrating.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mexico Wanderer: I was put on statins years ago for cholesterol management. After doing research on statin drugs, I decided they weren't for me. Too many issues, including COQ10 depletion!
Many people don't realize the body needs some cholesterol, especially the brain and various cells in the body.From what I've read, the brain is one big glob of cholesterol.

I do take a blood thinner, though, for stroke prevention after suffering one over 6 years ago (not due to cholesterol, but atrial fibrillation). I've had zero side effects taking Eliquis, so I don't mind taking it thus far.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

Pseudacusis

Dallas, TX

View Profile

Posted: 09/26/20 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been using butter from the start since Smart Balance spread can never replace its taste in my opinion. Its also good when I use it on my Rachael Ray Ceramic cookware.

* This post was edited 10/12/20 02:33am by Pseudacusis *

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pseudacusis wrote:

I have been using butter from the start since Smart Balance spread can never replace it's taste in my opinion.

I agree with you to some extent. I’ve used Smart Balance for years and found it satisfactory. However, I've recently discovered “ I Cant Believe It’s not butter”, and think it approximates butter’s taste the closest that I’ve found thus far. It’s also very easy to spread.

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 09/28/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use pure butter, or butter that we blend with extra virgin olive oil to make it more easily spreadable. We decided years ago that we would not be eating things we cannot pronounce, so no margarines for us.

Our cholesterol levels are just fine.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 09/30/20 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Try breakfasting with oatmeal and half a grapefruit three times a week. A doubting friend tried it and lost 30 points LDL in 4 months.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MEXICOWANDERER wrote:

Try breakfasting with oatmeal and half a grapefruit three times a week. A doubting friend tried it and lost 30 points LDL in 4 months.

X2, except in my case, I’d need to leave out the grapefruit due to possible inter reaction with a certain medication I use.

MEXICOWANDERER

View Profile

Posted: 10/06/20 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed. Always check first. Grapefruit is a powerful tool. Amiodarone for example, is one medicine that is strictly prohibited. Excellent counterpoint mr.ed

doxiemom11

Victoria TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/07/20 04:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can leave salted butter at room temperature and it will not spoil. You then have soft butter to spread on toast etc.

Unsalted butter has to be refrigerated.

We use real butter. Oleo was used to fatten turkeys for thanksgiving - I sure don't need that !

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 04:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

Pseudacusis wrote:

I have been using butter from the start since Smart Balance spread can never replace it's taste in my opinion.

I agree with you to some extent. I’ve used Smart Balance for years and found it satisfactory. However, I've recently discovered “ I Cant Believe It’s not butter”, and think it approximates butter’s taste the closest that I’ve found thus far. It’s also very easy to spread.

Taste? it is still one step away from plastic

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> I've Rediscovered Butter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.