Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: GVWR over 10k on new truck, need commercial plates?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GVWR over 10k on new truck, need commercial plates?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Mroma23

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 05:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank You all for the advice. In MASS right now RMV is closed and open for appointment only so that is tough. Turns out my insurance agent set it up for personal vehicle insurance with commercial tags. She told me the registry requires commercial plates because of curb weight and GVWR by the VIN, but going the personal policy insurance options saves me money from commercial, a lot actually.

Anyway excited to pickup the new tow rig and hopefully start looking at new fifth wheels or upgrading travel trailer!!! That is the important part.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Insurance lady? Sets up your vehicle registration?

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Taxman2436

Holden, MA

View Profile

Posted: 08/19/20 06:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your insurance co should be able to tell you the requirements. I’m also in MA and speaking with someone at the DMV will not be easy....

Taxman2436
Holden,MA
2019 Ford F-250 6.7 L Diesel
2021 Salem Hemisphere

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 02:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here’s a thought for those pontificating and can’t use the Google. If you’re in MA, do ALL the 1 ton trucks you see have commercial tags or not?

Drew A.

Massachusetts

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 05:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mroma23 wrote:

Thank You all for the advice. In MASS right now RMV is closed and open for appointment only so that is tough. Turns out my insurance agent set it up for personal vehicle insurance with commercial tags. She told me the registry requires commercial plates because of curb weight and GVWR by the VIN, but going the personal policy insurance options saves me money from commercial, a lot actually.

Anyway excited to pickup the new tow rig and hopefully start looking at new fifth wheels or upgrading travel trailer!!! That is the important part.

Don't go with the commercial plates, you do not need them and may regret this later. If you are not using the truck for commercial purposes, get passenger plates. I have a 3500 with a GVWR of 11,700 and I have passenger plates. I am in MA too.

Tell your insurance person how you want it done and make them take care of it.

Good luck

2018 Ram 3500 CTD, 4X4, Laramie, SRW, SB
2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 08/20/20 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something to consider, depending upon the other states you travel into, a passenger plate may only allow the truck plus passenger weight! Start pulling a trailer, load of landscape material, ie bark, mulch, soil, lumber etc, you need a truck/commercial plate. If you come into Was St, no payed for tonnage on that truck, you would be considered overweight. Paying fines, plus putting tonnage on you truck.
In reality you probably won't get pulled over here in Wa St for wieght per say, but if pulled over for speed, lights are out etc, they may notice passenger plate, fine accordingly.
Your call gamble. At least here, everyone buys tags in even 2000 lb increments, your legal to that wieght.
Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 08:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Something to consider, depending upon the other states you travel into, a passenger plate may only allow the truck plus passenger weight! Start pulling a trailer, load of landscape material, ie bark, mulch, soil, lumber etc, you need a truck/commercial plate. If you come into Was St, no payed for tonnage on that truck, you would be considered overweight. Paying fines, plus putting tonnage on you truck.
In reality you probably won't get pulled over here in Wa St for wieght per say, but if pulled over for speed, lights are out etc, they may notice passenger plate, fine accordingly.
Your call gamble. At least here, everyone buys tags in even 2000 lb increments, your legal to that wieght.
Marty

By your explanation then, any person that would like to visit Washington State can't do it legally if they drive a registered vehicle there from any State other than California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and the District of Columbia because Washington State requires emissions standards that meet California standards. That leaves people with registered vehicles from the other 35 States SOL unless they go there by some other means.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe states honor the licensing requirements from a person's home state for personal non commercial vehicles, just like they honor drivers licenses from their state.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it!

Devocamper

West Haven CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here in ct you can register a truck for the max combination plates limit even if the truck has a higher gvwr But don’t get caught over that weight . In my case my truck has a 14k gvwr and I need to be near that weight so I have a commercial registration , no parkways for my truck and it’s a yearly renewal. I know this does help for mass but it could be similar .

08 NU-WA Hitchhiker Discover America 339 RSB Sold
18 Host Mammoth
07 Chevy 3500HD LT1 EXT Cab LB DRW D/A Sold
18 Ram 3500 SLT Crew Cab DRW 4x2 6.4 4.10's

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost all pick up in NY have commercial plates. From your perspective it means nothing. Don't need DOT numbers, don't need to stop at scales,nothing.
Only thing it does is solidify your registered weight. You can gat an over weight ticket if you are.
I think the cut off curb weight is 5k for passenger. My 13Ram 1500 just made the cut off for passenger plates.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> GVWR over 10k on new truck, need commercial plates?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.