Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Picking Up New (to me) Ram 2500 CTD, a few questions
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Picking Up New (to me) Ram 2500 CTD, a few questions

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After debating 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, came across a good deal on a 2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 with the CTD and only 50K miles. Picking it up this afternoon. My previous diesel experience was an '05 F250 with the 6.0. With that, there were all kinds of additives folks recommended, such as seamfoam, cetane booster or adding oil to the fuel tank and frequent oil changes and fuel filters.

Looking online, I'm seeing oil changes every 6mo or 15K miles and fuel filter once a year. Is this good? Synthetic?

My F-250 did not have the exhaust brake and the Ram does. Should I always use the exhaust brake or only when towing or only when towing grades?

What else should I know or be ready for?

Thanks

wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 06:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2014 since new . I never add anything except fuel . Synthetic oil always at 10k or so . Exhaust brake , most of time . My truck it is sometimes difficult to use tow/haul and exhaust brake at the same time when going down long mountain grades , I will turn off tow/haul on long decent.

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make sure the recall work has been done, especially the water pump. The original pump in mine failed at 30k-ish miles and left us in a pretty good bind. Beyond that just fuel and do the recommended fluid changes. I've always run synthetic oil in mine mostly because of cold winters. If I didn't see below zero temps every winter I may just run the standard stuff.

I throw my exhaust brake on for more than just towing but I don't use it all the time. When I'm towing I always have it on and set it to Auto mode, along with T/H.

You won't regret stepping up to a diesel, and you got a pretty good one. I've really enjoyed my '15.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 06:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RAM is a whole different truck than a Ford 6.0. The RAM should just need basic fluids and maintenance (like a truck should). The 6.0 was a temperamental engine that required exacting care and maintenance to prevent disaster.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 long box with the CTD and it's my first diesel as well. There is a "Diesel Supplement" to the owner's manual that gives you all the details on filters, etc. If it wasn't in the truck you can download it from the Ram site. You're about right on the filters, there are oil life and fuel filter life monitors in the vehicle details display.

FYI, there are 2 fuel filters on these trucks, and the dealer will get about $500 to change both and do an oil change. You can DIY for about 1/2 of that.

One key thing I have learned: There is no fuel cap but apparently there are two flappers in the fuel filler neck...if the diesel nozzle isn't in the filler as far as it will go, fuel with splash out.

Good news is that these years still used the Bosch CP3 injection pump, not the new CP4 which apparently has been problematic for all of the big 3 in diesel trucks.

Good luck and congrats on the new truck!!

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

richclover

WY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 07:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packpe89 wrote:

After debating 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, came across a good deal on a 2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 with the CTD and only 50K miles. Picking it up this afternoon. My previous diesel experience was an '05 F250 with the 6.0. With that, there were all kinds of additives folks recommended, such as seamfoam, cetane booster or adding oil to the fuel tank and frequent oil changes and fuel filters.

Looking online, I'm seeing oil changes every 6mo or 15K miles and fuel filter once a year. Is this good? Synthetic?

My F-250 did not have the exhaust brake and the Ram does. Should I always use the exhaust brake or only when towing or only when towing grades?

What else should I know or be ready for?

Thanks

You’ve already got some good info here.

Right, oil and filter changes every 6 months per Cummins regardless of miles unless you top 15,000 sooner. Seems like a waste but, IMHO, oil and filters are cheap. I have the fuel filters changed once a year regardless of the filter life indicator. Same reasoning.

I always use the exhaust brake, towing or not.

I love towing my Chaparral 5’er with the Cummins. Tow/Haul and Auto exhaust brake. Just got home from a 3000+ mile road trip. Lotsa up and downhill, mostly head- and crosswind, 70 mph, averaged 9 mpg.

Have fun! Safe travels!

Rich
2018 Ram 4X4 2500HD Cummins
2020 Chaparral 336TSIK
2019 RAM 1500 Classic 4X4 Hemi
2019 CanAm Maverick Sport 1000
SW WY

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the 6.0 was not a good start into diesels...
Glad to hear about the Bosch
Plan to DIY the filters, Mopar or is there another good choice?

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$500 for fuel filter changes?!!!!!!!!
9mpg from a diesel truck?!!!!!!!!!!

Lwiddis

Bishop area, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Me too, jdc.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Flashman

Tucson, Aizona, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 08:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

$500 for fuel filter changes?!!!!!!!!
9mpg from a diesel truck?!!!!!!!!!!

Buy filters on Amazon. 40$. DYI in about 1/2 hour. Only a fool pays dealer prices.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Picking Up New (to me) Ram 2500 CTD, a few questions
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.