cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

6.7L Cummins Engine Brake

SWoop2247
Explorer
Explorer
Does everyone use the engine brake when not towing?

I've read mixed opinions on using it 100% while driving.

Thanks in advance

S Woolery
2012 Aerolite
2014 Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Cummins
2014 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 6.7L Cummins
24K Curt Slider
2013 Heartland Sundance 3200RE
29 REPLIES 29

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

YES, sometimes ya have to be smarter than the computer. Kinda like dropping a bear before the grade starts.

What caliber do you us for bears? Does your AR-15 take one down? How many rounds does it take?

.223 isn't a great round for a bear. .308 or bigger is preferable and you'll still need a couple rounds to do it.

OP, I run T/H and EB all the time except the rain. The Ram tends to lug a little for best fuel economy, but the manual warns you not to lug the transmission. T/H will shift a little sooner, preventing that lugging. The E/B is fantastic for slowing down to about 25 mph or so. I use it regularly with zero side effects. Brakes are still pretty thick even at 60K miles.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

YES, sometimes ya have to be smarter than the computer. Kinda like dropping a bear before the grade starts.

What caliber do you us for bears? Does your AR-15 take one down? How many rounds does it take?

HA too funny! I heard my 44 Mag would do the job with just one.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
IdaD wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:
Auto coupled with tow/haul when towing is awesome going down grades because it holds whatever speed you set with a brake tap or taking your foot off the accelerator, adjusting the amount of compression and/or downshifting as necessary. Even on the big grades we have out west the only time I have to use my brakes is when I need to slow down for a corner, traffic, etc.

I do use my EB when I'm not towing if I remember to turn it on, which is not all the time.

Try it with 26k behind you going down a 6% great. It will NOT hold.

I run TH and FULL EB and use cruise and lock out the same gear I would have came up the grade. I set around 50 for holding 55 in 3rd on 6% grades.

I can go down several miles of 14% locked in 2nd with cruise set to 30 or so and be running 35mph.

I've never pulled that much weight with this truck so I'm just passing along my experience with a more typical size camper. I've pulled more than that with old farm trucks with no exhaust brake at all but that's a different topic. Frankly I don't ever see myself with a camper anywhere near as large as yours as I don't have any desire to ever live in one long-term. Different strokes I guess.

Understood !
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Auto coupled with tow/haul when towing is awesome going down grades because it holds whatever speed you set with a brake tap or taking your foot off the accelerator, adjusting the amount of compression and/or downshifting as necessary. Even on the big grades we have out west the only time I have to use my brakes is when I need to slow down for a corner, traffic, etc.

I do use my EB when I'm not towing if I remember to turn it on, which is not all the time.

Yeah, if I lived in that type terrain then I would have opted to keep mine on or go with an aftermarket EB. Here, you can literary see your dog run away for days so the EB is not really needed. I will say that I am a bit jealous of those who live in the mountains like that. Most of my friends like going to the beach or fishing in the bay which is fun, but if I had my choice I would be in the mountains. I bet Idaho has some beautiful ranges. Almost had the chance to visit a few of our dealerships (Rush Truck Centers) up there, but then Covid hit.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:

I run TH and FULL EB and use cruise and lock out the same gear I would have came up the grade. I set around 50 for holding 55 in 3rd on 6% grades.

I can go down several miles of 14% locked in 2nd with cruise set to 30 or so and be running 35mph.

I've never pulled that much weight with this truck so I'm just passing along my experience with a more typical size camper. I've pulled more than that with old farm trucks with no exhaust brake at all but that's a different topic. Frankly I don't ever see myself with a camper anywhere near as large as yours as I don't have any desire to ever live in one long-term. Different strokes I guess.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"That 4 or 5 MPH over run in auto EB drives me nuts. That is why I use full and control speed with gear selection and being off or on throttle. Gives me something to do while driving also."

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
IdaD wrote:

That 4 or 5 MPH over run in auto EB drives me nuts. That is why I use full and control speed with gear selection and being off or on throttle. Gives me something to do while driving also.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
Walaby wrote:
Give this thread enough time and you will see mixed thoughts here too. I suspect what you read here will largely mirror what you've read elsewhere.

I don't use it driving around city, but use it towing or not on the freeway.

Mike

Well the Cummins exhaust brake uses a sliding ring, not the variable blades in the turbo. My thought is use it or loose it.

Agreed!

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
Walaby wrote:
Give this thread enough time and you will see mixed thoughts here too. I suspect what you read here will largely mirror what you've read elsewhere.

Mike

Well the Cummins exhaust brake uses a sliding ring, not the variable blades in the turbo. My thought is use it or loose it.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Really?? No kidding....
OP has like a 7klb TT behind his first diesel pickup. The Exh brake WILL hold speed with THAT load down most any highway grade.
But he's probably impressed by your big........trailer.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Start truck, hit TH and EB EVERY time towing or not!!!

I never use the Auto mode.

Why so insistent?....lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I use it all the time.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS