Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Mattress Underlayment
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Mattress Underlayment

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
BurbMan

Noblesville, IN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm reading that you need something to put under the mattress to avoid condensation, mold, and mildew. From my efforts on Google so far, it seems like the Froli System gets high marks, but at $400 it's a little pricey.

I'm seeing other options more in the $100 range like this cocnut coir or this Den-Dry underlayment.

Anyone here use the Froli, and if so, is it really that much better that's it's worth the price? Are there other options I haven't found?

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

[email protected]

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use the froli system and have been very pleased but I can’t compare it to anything else because we added it on day one. Never an issue with condensation even in below freezing weather.

Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

tlowe43q

NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hyper-Vent from Fisheries Supply ... 39" wide, by the foot. Figure your length and place underneath mattress (mildew is a big problem in marine mattresses, especially laying on a fiberglass bunk).

there is an overlap beyond 39" of the upper layer. two lengths side by side work for a queen mattress.

errante

travelin

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 for hyper-vent. Used it on the boat for many years, in the camper, and in the house. Defender Industries, Waterford , Connecticut. About $9 per foot

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest things folks don't do is allow enough ventilation at night when they are sleeping. Leave a roof vent crack about a 1/4 turn and a lower window like the pass through window cracked about a 1/4". Another issue is to let the temp inside the camper drop at night. The lower the difference between the outside temp and the inside temp the less condensation will try to form. Between these two, I've never had a condensation problem either on the bed or on the windows.

When you cook, make sure you open the vents and windows even more, try to use the stove vent if cooking something that steams.

All this said, I did add a 1/2" foam board under the mattress to provide a bit more insulation since I camp in temps down to 0*. Takes two pieces so under $20. The scraps can be used to make pieces that fit snugly in the windows you don't care about seeing out.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/23/20 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven’t personally had a condensation issue either. Although no long term winter camping. But even with a month long trip at warm day temps, heater needed in the evening and mornings it wasn’t an issue. But was a dry climate

Maybe a option if needed would be the snap lock sports court material. Seems it would provide an air gap.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X3 on the Hypervent Aire-Flow:

Link

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Geo*Boy

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tlowe43q wrote:

Hyper-Vent from Fisheries Supply ... 39" wide, by the foot. Figure your length and place underneath mattress (mildew is a big problem in marine mattresses, especially laying on a fiberglass bunk).

there is an overlap beyond 39" of the upper layer. two lengths side by side work for a queen mattress.

X4

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 04:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I came up with a hugh throw away of 2x2 feet Carpet squares... These still had sticky on their backs haha..

I put carpet squares under both tent bed ends and of course had to trim a tad to cover the whole floor. I used DARK GREEN color here...

Then I put down 2X2 Carpet squares on the POPUP main floor. I used DARK BLUE color here. One spot was very close to the heat duct coming from the Propane Heater so I used a small section of metal here on the floor in front of the heater vent...

I didn't do any of this per say to a problem you are discussing here... I was never aware our mattress was doing something like you are speaking of... I was looking mainly on putting down something under the POPUP mattress to make a tad warmer to sleep on and prevent drafts from sneaking in around the edges... We also laid down a few of those Air Conditioning foam sections that one installs in the house open window where the installed window air conditioner is installed to prevent drafts. This works great going around the where the POPUP floor meets the installed tent bed fabric ends. Also keeps small things from falling out as well like small flashlights haha...
[image]

The Carpet Squares did very well for what I was expecting. Having carpet on the main floor however probably was not the smartest thing I have done. I never knew how much dirt and twigs got carried into the trailer through the front door haha.. I installed one of those HD grated steps allowing one to stomp their feet real hard before entering the trailer.
[image]
Roy's image

Roy Ken
[image]

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/23/20 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RoyB wrote:

I came up with a hugh throw away of 2x2 feet Carpet squares... These still had sticky on their backs haha..

I put carpet squares under both tent bed ends and of course had to trim a tad to cover the whole floor. I used DARK GREEN color here...

Then I put down 2X2 Carpet squares on the POPUP main floor. I used DARK BLUE color here. One spot was very close to the heat duct coming from the Propane Heater so I used a small section of metal here on the floor in front of the heater vent...

I didn't do any of this per say to a problem you are discussing here... I was never aware our mattress was doing something like you are speaking of... I was looking mainly on putting down something under the POPUP mattress to make a tad warmer to sleep on and prevent drafts from sneaking in around the edges... We also laid down a few of those Air Conditioning foam sections that one installs in the house open window where the installed window air conditioner is installed to prevent drafts. This works great going around the where the POPUP floor meets the installed tent bed fabric ends. Also keeps small things from falling out as well like small flashlights haha...
[image]

The Carpet Squares did very well for what I was expecting. Having carpet on the main floor however probably was not the smartest thing I have done. I never knew how much dirt and twigs got carried into the trailer through the front door haha.. I installed one of those HD grated steps allowing one to stomp their feet real hard before entering the trailer.
[image]
Roy's image

Roy Ken
[image]

Carpet is often a mold magnet. I would not recommend it for prevention under a mattress.

Rob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Mattress Underlayment
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.