Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 6.7L Cummins Engine Brake
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.7L Cummins Engine Brake

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I will add another thing to this. The one thing that scared me into removing my VG turbo and replace it with a non computer controlled fixed geometry was how many Cummins actuators we sell through our dealers. It mostly was due to fried actuator components rather than carbon buildup on the vanes. The computer boards in the actuators would be toast in many of the ones we took apart.

We don't sell nearly as many Powerstroke turbo actuators, but that may change with the 2020 PSD since the turbo on it will have a full electronic controlled actuator versus the oil pressure controlled actuators on the previous 6.7L PSD's. What worries me with that is whether electronic actuators can handle the heat due to the reverse flow design of the Scorpion engine having the turbo placement right in the center of two exhaust manifolds.

The new L5P Duramax is also the first Duramax to have fully electronically controlled actuator, and the VG turbos all the way up to the LML have been oil pressure actuated. So time will tell in the next few years of they will have the same issues.

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the thread. Just got my 2016 CTD and have been wondering the same thing. From what I have gathered, full slows the truck when you lift from the pedal and auto when you actually brake. Is this correct. Love how t slows the truck, I'm sure will help save the brakes.

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use EB 100% of the time and tow/haul when I have any trailer in tow. I did hear it will prevent maintenance issues from "daily driving" and mine is a mixed tow vs daily driver. 2012 with 70,000km as of this week so just broken in.

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

CaLBaR

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

packpe89 wrote:

Thanks for the thread. Just got my 2016 CTD and have been wondering the same thing. From what I have gathered, full slows the truck when you lift from the pedal and auto when you actually brake. Is this correct. Love how t slows the truck, I'm sure will help save the brakes.

That is correct. Full engages as soon as you take your foot off of the pedal and auto when you touch the brakes. Auto also comes on going down hills when your speed increases past when you took your foot off the pedal or when you applied the brakes.

When towing or not towing it keeps my speed constant going down hills which is nice.

Rob

2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 04:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Auto coupled with tow/haul when towing is awesome going down grades because it holds whatever speed you set with a brake tap or taking your foot off the accelerator, adjusting the amount of compression and/or downshifting as necessary. Even on the big grades we have out west the only time I have to use my brakes is when I need to slow down for a corner, traffic, etc.

I do use my EB when I'm not towing if I remember to turn it on, which is not all the time.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Auto coupled with tow/haul when towing is awesome going down grades because it holds whatever speed you set with a brake tap or taking your foot off the accelerator, adjusting the amount of compression and/or downshifting as necessary. Even on the big grades we have out west the only time I have to use my brakes is when I need to slow down for a corner, traffic, etc.

I do use my EB when I'm not towing if I remember to turn it on, which is not all the time.

Try it with 26k behind you going down a 6% great. It will NOT hold.

I run TH and FULL EB and use cruise and lock out the same gear I would have came up the grade. I set around 50 for holding 55 in 3rd on 6% grades.

I can go down several miles of 14% locked in 2nd with cruise set to 30 or so and be running 35mph.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

wilber1

Abbotsford B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 04:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use it all the time.

"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 04:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Give this thread enough time and you will see mixed thoughts here too. I suspect what you read here will largely mirror what you've read elsewhere.

I don't use it driving around city, but use it towing or not on the freeway.

Mike

Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Start truck, hit TH and EB EVERY time towing or not!!!

I never use the Auto mode.

Why so insistent?....lol

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Try it with 26k behind you going down a 6% great. It will NOT hold.

Really?? No kidding....
OP has like a 7klb TT behind his first diesel pickup. The Exh brake WILL hold speed with THAT load down most any highway grade.
But he's probably impressed by your big........trailer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.7L Cummins Engine Brake
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.