cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picking Up New (to me) Ram 2500 CTD, a few questions

packpe89
Explorer
Explorer
After debating 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton, came across a good deal on a 2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 with the CTD and only 50K miles. Picking it up this afternoon. My previous diesel experience was an '05 F250 with the 6.0. With that, there were all kinds of additives folks recommended, such as seamfoam, cetane booster or adding oil to the fuel tank and frequent oil changes and fuel filters.

Looking online, I'm seeing oil changes every 6mo or 15K miles and fuel filter once a year. Is this good? Synthetic?

My F-250 did not have the exhaust brake and the Ram does. Should I always use the exhaust brake or only when towing or only when towing grades?

What else should I know or be ready for?

Thanks
23 REPLIES 23

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Check out the TDR Site

I change my oil filter from the top same as the two previous RAM. There is a thread on there about how to do it.

I use no additives, only Peak Blue DEF, mostly from WM. Drive it like you stole it and use the EB all the time, it will save the service brakes and keep the turbo actuator working.

Lower the rear tires to around 45 pounds when not towing or carrying a load and the ride will be improved a lot. Front tires at 60 or so all the time, no need to adjust.

Enjoy the new ride. Chris

I go through the wheel well for oil changes, I have looked at over the top, but the wheel well works for me.

I will add that I buy my filters from Geno's Garage great service and quality parts. This is my last all filter order. I use a STRATAPORE oil filter, which is a better filter than the standard.

Geno's Garage

Item # Description Qty Price
FS_68197867AB FUEL & WATER SEPARATOR (CHASSIS MOUNTED) MOPAR ('13-'18, 6.7L) - 68197867 1 $52.95
FS53000 FUEL FILTER - NANONET - FLEETGUARD ('10-'20, 6.7L) - FS53000 1 $69.95
LF16035 OIL FILTER - FLEETGUARD - STRATAPORE ('89-'20, 6.7L & 5.9L) - LF16035 1 $14.95
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

whjco
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations on your new truck! I have a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD that I purchased new. I just do oil changes and fuel filter changes (there are two fuel filters) and the only time that I've ever used any fuel additive was when I got hold of some fuel with water in it, otherwise it doesn't need anything.

The cheapest place I've found to buy DEF is WalMart. I always use my engine brake and I have 92k on the truck with about 60% left on its original factory brakes. As for dependability, your old 6.0L isn't even in the same league as that Cummins. It's a super dependable engine with an amazing amount of power when towing.
Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

IDman
Explorer
Explorer
We lived in Colorado when we had our last Dodge diesel and I loved exhaust brake while in mountains! With cruise control and E/B together you could descend 10-11,000 ft. passes without touching the brake. I used it in town also, especially when on and off the freeways.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out the TDR Site

I change my oil filter from the top same as the two previous RAM. There is a thread on there about how to do it.

I use no additives, only Peak Blue DEF, mostly from WM. Drive it like you stole it and use the EB all the time, it will save the service brakes and keep the turbo actuator working.

Lower the rear tires to around 45 pounds when not towing or carrying a load and the ride will be improved a lot. Front tires at 60 or so all the time, no need to adjust.

Enjoy the new ride. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:
$500 for fuel filter changes?!!!!!!!!
9mpg from a diesel truck?!!!!!!!!!!

that high price was DEALER Service

9 mpg is towing a heavy high profile 5vr at 70MPH

Nothing out of the ordinary

OP.....
No additives required
Oil/fuel filter changes routinely.....clean oil/clean fuel and engine will last LONG Time

Exhaust Brake......that is a Variable Geometry Turbocharger (VGT)
It uses a sliding nozzle ring that varies the power from turbo and amount of air delivered to engine
TURN IT ON and always run with it ON so it doesn't bindup and you end up having to get a 'cleaning service' preformed
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, nice choice!
50k and 4+ years old.
1. Change oil by mileage unless you can verify that it's been changed at 6 months previously. Reason, 6mo intervals are totally unnecessary in and of themselves , save for possible warranty coverage issues from not "following" the recommendation. You'll be out of warranty soon anyway, if not already based on the 5 year mark.
Save your money for useful maintenance.
2. No "additives" needed for anything. Fuel and DEF are the only 2 things you need to put in the tanks.
3. With that mileage and age, I'd service the trans, complete fluid exchange, diffs and transfer case and start thinking bout coolant/brake fluid and hydro boost fluid change in the next year.
4. Fuel filters, easy to DIY. Make sure you're buying the right quality/micron rating and not knock off filters.
5. That is all. Enjoy!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Flashman wrote:
jdc1 wrote:

Buy filters on Amazon. 40$. DYI in about 1/2 hour. Only a fool pays dealer prices.

FYI $40 filters for 4th Gens are **** filters.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 17 with close to 100k on it. Never added any additives, just fuel. My exhaust brake is always on and I use T/H when I pull the trailer. I had a 6icko too, and like someone else said, it was a temperamental piece of junk. I order all my filters on Amazon and change them at about 10k. Maybe because of the Ford, but I only use Mopar filters. I also ordered a fuel cap from there since I have a flatbed on it now and didn't want the neck open. Towing 10k, I get about 9-10mpg's and unloaded, I average around 18.5.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
LIKE2BUILD wrote:
For DEF I've always run Peak Blue DEF either in the 2.5 gallon containers or I've used the fill nozzle at truck stops. The one time I used cheap DEF I got sensor issues for insufficient catalyst. After I drained that junk and refilled with Peak I've never had that warning again.

I tend to fall in the DEF is DEF camp. I've run the cheap Walmart stuff, the even cheaper pump stuff and the Peak Blue stuff. Recently I've been mostly running Peak Blue because I can get it at Costco for $10 and it's the most convenient option for me since I'm there every week. Walmart or going to the closest DEF pump requires a special trip out of my way and it isn't worth the time to save literally a few bucks a year.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
packpe89 wrote:
2016 Ram 2500 Mega Cab 4x4 with the CTD and only 50K miles. Picking it up this afternoon. My previous diesel experience was an '05 F250 with the 6.0. With that, there were all kinds of additives .....I'm seeing oil changes every 6mo or 15K miles and fuel filter once a year. Is this good? Synthetic?

Should I always use the exhaust brake or only when towing or only when towing grades?

No fuel additives needed. For DEF I've always run Peak Blue DEF either in the 2.5 gallon containers or I've used the fill nozzle at truck stops. The one time I used cheap DEF I got sensor issues for insufficient catalyst. After I drained that junk and refilled with Peak I've never had that warning again.

Oil should be Rotella T6 5W40, or any other favorite synthetic 5W40 diesel engine oil. The book says you can run 15W40 down to 0*F, or you can run 5W40 synthetic at any temp range. Change interval I use is 1 year or 10,000 miles. I use Fleetguard LF16035 filters.

Fuel filters are good for 15,000 miles and I've not seen any age/time limit on those. I used to always change oil and fuel filters at the same time until this year when I realized I only put 5,000 miles on the truck since the last change. Online you can find the combo of both fuel filters for about $90. But I figured if the filters are good for 15,000 miles there's no need to spend that money so I'll run them until I hit the mileage limit.

I usually drive with the exhaust brake onall the time. When towing anything I also switch on the Tow/Haul mode. This steps up the exhaust brake when decelerating or going down a grade and greatly reduces the amount you need to use your brake pedal.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
jdc1 wrote:

9 mpg towing a large heavy 5th wheel. Sounds accurate. I get about 12ish towing a 10K lbs travel trailer.
Around town I'm closer to 16-17 and on the highway I can get 20 to 21, not towing of course.

That's better mileage towing and around town than in my gas half ton before this.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Additives aren't necessary at all. The Ram has good filtration. In the winter you might want to add some anti-gel if you get super cold temps, but nothing else is needed. Ram specifically states that additional additives are not recommended.

Fuel filters are actually a mileage based change, not a time. Every 15K miles they need to be changed. There is a Ram dealer from down south that sells OEM fuel filters for about $100 (as of last year). Its easy enough to change yourself. I buy the filters and invest about 30-45 minutes of time and save $400.

Oil and filters... my truck is essentially used for towing only so I put about 8k miles a year on it. I change my oil once a year, not every 6 months. Some will yell at me, I'm okay with it. I tow 10K lbs and I'm not pushing my truck with weight, speed or heat. I'll probably get an oil analysis done right before my next change just to confirm that everything is still doing fine. The filter is accessible from the right front wheel well, behind the plastic shield. It can be a little annoying to get to, especially because the recommend pre-filling the filter before installing.

Exhaust brake. I use it every single trip. Actually, I turn on tow/haul and exhaust brake every trip. T/H saves the truck from lugging the engine in town. EB saves on the service brakes. T/H and EB makes the braking more aggressive. If you plan ahead a little, you can use the EB to slow you from highway speeds to 20 mph, then service brakes the rest of the way. Towing in the hills/mountains... EB is AMAZING! An occasional gentle tap (literally a 1 second tap) of the service brakes will downshift the truck and engage more aggressive EB feature when going downhill. I love it. I don't need the diesel for my current trailer and don't ever expect to tow massive heavy trailers... but that EB and ease of doing downhill will likely keep me in a diesel for life.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS