Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: advice on 5th wheel hitch option
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> advice on 5th wheel hitch option

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
alboy

Kelowna B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1 havethe Ultimate 3220 which is the lower profilealuminum one,tow a 17500lb fiver'Great hitch ,love how smooth and quiet it is,super easy to hookup.I got it used ,B/W WAS THE NEXT CHOICE,but i did install the B/W TURNOVER BALL ,GREAT PRODUCT

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have a 2013 Chevy short bed. Have used the Pullrite Superglide for the last 6yrs on two different 5ers. Love it. Highly recommended. I know some say it’s not needed IF you’re careful. I agree, it’s not needed UNTIL it is. I know a few people that have punched out rear windows when they weren’t that careful just once.

Just two days ago I had to make a tight turn on a turnout I mistakenly took. Looked back at corner of 5er a couple inches from truck window (2019 VL 5er has rounded corners etc) and was VERY glad I had Pullrite, and that it did it’s job automatically.

If I end up with another SB truck in a few years, it will also have a Pullrite installed.

* This post was edited 08/22/20 09:39am by MNRon *

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mrad wrote:

We have recently moved from a TT to a 5th wheel and will need to install a 5th wheel hitch. Originally I was going going to go the cost conscience route and put in a B&W patriot manual slider that was recommended by the local RV repair dealership. However, I am now thinking I should look long-range and probably go with a long term vision. I have read where some have had manual sliders and ended up with dents in the cab because they did not engage the slider.

I am looking for advice on what hitch I should install. The TV is a 2013 Chevrolet short box. the distance from the cab to end the tailgate when closed os 6"10 1/2".

I like the Andersson ultimate 5th wheel hitch but have read some posts where users have stated that it bends. Would appreciate all opinions

the local shop said he has a used pullrite auto glide that is being sold on consignment for $700 and could be installed for another $500 that came off the same TV I have and would not require any additional parts. Is that a fair price?

I tow with two different hitches, one is a manual slider ,that I have never slid it back . The other hitch is the steel rail mount Andersen , it functions the same as the aluminum, just mounts to a frame adapter on the OE puck system. My Ram short bed 3500 is the shortest of the three. No issues with the Andersen, which I am starting to prefer to the two I own.

Only reason I went with the Andersen was the ease of removing from the truck. We do an annual summer trip to Montana . I take an inflatable pontoon boat with me, and haul it around to the local lakes, it was always a pain to get that heavy sliding hitch out of the truck to be able to do that, with the Andersen not an issue.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To add to your questions the Superglide can be a little difficult to unhitch. The other thing is ,it has to fairly straight to be hitched up or unhitched ,a bit of an angle backing is not possible with the Superglide because of the capture plate on the pin box. So that is a consideration when purchasing a Superglide.

Friend ,and neighbor of mine finally got tired of the glitchy hitching process of the Superglide ,and went with the Andersen .

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins is correct about the finicky nature of the Superglide hitching/unhitching within ~15deg of straight. I was originally concerned about that but have gotten used to it and don’t consider it to be much of an impediment.

We’ve traveled ~75,000 miles in the last 6 years, and typically travel about half-time changing sites on average of once or twice a week (at least half the time at state parks or similar). In all of that time only once did I need to disconnect at an angle, it only requires pulling two cotter pins and disconnecting the hitch plate. Wouldn’t want to do it every time, but it wouldn’t scare me away from getting this autoslider for peace of mind.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Cummins is correct about the finicky nature of the Superglide hitching/unhitching within ~15deg of straight. I was originally concerned about that but have gotten used to it and don’t consider it to be much of an impediment.

We’ve traveled ~75,000 miles in the last 6 years, and typically travel about half-time changing sites on average of once or twice a week (at least half the time at state parks or similar). In all of that time only once did I need to disconnect at an angle, it only requires pulling two cotter pins and disconnecting the hitch plate. Wouldn’t want to do it every time, but it wouldn’t scare me away from getting this autoslider for peace of mind.

That was my point . If you are within 15 degrees all’s good , if not then what . Got to get straightened up , and is that always possible, hopefully yes. If not then maybe another hitch might be better for others .

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also had the Superglide on our old fifthwheel and truck. While it was a quality built hitch it was finicky as some have said and more than once I had to disconnect the head in order to unhitch. Now days I use a rail mount 18k B&W Patriot slider hitch. Don't ever use the slider as our current fifth has the cut corners like the vast majority of modern fifth wheels do. I am actually looking to replace my slider base with a non slider. Much prefer my B&W

Dan

2019 Chevy crew LTZ 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey Dan, maybe someone on the forum, that lives near you, that has the standard base, but wants a slider will PM you for a swap.

The B&W owners are all somewhat related! [emoticon]

Jerry

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

I also had the Superglide on our old fifthwheel and truck. While it was a quality built hitch it was finicky as some have said and more than once I had to disconnect the head in order to unhitch. Now days I use a rail mount 18k B&W Patriot slider hitch. Don't ever use the slider as our current fifth has the cut corners like the vast majority of modern fifth wheels do. I am actually looking to replace my slider base with a non slider. Much prefer my B&W

Dan

As said reason why my friend got rid of his Superglide , got tired of messing with it .

No messing around with the Andersen, very easy to hitch and unhitch .

Njmurvin

Simi Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/24/20 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've owned both. Superglide on my 2004 Dodge Ram short box and Andersen Ultimate on my 2020 Silverado short box. I had few complaints with the Superglide except its weight. I had to use a Harbor Freight cable hoist to remove it. The AU is 38lbs. I like the fact I don't need to do a pull test with the AU. Once the ball is in and pin set, you're good to go. I have at least as much cab clearance with my AU and Silverado as I had with my SG and the Dodge. I think the new GM trucks have a slightly longer bed and the OEM gooseneck puck is set a few inches behind the axle. That with the offset the AU offers gives plenty of cab clearance.

I've only towed once with it. So far, no evidence of bed deflection or any bending of the bed floor. That's towing around 12k.

2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> advice on 5th wheel hitch option
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.