Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: 12 volt frige
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 12 volt frige

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

... for at least a couple of decades the trucking industry has had available a 12 V compressor operated fridge I have heard some are making way to RV world.

Yes, they are become popular because they can keep frozen foods frozen even when the outside temperature is in the 90s !

JRscooby wrote:

I do not stand under why RVers want to store solar power as 12 V then waste some turning it into 120 to power the fridge.

Modern inverters don't waste much.

(Besides, those 12v compressor refrigerators work by having an internal 3 phase inverter !)

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Modern inverters don't waste much.

(Besides, those 12v compressor refrigerators work by having an internal 3 phase inverter !)

Strange. My studies on Truck Fridge, the compress runs on 12/24 V DC. Some models have a converter for when 120 is available.

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 08:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was that Butler RV Center that did such a great job explaining how everything worked on the walk thru?

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yeah, 12V compressor fridges have been the up and coming thing for about the last 18 months in the RV world. They're ~$400 cheaper, 30% larger internal capacity, faster to cool down, and don't need to be perfectly level compared to the 8 cu foot absorption fridge they're replacing. Plus with solar they'll go forever. You don't even need that much solar, a single 100W panel and 2x T110 batteries ran one at Dometic for 21 days, not sure if it actually died due to too many cloudy days or if they just stopped the test.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

Yeah, 12V compressor fridges have been the up and coming thing for about the last 18 months in the RV world. They're ~$400 cheaper, 30% larger internal capacity, faster to cool down, and don't need to be perfectly level compared to the 8 cu foot absorption fridge they're replacing. Plus with solar they'll go forever. You don't even need that much solar, a single 100W panel and 2x T110 batteries ran one at Dometic for 21 days, not sure if it actually died due to too many cloudy days or if they just stopped the test.
That will be something I'll be looking for to replace mine. Summer camping in the Florida heat requires a shaded site, a re-circulation fan inside and blue ice blocks rotated from the fridge to the freezer - and ice cream is never frozen.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 02:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

afidel wrote:

That will be something I'll be looking for to replace mine. Summer camping in the Florida heat requires a shaded site, a re-circulation fan inside and blue ice blocks rotated from the fridge to the freezer - and ice cream is never frozen.

Not available in 12+ cubic foot sizes yet, but based on adoption for the 8 I'm sure they're working on sourcing a bigger compressor.

jeeperman

florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes 12volt all the time.
As long as you keep your battery charged you will have a cold fridge.
When boondocking run solor

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 12 volt frige
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.