cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire air pressure question

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Chevy 2500HD that shows on the yellow sticker on the door, air pressure is 80 psi for the rear and 60 psi for the fronts as max air pressue. Should I tow with these or do I need to inflate the fronts higher?
Thank you,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK
13 REPLIES 13

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
My Dodgeโ€™s door sticker says rears at 40psi unladen and 80psi fully laden.

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much all for the response. I think I have been doing it I won't say wrong but with too much air on the fronts. I have been running 80 psi in the fronts as well as the rears when towing. I have also only been getting about 35,000 miles on a set of Michelin LTX load range E tires. This truck has Transforce on it so I will try running them at 65 psi front and 80 psi in the rears. I know the Transforce tires and kind of a mixed bag with respect to mileage and wear.
Thanks again,
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Tankcar
Explorer
Explorer
Hello! When it comes to tire pressure I follow what tire manufacture recommends about 65 pisg in front, rear w/o the truck being loaded to the hilt I keep the 15-20 psi sidewall info. and check at 0400-0600 am coldest time of the day. Food for thought what came on truck may differ form what is there now.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
3500 SRW towing 14K 5vr

Towing........
55 psi Fronts/80 psi Rears

Not towing....
55 psi Fronts/45 psi Rears

Air pressures are via weight being carried
Fronts stay at 55 psi all the time
Rears air up when towing/drop psi when not towing (6200#/Towing & 3120#/not towing)

Wear is even on all tires
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
RobWNY wrote:
On my 2020 2500HD I have 20" wheels on the truck and an 18" spare (same diameter overall). They're Goodyear Wrangler AT tires. Yellow sticker says 60 Front/70 Rear/80 Spare. That's what I keep them at. Towing or not.

Ouch. Why?
Just drove my personal rig to work today. Rear tires still around 80psi from hauling the TC. It sucked! Spinning tires easy on wet pavement, rock hard ride over potholes and manhole covers, etc.
35-40 psi is where they should be running with no load.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Second Chance wrote:

As others have said, keep them at what the door sticker says.

Rob

Totally false information. Yes, it "can" be done, but will generally result in running too high of pressures for the load, save for max load scenarios. (Likely outside the "rating" of the truck if you're a sticker believer."

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Plenty of folks do not understand load vs inflation pressures.
Don't guess, but rather us ea simple load/inflation chart for your tire size to decide what pressures you need for your conditions, empty and loaded.
Or just drive around with too much or too little air in your tires...
Btw with a gasser HD, emoty truck, you'll have 4000lbs + on the front axle and about 2500+ lbs on the rear axle.

kellem
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm minority here.

Have load range E tires with max psi of 65lbs.....when not towing I run the rears at 40 and the fronts at 47.
Tires wear even and my 2500 rides better than a hay wagon.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
On my 2020 2500HD I have 20" wheels on the truck and an 18" spare (same diameter overall). They're Goodyear Wrangler AT tires. Yellow sticker says 60 Front/70 Rear/80 Spare. That's what I keep them at. Towing or not.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
Curly2001 wrote:
I have a 2019 Chevy 2500HD that shows on the yellow sticker on the door, air pressure is 80 psi for the rear and 60 psi for the fronts as max air pressue. Should I tow with these or do I need to inflate the fronts higher?
Thank you,
Curly

The tire pressures on the door sticker aren't "max" pressures - they're the recommended pressures for those tires on that particular vehicle. 80 PSI is the max pressure for an LT load range E tire. This happens to coincide with the recommended inflation pressure on the rear - but not on the front.

As others have said, keep them at what the door sticker says. When I had a single rear wheel truck, I asked my dealer service department if I could/should lower the rear pressures to 65 when not towing. They said to leave them at 80 PSI. From a practical point of view, though, there would be no harm in lowering the rears to 65 when empty... just don't forget to take them back up when loaded or towing.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
I tow with mine at 60/80, but generally drop to 60 all around when I'm not towing. Makes the ride nicer and the rear tires wear more evenly at the lower pressure. There's no reason to run the front tires at a higher pressure, the front axle weight doesn't vary all that much regardless of hitch/pin or cargo weight.

Same here .

Same here.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I tow with mine at 60/80, but generally drop to 60 all around when I'm not towing. Makes the ride nicer and the rear tires wear more evenly at the lower pressure. There's no reason to run the front tires at a higher pressure, the front axle weight doesn't vary all that much regardless of hitch/pin or cargo weight.

Same here .

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB