Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: I've Rediscovered Butter
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> I've Rediscovered Butter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 10/08/20 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I eat what I want. Use Butter, Olive oil, eggs, greassy hamburgers and drink real milk
LDL=59.4
HDL=54
Tot=127
triglycerides=68

2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/12/20 04:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hotpepperkid wrote:

I eat what I want. Use Butter, Olive oil, eggs, greassy hamburgers and drink real milk
LDL=59.4
HDL=54
Tot=127
triglycerides=68

I guess those hot peppers are doing you some good! [emoticon]

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)
Life is fragile. Handle with prayer.

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG (sold)
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition (sold)

RayJayco

Tampa

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used salted butter all of my life. Going back to the days of my granny, a stick was always out in the butter dish. What did people do with butter before refrigeration...

My butter dish has never seen the inside of a refrigerator and always has a stick in it. When stick gets small, supplement with another stick to be ready when needed. Never thought about it, a week or so...

OK...I'll spill the beans, ...I will 'scrape' any butter off of the sides to put on toast, even though it could be old, 2 weeks or more!!! [emoticon] (My dish is upside down, using the flat bottom as the top... [emoticon] )

* This post was edited 10/16/20 10:35am by RayJayco *

Inquiring minds want to know...

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/16/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife from Southern Michigan,farm country, her Grandmother fed her butter whenever she came over. She was a small thin girl always on the go. She thought, apparently fresh country butter would put some meat on her bones and make here healthy? Wife wasn't crazy about the idea though.
Grand Ma would sometimes buy "scalded butter"from her cousin. Maybe the idea was to pasturize it? It was white and it didn't help the flavor any.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/16/20 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Real butter", from a farmer, without preservatives, will turn rancid if left out, and, in fact, will turn rancid if refrigerated, albeit after a longer period of time. Having grown up with "home made" butter I have seen it turn nasty.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"Real butter", from a farmer, without preservatives, will turn rancid if left out, and, in fact, will turn rancid if refrigerated, albeit after a longer period of time. Having grown up with "home made" butter I have seen it turn nasty.

I wonder what people in the past did with fresh butter before refrigeration, or even milk for that matter? Just curious. [emoticon]

Wanderlost

Texas Hill Country

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mr. ed wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

I wonder what people in the past did with fresh butter before refrigeration, or even milk for that matter? Just curious. [emoticon]

Some folks had spring houses, where they built a shed over a spring and stored butter, etc. in the coolness of either the building or the water itself.

My grandparents stored the dairy products down in the well. If they had excess milk, they made cheese and aged it in the well, and later in a spring house.

The key was they didn't leave raw dairy products laying around very long, but consumed them quickly.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Mahatma Gandhi

Czarny, black cat

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 10/19/20 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wanderlost wrote:

mr. ed wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Some folks had spring houses, where they built a shed over a spring and stored butter, etc. in the coolness of either the building or the water itself.

My grandparents stored the dairy products down in the well. If they had excess milk, they made cheese and aged it in the well, and later in a spring house.

The key was they didn't leave raw dairy products laying around very long, but consumed them quickly.
Exactly, my dad's parents had a spring house for storing stuff.

mr. ed

Amarillo, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/20 10:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the lesson, Wanderlost and fj12ryder.

* This post was edited 10/24/20 02:12pm by mr. ed *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> I've Rediscovered Butter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.