cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheelbase factors

rmnpcolorado
Explorer
Explorer
So I’m probably posting on something that’s been beat to death, but wanted to ask a basic question as we begin our search to upgrade our tow vehicle from our current Chevrolet Avalanche.

What are people’s opinions on the length of the wheelbase? Just looking at the 1500/150 with the 145” or 157” wheelbase (5.5’ vs 6.5’ box). I would assume that the longer wheelbase is more stable? We have a 25’ trailer now with the desire to upgrade down the road to probably 28-29’.

On the flip side, any issues with the shorter wheelbase if the truck is equipped properly? (Thinking max tow/max trailering package).
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Max Tow
2023 Riverside RV Intrepid 240BHi
12 REPLIES 12

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I would not chose the bed length based on towing stability. Marginally different all else (equipment, payload) equal.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
jerem0621 wrote:
There are many other factors at play than just wheelbase. It does help, wheelbase, but there is more to it than that.

My 2011 Tahoe, 6 speed Transmission, 10 Ply LT tires, large trans cooler, 3.08 gears, 31 ft Travel Trailer weighing 7,200 ish lbs.

Jeremiah

I agree, things like adding 10 ply tires, even adding suspension support will help to improve towing a 30' TT, with a light duty tow vehicle. It may even make as much, or more difference than another 12"s of wheelbase.

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Either will be fine. But I’d opt for a longer bed.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are many other factors at play than just wheelbase. It does help, wheelbase, but there is more to it than that.

My 2011 Tahoe, 6 speed Transmission, 10 Ply LT tires, large trans cooler, 3.08 gears, 31 ft Travel Trailer weighing 7,200 ish lbs.

Tows like it’s on rails behind my Tahoe, the same vehicle that many people discourage others from towing with. Trans temp stays about 180 degrees while towing.

And, my previous TT was pulled with The Godfather of TV, a CC, LB, Dually so this isn’t some newb trying things out. I love pulling trailers and this is my favorite TV I have ever owned.

Thousands of trouble free miles over several different vehicles, it’s all in the set up. All of it. Not just one piece of it.

Hitch Hints Article

Thanks and JMHO based on experience.

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
rmnpcolorado wrote:
MFL wrote:

Haven't you ever wished for a little more room in the Avalanche bed??

Jerry

No, it’s an Avalanche. If I need more bed I put the midgate down. I’ve hauled a full length couch in it with the tailgate up (in a thunderstorm-stupid! But it stayed dry under the tarp job.) Can’t do that in a standard pickup. Best truck GM ever made, just too much of a niche vehicle.

I owned a 2007 Avy LS. I replaced it with a F150 SCREW 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow package.
I absolutely love the truck and it is a towing beast, compared to the Avy.
I did love the Avy(the Swiss Army Knife of trucks)but it can't compare to modern 1/2 trucks when it comes to towing.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I’ve still got my old 1975 Bronco. Never pulled a camper with it, but it has drug boats and cargo trailers all over the country. It has a 92 inch wheelbase. It always towed just fine. And you can’t beat a shorter wheelbase for backing a trailer into tight spots. I don’t think a few inches either way will make any noticeable difference.
35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A longer wheelbase has many advantages, it is just harder to park.
A 5.5 foot box is for groceries. A 6.5 foot box is marginally acceptable.
I like long beds.

rmnpcolorado
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:

Jerry

No, it’s an Avalanche. If I need more bed I put the midgate down. I’ve hauled a full length couch in it with the tailgate up (in a thunderstorm-stupid! But it stayed dry under the tarp job.) Can’t do that in a standard pickup. Best truck GM ever made, just too much of a niche vehicle.
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Max Tow
2023 Riverside RV Intrepid 240BHi

blt2ski
Assuming ball/rear bumper mount hitches. Longer yes is generally better.
A shorter overhang for a give WB is also better than a longer one. A shorter WB with a higher great is usually better than a longer lower capacity setup. Add in front wheel cut angle. My 288" wb international can out turn a 155" wb pick up I had. Due to the wheels turning 55* off center, vs 45* for. Pickup.
So as jimlin says, many factors and variables as to which setup might be better.
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
My experience from owning and operating all wheel base lengths for my hauling business is not all longer wheelbase trucks are more stable than one with a shorter wheel base. Too many variable to say that the longer wheel base is more stable.

A 145" wheel base truck won't have any handling issues with that TT.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
The longer wheel base will certainly be more stable, especially with a 15 series truck. JMO, but if used for towing a TT, which likely means hauling some things in the truck bed, I'd have no use for a 5.5 short bed.

Jerry

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Tahoe was 116 and the Silverado is 147. Wonderful difference when those 18 wheelers and busses buzz past me.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad