Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tailgate
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tailgate

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Fisherman

Angus, Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe the garage is in cahoots with the thieves.

BenK

SF BayArea

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much does a replacement tail gate cost these days ?

IIRC....hundreds of bucks a few years ago when it was rampant here

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The skin and frame, no hardware was quoted $1,000

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

Are the factory locks that bad? Or are they left open?

If the factory tailgate lock is not locked, the tailgate can be lowered about half way and lifted out of the hinge on the curb side. Then slipped out of the street side. Disconnect tailgate cables and less than 10 seconds and it’s gone.

If the tailgate is locked then they would have to break the lock. Not a huge problem to determined thief.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

time2roll wrote:

Are the factory locks that bad? Or are they left open?

If the factory tailgate lock is not locked, the tailgate can be lowered about half way and lifted out of the hinge on the curb side. Then slipped out of the street side. Disconnect tailgate cables and less than 10 seconds and it’s gone.

If the tailgate is locked then they would have to break the lock. Not a huge problem to determined thief.
Yes my 2001 has a lock.

Just as lots of social media reports in my area about vehicles broken into.... reality is the door was left unlocked and their electronics were in plain sight. Just don't hear near as many reports of actually breaking a lock.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

LanceRKeys

Amarillo, TX

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can probably find a matching one to yours for sale in the local area. Put an add on Facebook stating what color you are looking for. Offer $500, they may just get stupid and try to sell your own tailgate back to you.

campigloo

Baton Rouge, La

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I found Ten Acres in Houston when I was looking for a cab for my truck. Good prices and even better service. There are lots of yards around Houston and even more pick up trucks.

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/22/20 05:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My friend's 2017 tailgate was stolen out of his driveway. $6000 insurance claim later it was replaced. I think his had a lock, but it wasn't tied into the electric locks of the truck (on an upper level trim package too!). I have a Tradesman Ram (bottom of the line) and the tailgate locks with the doors whenever you hit the lock button.

OP, I would 100% go after the repair shop for replacement. Your insurance will go up as a result, which isn't fair to you. They have an obligation to maintain your property when they are in possession of it.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 08/22/20 07:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can probably find a new tailgate at a utility body installer.

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 08:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

noonenosthis1 wrote:

So we had our F350 into the transmission shop to replace the transmission. It was finished and my husband went to get the truck. He walked around the truck and then back into the shop office. He asked them, where's the tailgate? They answered, huh? He said, you had to take the tailgate off to replace the transmission? Our tailgate was stolen while at the transmission shop! I didn't know this was a thing and apparently so much of a thing that there are now locks for your tailgate! The shop's insurance won't cover it so we have to use our insurance. The sheriff department called and asked if we would press charges if they found out who did it otherwise they weren't going to bother. We said of course we will press charges. The shop has video of the time and date and the car used (Charger). The sheriff's department will check city video to see if they can get a license plate. Meanwhile the body shop is looking for a replacement and they are hard to find. This is crazy! Who knew? anyway, anyone know of a tailgate for a 2015 F350 with the backup camera and step? Definately getting a lock when we get our tailgate.

I would not claim the tailgate on my insurance, the repair facility has to have insurance. If not I would take them to small claims court.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tailgate
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.