cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TT Tire Recommendation

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
Had a blowout coming home last month and now have no confidence in the OEM "Trailer King" tires so getting ready to purchase new tires for my TT. Was going to purchase the Goodyear Endurance but now won't buy anything from GY. Looking at the Carlisle HD, which I've had before and had no problems. Anyone have any other recommendations before I pull the plug.Thanks....
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch
29 REPLIES 29

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
And that's the last word.

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

bstar1952
Explorer
Explorer
OP here, my apologies for my original post, which by the way had nothing to do with politics. I simply had bad tires from a company that I won't purchase from again. I guess toxic politics have a way of tarnishing everything in America these days.
Bstar1952
Bandera, Texas
2020 Ram 2500,6.4 Hemi
2019 (East to West) Della Terra 29KRK
Fastway E2 WHD Hitch

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
Of all the research Iโ€™ve done over the years about products I buy, political feeling of the executives has never been a concern. That a president would push for the failure of an American company over political differences is very concerning. Think about that. Take all the time you need. Iโ€™ll buy my next set of trailer tires based on cost, quality and preferably made in The USA. Definitely not based on the companyโ€™s dress code.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

daugen
Explorer
Explorer
this is why politics and religion are banned from all regular forums.
It puts folks on edge and reactive, makes nice folks nasty and in the end accomplishes nothing since most folks who post about either have their minds set before they start.

please guys, just stop...most of us don't want to keep reading this.
I came here to get educated on tires, not your personal philosophies on life. And I have strong opinions on this matter and I'm sure not going to share them with you. Just not the appropriate place.

tewitt1949
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer came with 10 ply Goodyears, and they lasted 16 years and still looked like new. Finally the tread came off one so I figured it was time for new tires. So my tire dealer had 10 ply tires but I asked if he had any thing heavier duty? He said he had some 14 ply tires used on equipment trailers for $20 per tire more. I said go for it. After 3 radical blow outs with in 5000 miles, and finding out they were made in china, I said enough is enough. I then went to 10 ply Michlin. I've never heard anything bad about Mishlin but we will see. Only had them 1 year, so far so good.
Terry Witt

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bstar1952, Here are a few things to consider. I am with you, no politics from me.
The Goodyear Marathons and Carlisle tires of old are no longer with us. A mistake made by a manufacturer a dozen years ago does not mean they make the same tire today.I bought a new hybrid trailer in 2004 and it came with Carlisle tires that were trouble. One blew in the first few months and Carlisle covered my replacement of all 5 of them with a different brand. I purchased an Airstream that was three years old and had very few miles on the Goodyear Marathons. They were showing signs of tread separation so I replaced them with Maxxis. These were great tires and I got good performance from them.
When it was time to replace tires I went with the new Carlisle HD and moved up to LRE. These have been the best of all. I have over 22k miles on them and they still look great. They also hold air better than all of the others.

So, the Goodyear Endurance, Maxxi and the new Carlisle HD are all good tires. Don't listen to those who rant because of politics or past performance from years ago. My suggestion is to buy from a reputable dealer, get them balanced and make sure you have a load range tire that will cover the weight of your trailer and then some. Have a good margin and keep watching them and make sure they are aired up properly.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
bdosborn wrote:
Google "Goodyear Marathon Failure" and you'll find out while I'll never buy another Goodyear product.

Not sure if you can say there is a problem with a manufacturer and compare a discontinued tire to their latest products. With that Marathon tires worked great for many people. Mine are 7 years old and have worked fine up until this last trip, my blowout was not due to a tire failure but a suspension shackle failure. In 5 years we have had multiple trips of almost 2000 miles as well as other long trips. Most tire failures are due to inflation issues, overloaded tires, or just plain old tires.

Actually, after our tire issue this past week, I have 3 different tires on my trailer. 2 Marathon 7 year old tires. One OEM 15 year old tire, and 1 new tire. Checking temps on a 90+ degree drive, the new tire was noticeably hotter than the other 3. Not sure why, new rubber, more tread, not sure, but it was around 140 where the others barley got over 120. The non GY tires are china made.

My next tires will more than likely be GY. I have GY on 2 of my vehicles and they have been great, even the GoodYear Eagle mentioned in an earlier post. In addition I will put an E rated LT tire since they are a better built tire than an ST tire per the tire guys (GY Wrangler, same as tow vehicle). I think if you want better confidence in tires, you need to go from a 10 to 12 to 16 ply tire vs looking at other issues. If you aren't replacing tires every 5-6 years than tire issues are not the manufacturers fault as they say that a trailer tire is only good for 5-6 years then wear out due to under utilization not tread wear.

To the OP - if you don't want to let people know what tire size and load you need, then the info is just peoples opinion and not fact or experience. Finally, my opinion, I do not want to buy tires not made in the US. Electronics, fine, but not tires. Too important.

Explorer II
Explorer II
GY makes great performance tires but they do wear quickly. So far my GY ST Endurance are great tires.
GY or Goya? Red or Blue? Divided we fall
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree Goodyear has some low end tires too. Get the top line or get another brand.
My OEM GY AT/S lasted just short of 90,000 miles and performed very well in all conditions.

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™ll buy the Endurance when I need TT tires, only because they seem to be the best right now, plus USA made.
However, Goodyear IS allowing certain political statements, not limiting all. Hypocrites!
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

daugen
Explorer
Explorer
I also say thumbs up to Maxxis tires. Had a set for seven years on a utility trailer and they held up great. Seems Carlisle and other companies keep getting burned trying to outsource tires to China in order to hit a lower price point. Had same problem on John Deere diesel garden tractor, front Chinese Carlisles wore out in five years, rears made in USA looked like new. I would trust South Korean tires btw, they seem to set high standards, unlike Chinese tires where you just have to get lucky to get a good tire.

Tires are such an important safety item, this is where it seems to make sense to buy the very best you can find. Thankfully Tirerack.com is becoming more active here and offering some alternatives.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a set of Goodyear's a few years back. They pulled hard to the left so I got rid of them.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

bdosborn
Explorer
Explorer
Google "Goodyear Marathon Failure" and you'll find out while I'll never buy another Goodyear product.
2010 6.5'X11' TTT - Boxcar
Custom Frame, Poptop, AC, Espar Diesel Furnace, HW Heater, Sink, Shower, 12V-120V, LED Lights, TV and XM Radio, DVD Player, 300W PV Panels, PD 9140 Charger, Tongue Box, Filon Exterior, 1000W Generator, Patient Wife
Boxcar Build

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
I bought the Goodyr Indurance tires. Made in the USA
samsontdog:o:W