cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tailgate

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
So we had our F350 into the transmission shop to replace the transmission. It was finished and my husband went to get the truck. He walked around the truck and then back into the shop office. He asked them, where's the tailgate? They answered, huh? He said, you had to take the tailgate off to replace the transmission? Our tailgate was stolen while at the transmission shop! I didn't know this was a thing and apparently so much of a thing that there are now locks for your tailgate! The shop's insurance won't cover it so we have to use our insurance. The sheriff department called and asked if we would press charges if they found out who did it otherwise they weren't going to bother. We said of course we will press charges. The shop has video of the time and date and the car used (Charger). The sheriff's department will check city video to see if they can get a license plate. Meanwhile the body shop is looking for a replacement and they are hard to find. This is crazy! Who knew? anyway, anyone know of a tailgate for a 2015 F350 with the backup camera and step? Definately getting a lock when we get our tailgate.
34 REPLIES 34

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Seriously?
You obviously don’t mind getting ripped off...or waiting over a month for a tailgate.
$5000....Lol
Guess I shouldn’t poke fun. If everyone was frugal, resourceful and motivated there wouldn’t be anything to buy cheap.
$5000.....still astounded by that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
So, we are still waiting on our tailgate. The body shop is getting all the pieces together. The final cost is over $5,000.00. Our deductible is $100.00. The body shop has two other Ford pick ups waiting for tailgates, one is F250 and the other is F350. sheesh!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ Ya I know. The door person is a spAmmer.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, my friend had his stolen from his driveway. No idea why that person is asking about a door...? His 2018 F350 did not have an automatic tailgate lock. His truck is a truck, so he didn't manually lock his tailgate.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Meaning that shop got away with it...

In California, even if they have fine print stating something like: “not responsible for...” will not hold water...

spoon059 wrote:
Insurance replaced the tailgate, but he had to pay his deductible.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
spoon059 wrote:

You've been spammed! lol

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

LeslieCovin1974
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
My friend's 2017 tailgate was stolen out of his driveway. $6000 insurance claim later it was replaced. I think his had a lock, but it wasn't tied into the electric locks of the truck (on an upper level trim package too!). I have a Tradesman Ram (bottom of the line) and the tailgate locks with the doors whenever you hit the lock button.

OP, I would 100% go after the repair shop for replacement. Your insurance will go up as a result, which isn't fair to you. They have an obligation to maintain your property when they are in possession of it.

but did the insurance cover the cost of the door? and what did your friend do with that

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Since you filed a police report...file with the BBB and local news if they have a consumer advocacy function

DO NOT use your insurance, as it will increase your monthly fees

Think it criminal that both the shop and sherif took that attitude

You said backup camera and step, it will be more expensive than just a tailgate...then the cost of painting the replacement to match

What city is that shop located ? I’m in N Calif too and if near me, would make sure no one I know goes there
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have heard of dealers losing 20 in one night. I think that had a lot to do with locks becoming more common.

noonenosthis1
Explorer
Explorer
Mfan wrote:
Good luck. A friend just replaced his. Found one in Georgia, he is in Michigan

Had his been stolen and that is why he had to replace it?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
1. Hard to believe OPs tailgate doesn’t have a lock. Pretty much all of them do now.
2. Before making an ass of yourself with the mechanic shop, make sure you’re in the right. Many laws only require reasonable responsibility by the shop. Different situation than if they damaged the vehicle themselves.
3. I looked at a 250mi rad in N Cal on Craigslist and found at least 1/2 dozen tailgates that would fit and a couple that were from the newer model old body style Superdutys.
But no guarantee on color, camera etc. could have a tailgate that holds stuff in the truck for $500 tomorrow. More for matching.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why thank you Jerry. 🙂

As a matter of fact, my factory tailgate is in the shed. I put a 5th wheel V-gate on since the previous owner had already damaged the stock one.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
wilber1 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
I don't know that I've ever seen a factory lock on a tailgate, but I'm not up on the latest models.

Mine came with one.

While Howard has a really nice 2001 :C, your Ram is 10 yrs newer. It is kind of like the Harleys, compared to the rice burners, the rice bike technology was always about 10 yrs ahead! :B

Like I said, my 99 Ford had a factory locking tailgate! 😉

Jerry