cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Disconnect

KLYoung
Explorer
Explorer
A little confused here. I am installing a battery disconnect on my BattleBorn batteries and need to know whether to install it on the negative or positive cable. I seen discussion both ways.
9 REPLIES 9

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
OP is gone.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Sjm9911
Explorer
Explorer
I did the negative as the switch i bough recomended it. Just make sure you dont forget to turn it on for the break away switch when towing. I wired mine so that was always powered.
2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
The discussion was about disconnecting the battery.

Disconnect both the positive and negative battery cables and remove the batteries and you can still have the lights on from the battery charger.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a disconnect on the battery neg to frame wire and thought that would be ok. Nope!

Turned out that because the frame is the neg path for both 120v and 12v, that I still had a neg path aside from the battery to frame wire, when the shore power was plugged into the inverter and something weird was happening the way the inverter was wired so the "ground" wire in the 120v wire got to the "chassis" of the inverter which got to the RV frame.

Anyway, it was complicated. Can't remember all the gory details of which path went where or why I had it like that.

Bottom line is when the battery disconnect on the neg wire was "open" and the shore power cable was in the inverter, I still had 12v lights and fans working in the RV

So as others a trying to warn about, you can have another neg path somewhere, but if you have the disconnect on the battery pos wire close to the battery, you won't have another pos path somewhere.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Electrically it doesn't matter as a switch disconnects the circuit, period. All postive or all negative wires must be switched.

The general battery safety rule it to disconnect the negative battery cable first on the battery and connect it last.

But this doesn't apply once the switch is installed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
May depend on how your rig is wired. Look for extra wires attached to your battery which you might have to relocate to accommodate add-on battery disconnect.
Kevin

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I seen discussion that it doesn't matter.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
KLYoung wrote:
A little confused here. I am installing a battery disconnect on my BattleBorn batteries and need to know whether to install it on the negative or positive cable. I seen discussion both ways.

That's because it doesn't really matter.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I would install in the positive lead. Closer to the battery the better.
If something were to happen in the circuit if were installed in negative, you could have very serious issues. A ground any where in the system.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker