Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Lithium batteries
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lithium batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 10:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.power-sonic.com/blog/how-to-........ithium-iron-phosphate-lifepo4-batteries/

Mork0,

Nope.lifepo4 don't like to be charged to 100% at least for storage--which is where most RV's are.

It is academic for me--as I need -40 temperature tolerance and only one LI chemistry that can do that. So I'll be going SiO2

-30-

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 08/21/20 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Nope.lifepo4 don't like to be charged to 100% at least for storage--which is where most RV's are.

It is academic for me--as I need -40 temperature tolerance and only one LI chemistry that can do that. So I'll be going SiO2

-30-

Another link

Nothing about it being "bad", they just might last a bit longer. "Bad" is storing a battery with zero charge as that will damage the battery.

Most RV's have parasitic loads that are constantly drawing power even while in storage. While my camper sits in the driveway each day the solar panels will give it a charge and each night the loads will suck some energy out.

Back on topic: some users will employ a DC-DC supply on their truck charge line to step up the voltage to at least 13.6V or 14.2V-14.6V so that their LiFePo4 battery can be charged while driving.

- Mark0.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 03:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve got a 25A Redarc DC-DC charger in my camper, and I really like it. It has dual inputs, so it can connect to the truck battery and your solar panels, and will prioritize using solar whenever available. It supports lead acid, gel, AGM, and lithium. I currently have a single group 31 AGM battery, but anticipate that someday Li will hit a price point that’s attractive to me.

It also has one benefit that I wasn’t anticipating before installing it, but have come to appreciate. If you have a 3-way fridge in your camper, the DC mode will work noticeably better due to the voltage being maintained about 2.5 volts higher than than it would be with no DC-DC charger.

I like mine enough that I recently noticed that Redarc now has 40 and 50 amp dual input DC-DC chargers, and I will be upgrading mine to a 40 amp.

[emoticon][emoticon]

* This post was edited 08/22/20 04:13am by NRALIFR *

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have no need for truck charging for my 2 100ah Battleborn batteries. The 400w of solar keep them charged up. In fact, I disconnected the truck charging wire at the camper converter, I wasn't sure how the AGM truck batteries would handle the 14.6v from the converter when I have the camper plugged in.

2020 Ram 3500 SRW Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lithium batteries are finally coming down in price if you don't have to have a name brand like Battle Born...

LiFePO4 Battery 100ah 12v Lithium Iron Phosphate $587 at Amazon..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great interview with the CEO of Battleborn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywn-vBjKblI

Video contents:

Start of video to 6:30, low temps
6:30 high temp/ degradation
8:30 cycling
9:30 longevity/ charge profile
11:30 balancing
12:50 floating
15:40 storage
17:40 cold cranking (which in reality doesn't really apply to lfp) terminology.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Srschang, is the changing wire to the camper on your truck not switched by the ignition? Even if it’s not, why would your trucks AGM’s not like 14.6? The AGM charging specs I’ve looked at seem to like up to about 14.9.

That’s assuming that the 14.6 from the camper is even reaching the truck batteries, that is. There’s about 20 or so feet of wire between the camper converter and the truck batteries on a crew cab pickup, so the voltage drop is going to be considerable. At any rate, a few minutes with a volt meter would tell you.

For me, having multiple ways of recharging the camper battery is a good thing. I’m not always in a developed campground, or even in an environment where solar can be totally relied on. It would be nice to have a panel or two on the roof, but the DC-DC charger isn’t dependent on the sun. If I ever get around to adding a solar panel, I’ll just connect it to the solar input on the Redarc.

[emoticon][emoticon]

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my campers I had about 22' of wire from truck main panel in front to the rear plug, than 10' of cable from the plug to front of the camper where cable went inside, than another 16' of wire from front left camper corner to panel with battery separator and then to battery mounted on right rear.
When it comes to charging, trucks play dirty with it.
For years I've been driving trucks, who charge at 14.5V and Mercedes sedans who charge at 13.9V.
When batteries on Mercedes did last up to 13 years, Ford batteries always promptly die after 3 years warranty
So when B2B charger speeds charging, it can also shorten battery life.

srschang

Western NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NRALIFR wrote:

Srschang, is the changing wire to the camper on your truck not switched by the ignition? Even if it’s not, why would your trucks AGM’s not like 14.6? The AGM charging specs I’ve looked at seem to like up to about 14.9.

That’s assuming that the 14.6 from the camper is even reaching the truck batteries, that is. There’s about 20 or so feet of wire between the camper converter and the truck batteries on a crew cab pickup, so the voltage drop is going to be considerable. At any rate, a few minutes with a volt meter would tell you.

For me, having multiple ways of recharging the camper battery is a good thing. I’m not always in a developed campground, or even in an environment where solar can be totally relied on. It would be nice to have a panel or two on the roof, but the DC-DC charger isn’t dependent on the sun. If I ever get around to adding a solar panel, I’ll just connect it to the solar input on the Redarc.

[emoticon][emoticon]

I don't know how the truck/camper charging interface works, that's why I disconnected the charging wire from the truck. Didn't want to screw anything up on my one month old truck. And like I said, the solar takes care of all the charging we need.

Scott

thedavidzoo

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 01:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

srschang wrote:

I have no need for truck charging for my 2 100ah Battleborn batteries. The 400w of solar keep them charged up. In fact, I disconnected the truck charging wire at the camper converter, I wasn't sure how the AGM truck batteries would handle the 14.6v from the converter when I have the camper plugged in.

We also disconnected the truck charging wire at the converter, actually put in a switch always set to off. My system uses GBS cells with a dedicated "brain" unit (in addition to the individual BMS) through which all charging sources and loads run. Since the wire from the truck/converter does not go through this regulating brain, I didn't want to fiddle with it. When we plug in shore power (never), I disconnect my batteries for the same reason.

2014 Ram 3500 CrewCab Diesel DRW 4x4 4.10 Aisin, Torklift Fastguns, Upper Stableloads, Timbrens
2017 Northstar 12' STC
640W solar, 400Ah lithium LiFeMnPO4 batteries

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Lithium batteries
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.