Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Members who have had by-pass surgery.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Members who have had by-pass surgery.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Randall Rice

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had quadruple bypass surgery last November 1. I spent a week in the hospital and then was restricted for another five weeks to light activity, but could walk as much as my physical ability would let me. With my six-week checkup, I was released to do whatever I wanted. The doctor's words" if it hurts, stop doing it, but otherwise do whatever you want. Chest exercises are limited for a couple more months. I now do whatever I want at nine months. It returned my ability to be active and enjoy my life!

kknowlton

southeast Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/20/20 10:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My father had a quad bypass in his mid-60s, and probably took about 7-9 months to fully recover. He was a good boy and followed doctor's orders about eating, smoking (he quit) and exercising, even walking every day a week or less after the operation, even though he said his leg hurt. (He had more pain in the leg where the vein had been taken from than he did in the chest, interestingly.) The surgery was probably the best thing he ever did, and he continued with an exercise regimen for years afterward.
He always thought he would die in his 60s, but he lived almost to 91, and the bypass never had to be repeated or "fixed." [emoticon]
Best of luck to you - I hope your results are at least as good as his were!

2007 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2013 Rockwood Mini-Lite 2502S

Jack_Diane_Freedom

Burlington Ontario Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 03:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend Tom had a triple bypass last winter and went back to working as a firefighter about 8 weeks later. Passed the physical with no problem. Of course he was in his early 50's and in great physical shape when the heart attach hit.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 04:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

each person is different, you could be back in 4month or never, no scare stuff here each is really different. you have no choice so suck it up, and you,ll do just fine. buddy had his in nov and in may he was fishing on lake erie jumping around like a kid.

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Had quadruple bypass in April of 2005 at age 62. Six weeks later I was on my way to a 6 week trip around the country in my motorhome. (not the one in my sig) Everyone has a different experience, but I was one of the fortunate ones. No damage to the heart itself and I worked hard during rehab to recover.

As a side note, that was the most stressful trip I had ever taken. Started with an engine replacement (1985 Winnebago) only 3 days into the trip in the middle of Missouri and chronic generator problems throughout the rest of the trip. I survived mainly because of attitude. A good attitude will go a long way to recovery. GOOD LUCK!

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am sorry to hear the news. What is your EF, heart efficiency? That helps determine your options.

My Dad and my uncle both had 4 way bypasses when they were in their 60s. My Dad is 95 and still lives at home, walks without aids and is active in the stock market. He drives 3 sports cars.

My uncle was playing tennis at 90, but he passed away two weeks ago at age 93.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 12:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Randall Rice wrote:

I had quadruple bypass surgery last November 1. I spent a week in the hospital and then was restricted for another five weeks to light activity, but could walk as much as my physical ability would let me. With my six-week checkup, I was released to do whatever I wanted. The doctor's words" if it hurts, stop doing it, but otherwise do whatever you want. Chest exercises are limited for a couple more months. I now do whatever I want at nine months. It returned my ability to be active and enjoy my life!

Sounds like my neighbor. He had to take it "slow and steady" for a while but now works hard at his farm.

Kevin

Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After years of watching my weakening aortic valve, I went ahead with open heart surgery in april 2011. Had a mechanical aortic valve installed along with 1 bypass and repair of the aorta. Not quite what you will have but the open heart part should be the same. I won't really try to spell out details but you already know there will be discomfort, etc. The worst part for me was lots of coughing(lungs) and some glitches which extended my hospital stay and required readmission; I think not terribly unusual. Once I was fit for rehab then improvement was good. We cancelled a planned seasonal job at Glacier NP because it would have been early for lifting. But we still visited the Park and hiked at 6000 ft. in mid-summer. Also have a pacemaker and everything works extremely well. I do anything I want including hiking, biking and walking. My 77 years is starting to slow me down now more than anything heart related.

Jayco-noslide

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the reply's everyone. I feel good about doing it and will find out Wednesday when it will be.
Thanks again.
Eddie

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing with Disabilities and General Health Issues

> Members who have had by-pass surgery.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing with Disabilities and Ge...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.