cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wishing to stay out of I-95S through Washington DC

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Wishing to take our 42"MH from PA to NC but really would prefer to stay away from the Washington/Baltimore Toll Roads. Anyone traveled down a reasonable route that doesn't add too many miles to the trip? Tolls and diesel alone are making me question my plans.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
22 REPLIES 22

BackOfThePack
Explorer
Explorer
Traffic Volume, is what makes a heavy slog. No avoiding it in the Bos-Wash. It’s fatiguing as hell.

So, unless you’re set on destinations in those areas, IH81-S to IH64-E is the way around & past (use Richmond bypass).

Longer is better.

(Staying on 81 farther south is a crapshoot).

2004 555 CTD QC LB NV-5600
1990 35’ Silver Streak

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
It’s easy getting through the Norfolk/VA Beach area and onto 58. Go down the US 13, and leave I-95 alone. You will never be near Richmond. I have a home in Baltimore and one in Durham also. Need help, I live and travel this route often and have for years.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two options, both involve the Eastern Shore.

301 S, over the Bay Bridge. No toll westbound. Continue 301 S over the Potomac & then whatever after that. 301 continues to more or less parallel 95 but is a real nice, quiet, 4 lane road for a long way.

The other is 13 S through DE & on to the CBBT to Virgina Beach. Who told you no propane on the CBBT? They are WRONG. Done it many times. SB, pull over just before toll at N end & turn the propane off. That is all that is required.

The trip over & under on the CBBT is an experience all by itself. 20 miles of bridge & 2 deep tunnels.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Go to Norfolk---Take US 58 west out of there all the way to I-85 at South Hill. It is good 4 lane road. Take I-85 South to Durham. There are other ways but none less complicated.

from I-95 at Richmond, take I-85 to durham. don't go near Norfolk
if you stay on I-95, take the middle lane down to the I-85 turnoff, exit 51. if you take I-295 you need to backtrack about 5 miles.
bumpy

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Go to Norfolk---Take US 58 west out of there all the way to I-85 at South Hill. It is good 4 lane road. Take I-85 South to Durham. There are other ways but none less complicated.

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
My MH is "all-electric" so I need not worry about Propane restrictions. Plus, as added into I will be headed to Durham,NC.
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
And it may well be for those that travel at the high use hours......But the OP never did say where he was going in NC---it makes a difference.

that stretch of I-95 is always high use.
bumpy

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
And it may well be for those that travel at the high use hours......But the OP never did say where he was going in NC---it makes a difference.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
remember that that stretch of I-95 from DC to Fredericksburg won the distinction of being the worst in the Universe. well maybe just worst in the US.
bumpy

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
90mi from Norfolk to Richmond and I-95 or 80mi to hit it at Emporia. It seems you are heading for Eastern NC so if you are going to the outer banks going to Norfolk is the BEST idea. I travel from BWI airport to central NC frequently and my method is to time it right to catch the toll road out of DC when it goes South. Noon on week days. I go down the BW parkway, DC 295, to I-395, hits I-95 at Springfield, VA.This will get you below most of the congestion and saves a ton of time. Must have an EZ Pass.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
HighwayJunky wrote:
Why wouldn't I just stay on the eastern shore side of Maryland and cross the Bay Bridge?Tunnel into Norfolk over to I-95???

propane isn't allowed in some of those locations.
bumpy

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
Why wouldn't I just stay on the eastern shore side of Maryland and cross the Bay Bridge?Tunnel into Norfolk over to I-95???
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since NC is 600mi long it might be helpful to know where in NC you wish to go. Last time I checked on 301 from Rt 50 South to the State line there were 52 traffic lights several with red light cameras. Probably many more right now and thats in a little over 50 mi. But depending where you need to end up there are lots of options.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
dblr wrote:
From West Chester best bet would be 202 to 95 south then Route 1 in De. then the 301 bypass around Middletown De. ( toll ), Continue to follow 301 thru Md. across the Bay Bridge (no toll southbound) into Va. where the 2 lane bridge is that 2 Retired mentioned which is a south bound toll, then shortly after the bridge decide if you want to stay on 301 or there is another road that will take you to 95 at exit 104 which I believe is one exit above Kings Dominion, either choice is good I have used both but depends on how the traffic is.

just stay on 301 and hit the I-295 beltway on the east side of richmond.
bumpy