cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Strange signal light problem when towing

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Our class C often tows a utility trailer with 2 kayaks. Something happened to the wiring in the hitch area and I had to reconnect the wires from the trailer to the 4 wire plug. I must have made a mistake because using the right turns signal light now causes both left and right signal lights to flash on the MH and the driving lights on the sides and high up on the back.

When I use a different tow vehicle to pull the same trailer, everything works. Does this mean the problem is in the hitch wiring on the MH? I have a little 4 wire tester plug and it shows everything okay.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed
4 REPLIES 4

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Got it working in an hour or so. Wiring diagrams and colour codes on the web were no help. What works . . .

MH Utility Trailer function
----------------------------------
white white ground
brown green/black right signal ?
yellow yellow left signal ?
green dark green running lights
brown/yellow N/C

the trailer is from Home Depot

The cause of the MH signal lights going rogue was, of course, one wire connected to another wire from the MH, because of colour code confusion. I have not yet tried using the trailer on the van where the problem didn't occur.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Trailer works on other vehicle. Problem in MH!
Connect on MH needs to be checked.
What style of connector on MH?
Wiring diagram

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
pull the ground off the trailer ,clean to bare metal bolt back on trailer. 995 of light problems start with a bad ground . grnd wire is white.

X2
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
pull the ground off the trailer ,clean to bare metal bolt back on trailer. 995 of light problems start with a bad ground . grnd wire is white.