cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Australian Off Road Caravan experience explained

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
A family of 5 are travelling across Australia, owner gives extensive information
On the Caravan and how it went . As well he talks about his " car" Pickup Truck to you and the staggering amount of equipment he has on it. This is from a Youtube seriesOwner describes in detail how his Off Road Caravan performed
9 REPLIES 9

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
See my follow up post on the new much heavier Caravan and not a Truck but a heavier tow vehicle.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^What??
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
According to the manufacturer he is now thinking of a 4 tonne 8,800lb Off Road Caravan.Their current range does cover rhat weight, so he will be going to someone else.
What tow Vehicle is another question a US HD Pickup or a Japanese Truck? Many are now switching to the 4x4 Japanese Trucks because of their much greater payload capacity

mogman
Explorer
Explorer
1 United States Dollar equals
1.40 Australian... at today's rate.
'15 Ford Transit 250, 3.5 ecoboost, 3:73 ls
'12 Lance 1685

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
thanks Robert, very interesting. when he says $500, how much is that in US? '
bumpy

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
I didn't watch the whole video, but I was really impressed by the suspension and brakes on the trailer. Looked like it could handle any conditions. I also really liked the custom storage body on the truck. I might watch other videos, I would like to see the rig in action off-road. I watched another of their videos, where they were on the road talking about safe towing speeds (100 km/hr) and all the idiots on the road. Just like the US, 60-65 mph is a good towing speed but there are always those who just have to go faster. Also the importance of good roadside assistance, which came in handy when their truck blew a head gasket in the middle of nowhere.

Yes Off Road Caravans are now very common hwre. They had an online survey of OffRoad Caravans 54 manufacturers were listed. Masda BT50 a Global version of a,Midsize truck was the " tug". Engine is the Ford 3.2 Diesel that has problems seizing due to lubfication problems.Yes the custom storage body is very similar to others you can get here. Of course Idiots are everywhere

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I liked the ball coupler. Iโ€™ve never seen on like that. I wish there was one that would work with my wdh. Hmmm, invention time?

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I liked the ball coupler. Iโ€™ve never seen on like that. I wish there was one that would work with my wdh. Hmmm, invention time?

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
I didn't watch the whole video, but I was really impressed by the suspension and brakes on the trailer. Looked like it could handle any conditions. I also really liked the custom storage body on the truck. I might watch other videos, I would like to see the rig in action off-road. I watched another of their videos, where they were on the road talking about safe towing speeds (100 km/hr) and all the idiots on the road. Just like the US, 60-65 mph is a good towing speed but there are always those who just have to go faster. Also the importance of good roadside assistance, which came in handy when their truck blew a head gasket in the middle of nowhere.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3