Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Aftermarket wheels

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
Gentlemen,

I have a 2016 Ford F350 Lariat LB DRW and a 2008 Lance Max981 camper.

Suspension and current wheels and tires are all stock (Alcoa wheels). I want to switch out the wheels and tires for some aftermarket 20" Fuel's or Vision's. The ones I like require no spacers. The Fuel's are rated at 2500 lbs. and the Vision's are rated at 4300. I would be mounting some Toyo Open Country tires on them.

Clearly the Vision wheels will handle the weight. What do you think about the Fuel's? Also, I sometimes pull a 3500 lbs. boat behind the setup. All my truck gear is Torklift. Camper probably right at about 4000 lbs.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

https://www.visionwheel.com/wheel/7210/VisionHDTruck/Trailer/401%20Rival?finishID=591

http://www.fueloffroad.com/wheel/11115/fuel%2Ddually%2Dwheels%2Dtriton%2Ddually%2Drear/?finishID=329&lugs=8
2016 Ford F350 6.7 PSD CC LARIAT DRW

Tork Lift tie downs/FastGuns/SuperHitch

Vision 401 Rival wheels, Toyo ATIII tires

2007 LanceMax 981 Fully loaded
35 REPLIES 35

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
docjay wrote:
milleda31 wrote:
docjay wrote:
Thanks for the pics. Looks great!
What tires are you running?

Toyo AT III

What size are the Toyos?
Thanks.

LT265/60R20

docjay
Explorer
Explorer
milleda31 wrote:
docjay wrote:

Toyo AT III

What size are the Toyos?
Thanks.

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
milleda31 wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
Big wheels place more stress on the running gear. I would never trade away Alcoa wheels (strongest wheels made) for anything else. Do you know what it cost to replace those Alcoas? They are expensive.

Also with bigger wheels will you need a small lift kit to make the room under the wheel well? Any lift will compromise steering comfort, alignment, ball joints, etc. I vote you stay with what you have and keep the speedometer accurate.

What is the weight rating on the stock (Alcoa) wheels? The rating on the Vision wheels is 3750 lbs.

I have stock suspension with no lift whatsoever.

I still have the stock wheels with Falken tires mounted. Should I store them stacked or standing up?

My Alcoas I think are rated for that same 3750 lbs. Mine are 16'' Alcoas so yours might be higher being they are 17''.

Running larger diameter is harder on the transmission esp. hauling a camper. Trans temps can climb rapidly. Harder on the brakes going down. I cooked my brakes and both front bearings when the heat cooked all the grease out. It got expensive in a hurry. That was an unusual Mtn road probably dropped 5,000 ft. in just 7 miles.

We'll keep an eye on trans temp. I only use the camper a couple of times a year and usually just over the cascades on Hwy 26. It's not a horrible ascent.

I did have to take off the front Gatorbacks. They were contacting tires slightly at full turn. I'll be able to trim them no problem.

Ride stiffened up just a tad. I think when the tires wear in it will be minimal.

Anyone have an opinion on storing the stocks. Stacked up or side by side on the tread?

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
milleda31 wrote:
covered wagon wrote:
Big wheels place more stress on the running gear. I would never trade away Alcoa wheels (strongest wheels made) for anything else. Do you know what it cost to replace those Alcoas? They are expensive.

Also with bigger wheels will you need a small lift kit to make the room under the wheel well? Any lift will compromise steering comfort, alignment, ball joints, etc. I vote you stay with what you have and keep the speedometer accurate.

What is the weight rating on the stock (Alcoa) wheels? The rating on the Vision wheels is 3750 lbs.

I still have the stock wheels with Falken tires mounted. Should I store them stacked or standing up?

My Alcoas I think are rated for that same 3750 lbs. Mine are 16'' Alcoas so yours might be higher being they are 17''.

Running larger diameter is harder on the transmission esp. hauling a camper. Trans temps can climb rapidly. Harder on the brakes going down. I cooked my brakes and both front bearings when the heat cooked all the grease out. It got expensive in a hurry. That was an unusual Mtn road probably dropped 5,000 ft. in just 7 miles.

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
docjay wrote:

Toyo AT III

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer

docjay
Explorer
Explorer

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
docjay wrote:
milleda31 wrote:
docjay wrote:
I’ve been considering the 19.5 x 6.75 Vision Heavy Haulers because by my understanding they are narrow enough not to extend beyond the fenders.

They line up fine. No spacers needed.

So did you get the Rivals installed? Can you post some pics?
Thanks.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOLemirJ1Vd6aB3vi5nGImssqy5Mj-xLy9XKseF4iTry4PxyXnmp_EcWOxyrSdt...

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
While not wanting to hijack your thread, but pass on info to the SRW crowd, Method Racing Wheels has a 17" & 18" rim that is capable of 4500 lbs each. Method 305 NV HD
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

docjay
Explorer
Explorer
milleda31 wrote:
docjay wrote:
I’ve been considering the 19.5 x 6.75 Vision Heavy Haulers because by my understanding they are narrow enough not to extend beyond the fenders.

They line up fine. No spacers needed.

So did you get the Rivals installed? Can you post some pics?
Thanks.

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
I was talking in general, out on the road or online.

Also, How do you know what I've seen here? LoL Ridiculous statement.

I'm glad you have vision wheels and not big ol tires. Good for you.

"You didn't see that here." was, obviously, (for most anyway) in regards to this thread topic.

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
I was talking in general, out on the road or online.

Also, How do you know what I've seen here? LoL Ridiculous statement.

I'm glad you have vision wheels and not big ol tires. Good for you.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

milleda31
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
I see guys with lifted trucks running aftermarket, lug-centric, cast wheels and big ol tires with an Arctic Fox and I think to myself...Yeah, it looks cool, but there's no way that high centered mass lumbering down a hwy would remain upright should a wheel failure occur. I just don't get it. Yet lots of fellow TC'ers seem to applaud it.

You didn't see that here. My truck is not lifted and I am not running, "...big ol tires". The Vision wheels are forged and I have a Lance, not an Artic Fox.