Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Lithium batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lithium batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
dennych1

Long Island New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Who has installed lithium batteries but didn’t change your charging from truck to camper batteries by adding DC to DC charger

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read lot about it on Sprinter forum, but Sprinter owners on average have more money to spend.
They install $2000 water heaters as well.
Using straight alternator charging you will not recharge those batteries to 100%, but it will still work at lower capacity.
Most of users set it with solar charger, who will do 100% recharging, so for most of the users, alternator charging is secondary only.

Lwiddis

near Bishop, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/21/20 02:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar recharging is a bunch more simple for all RV batteries.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Battleborn LiFePo4 battery is mostly charged by 136W of Solar and MPPT Li compatible charge controller.

I did not bother to upgrade or update the charging from the truck. My use needs don't need it.

When in a pinch, I have a 1000W Yamaha generator and can use the stock AC/DC converter to charge the battery. Granted it won't charge it fully or 'optimum', again, my use case(s) don't require or need that.

For those that travel a lot and go from place to place and only stay 1 night at each place maybe better truck charging makes sense for them. Not needed for me.

- Mark0.

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 03:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have 400Ah of lithiums and 640W solar on the roof. Plenty of juice and plenty of charging. We have no need to charge by truck which is measly anyway with the skinny wires and not even worth hassling with.

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since Li don't want to be taken to 100% I can't see why a dc to DC booster would be particularly useful.

My "skinny" OEM wire is #8--perfectly capable of carrying 40 amps. It is not the wire that is the problem, it is the ECM of the chassis.

Are the battery management systems able to be set to stop charging at 90% state of charge?

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Since Li don't want to be taken to 100% I can't see why a dc to DC booster would be particularly useful.

Since when? Can you quote a source for that information?

The Battleborn battery I own and even the DIY LiFePo4 cells I bought along a with proper BMS have no issue with being charged to 100%.

- Mark0.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mbloof wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

The Battleborn battery I own and even the DIY LiFePo4 cells I bought along a with proper BMS have no issue with being charged to 100%.

- Mark0.

Many many many sources.

Some BMS systems have the 90% set to read as fully charged. Battleborn might be one of them.

The ideal is 40% to 90% for most Li chemistries.

They tolerate 20% state of charge well. But lifespan may be shorter.

Here is a source that suggest maximum of 80% SOC:

https://electrek.co/2018/05/04/are-you-killing-your-lithium-batteries/

dennych1

Long Island New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks I think I will just rely on 510 watts of solar

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

mbloof wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

- Mark0.

Many many many sources.

Some BMS systems have the 90% set to read as fully charged. Battleborn might be one of them.

The ideal is 40% to 90% for most Li chemistries.

They tolerate 20% state of charge well. But lifespan may be shorter.

Here is a source that suggest maximum of 80% SOC:

https://electrek.co/2018/05/04/are-you-killing-your-lithium-batteries/

Keep in mind that there are different Li chemistries and what might be recommended (via the link you provided) for other types does not apply to LiFePo4 batteries.

While LiFePo4 cells have a peek voltage of 3.65V (14.6V for a 4S pack) they can be safely charged to %100 with that voltage without degration. (this is also what BattleBorn recommends (14.2-14.6V).

They do however recommend 50A or less charge rate for a 100AH battery otherwise degration will occur.

- Mark0.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lithium batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.