Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Wishing to stay out of I-95S through Washington DC
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Wishing to stay out of I-95S through Washington DC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
HighwayJunky

Crestview

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 06:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wishing to take our 42"MH from PA to NC but really would prefer to stay away from the Washington/Baltimore Toll Roads. Anyone traveled down a reasonable route that doesn't add too many miles to the trip? Tolls and diesel alone are making me question my plans.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

zigzagrv

Nazareth, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know where you're starting from in Pa, but I take I-81s to rt 17 in Winchester,Va which brings you to I-95 just below Fredericksburg. A few miles out of the way, but for me, it sure beats the unpredictable slog through Baltimore and D.C.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
Master Tow dolly
Toyota RAV4

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

zigzagrv wrote:

Don't know where you're starting from in Pa, but I take I-81s to rt 17 in Winchester,Va which brings you to I-95 just below Fredericksburg. A few miles out of the way, but for me, it sure beats the unpredictable slog through Baltimore and D.C.

Rt 17 is a pretty good road. Good recommendation.

Monaramblee

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We take 79 to 19 then turn off just before the toll 77 then 77 to 26 to 95.
The toll part of the 77 that we bipass is only a 3 or 4 dollars.

2008 Holiday rambler Vacationer XL
340 HP Cummins

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

zigzagrv wrote:

Rt 17 is a pretty good road. Good recommendation.

if you are using an older gps, it will direct you incorrectly at Opal . coming south on 17 at Opal, stay in right thru lane and about 1/4 mile South there is a right turn up and over to take 17 east.
bumpy

2 Retired

Montross, Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're starting out near I 95 in Pa, you may want to check this route. We've have used it often going between NJ and Myrtle Beach. You avoid 95 from Delaware all the way to south of Petersburg, Va (exit 46 on 95). You will use I 295 around Richmond and Petersburg, but most of it is newly resurfaced, its not a toll road, and it's fine. The only caveat is the construction on the Bay Bridge on Rt 301 (not the Bridge Tunnel, the Bay Bridge over the Chesapeake Bay on Rt 50/301). It's iffy. During the week or early morning/late evening usually not bad, but there was a 20 mile backup yesterday (police action which is very unusual). I just put Smithfield, nc as a destination to get the directions.
https://www.mapquest.com/directions/from/us/pa/philadelphia/to/us/nc/smithfield
Only tolls are on the new part of 301 in Delaware, the Bay Bridge and the Potomac River Bridge connecting Md with Va - this is a two lane bridge - DH says it's "not fun but no real problem". We have a 32'MH and always pull our toad. You might hit some traffic around Waldorf/LaPlata in Southern Maryland (lots of traffic lights) but that's about it if the Bay Bridge isn't bad.

* This post was edited 08/22/20 10:37am by 2 Retired *

Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We do it all the time on I-95 with the rig in my signature. We take the loops on the west side of Baltimore and DC - no issues and no tolls. One side of the tunnel in downtown Baltimore is closed right now with a lot of congestion, anyway. We don't drive this route early morning or late afternoon and try to avoid Fridays altogether.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

HighwayJunky

Crestview

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry should have said I am traveling from west chester PA west of Philadelphia.Southeastern section of the state.

dblr

Newark De

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From West Chester best bet would be 202 to 95 south then Route 1 in De. then the 301 bypass around Middletown De. ( toll ), Continue to follow 301 thru Md. across the Bay Bridge (no toll southbound) into Va. where the 2 lane bridge is that 2 Retired mentioned which is a south bound toll, then shortly after the bridge decide if you want to stay on 301 or there is another road that will take you to 95 at exit 104 which I believe is one exit above Kings Dominion, either choice is good I have used both but depends on how the traffic is.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dblr wrote:

From West Chester best bet would be 202 to 95 south then Route 1 in De. then the 301 bypass around Middletown De. ( toll ), Continue to follow 301 thru Md. across the Bay Bridge (no toll southbound) into Va. where the 2 lane bridge is that 2 Retired mentioned which is a south bound toll, then shortly after the bridge decide if you want to stay on 301 or there is another road that will take you to 95 at exit 104 which I believe is one exit above Kings Dominion, either choice is good I have used both but depends on how the traffic is.

just stay on 301 and hit the I-295 beltway on the east side of richmond.
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> Wishing to stay out of I-95S through Washington DC
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.