Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RV Crash

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Copied from another forum I visit.

In the afternoon of 08/17/20, while traveling on US-395 near the Secret Valley Rest Area, the driver of a motorhome, for unknown reasons, allowed his vehicle to drift to the left off the roadway. The vehicle struck the hillside bordering US-395. The impact caused the entire body of the motorhome to separate from the chassis. The body of the motorhome, including the driver who was still seatbelted in the driver's seat, tipped over on its side onto US-395. Both the body and chassis continuted sliding on the roadway before finally coming to a stop in the lanes of US-395.
Amazingly, no injuries were sustained to the driver! The motorhome, however, made need a little attention....

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU
10 REPLIES 10

wildmanbaker
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
naturist wrote:
Somebody neglected to install the bolts that hold the body to the chassis. My bet is on a BIG lawsuit.

Yup Workhorse Club posted that same photo with the bit about the lack of bolts. Or I added they may have put the bolts in but forgot to tighten them

I have had some work done on my RV and after one motor mount bolt went off by itself and one other bolt and the other motor mount bolt. Well I removed the nut with my fingers (no wrench) I put it back on with a wrench an and some special BLUE oil.. I don't think it will come off by itself again.... (Made by locktite).
Unless they have changed the build of the "Raised Platform", it is welded to the F53 chassis, not bolted. Or, someone really found a production time improvement, but may not be very longed lived.:S
Wildmanbaker

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
surprised the vehicle would separate like that

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I did not notice the lack of License plate. Good catch
And good one on separation anxiety.

True story. A caravan of customized vans was en-route from the customization shop in Detroit. Mi back south via I-75.

Well it often happens that oh I-75 in Detroit there is a traffic back up long about Porter Street or just south of Michigan Ave. there is a very bad reason for this backup and .. well. he just died, but that's another story,

The lead van, and most of the ones behind it. all slowed down and basically stopped almost bumper to bumper.

The last driver in the caravan did NOT slow down.
Only one van escaped unharmed (the lead van) the rest needed to return to the body shop. (no physical injuries but I suspect one driver needed new employment) .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Looks like a bad case of separation anxiety...

Thankful the driver was not hurt. That's all that really matters.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
naturist wrote:
Somebody neglected to install the bolts that hold the body to the chassis. My bet is on a BIG lawsuit.

Yup Workhorse Club posted that same photo with the bit about the lack of bolts. Or I added they may have put the bolts in but forgot to tighten them

I have had some work done on my RV and after one motor mount bolt went off by itself and one other bolt and the other motor mount bolt. Well I removed the nut with my fingers (no wrench) I put it back on with a wrench an and some special BLUE oil.. I don't think it will come off by itself again.... (Made by locktite).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I noticed that this unit doesn't have a tag on it which tells me this was a new unit in transit to a dealer or the buyer? The biggest problem is the lack of Quality Control by the manufacturer...
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

naturist
Nomad
Nomad

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Is it for sale?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
That'll buff out. There appears to be an engineering issue or manufacturing mistake with the way the body was attached to the chassis.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
I'd say if the driver fell asleep they woke up, quickly.