cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone towing small trailer with Acadia, traverse??

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Well we downsized our camper to a 19 ft.passport.
It is 4200 dry and gross 5200
Thinking of downsizing from our 2009 suburban and wife would love an Acadia.
Looks like max towing of those is 5200 with towing package.
Any thoughts?
9 REPLIES 9

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Good call.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MARK_VANDERBENT
Explorer
Explorer
Have been driving suburban for the last 20 years.
Wife and I decided we would miss our suburban if we got rid of it.
Does everything we need it to
Plus now that we downsized camper can't even feel it behind the burb!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
My 2008 Toyota Highlander had similar power and a 5000/500 lb tow/hitch rating. It felt okay for a 17' TT of less than 3000 lbs loaded weight, keeping speed to about 60-62 mph. I would not have wanted to tow anything close to 5,000 lbs in the mountains, but maybe for short trips in the flatlands it would be okay.

I'd say, keep the Burb at least for the towing duty. Get an additional vehicle for wife's daily driver if you can afford it.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I had a traverse with 5200. I bought a used TT that was about 4200 lb. it felt maxed out and drank fuel like crazy so I went back to tge dealer for a real reaming on the lease turn in and bought a 1500 pickup with 9700 rating and it pulled it well.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
For some reason the Acadia seems to have a lower towing capacity than the Traverse.

If it's downsizing you're interested in, maybe a Tahoe? Same 'truckness' as the Suburban, and most of the bulk, but in a shorter package. Just a thought.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
Keep the suburban.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
A while ago I considered Acadiaโ€™s twins, the Traverse and the Enclave. Clearly not built for towing 5,000 pounds despite the claims.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Max towing is generally given with no passengers or cargo and figuring a 150 pound driver in the tow vehicle so unless you travel alone and weigh 150 pounds you will be over with a 5,200 pound trailer.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Whatโ€™s the expected payload of the Acadia?
600 to 700 pounds of tongue weight?
Does the Acadia manual allow a WDH?
Towing at max isnโ€™t fun.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad