Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Ultra Lite vs Normal Weight
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ultra Lite vs Normal Weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 07:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am in the market for a new to me -- used fifth wheel. I have a three-quarter ton diesel truck so I really do not need an ultralight trailer. However, I have found a good deal on an ultralight unit.

My question is: what is the disadvantage of an ultralight? How do they save weight? Is it simply smaller holding tanks, or do they reduce weight on the main structures of the trailer?

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I have seen, they are built cheaper to get lighter. Tires, axles and brakes are cheaper, cheaper frame, etc. Push on the walls and floors and see how it gives. Cabinets are plastic laminate over particle board, cabinets are stapled rather than screwed and glued.

Take a flash light and look behind cabinets (remove drawers) and in the back of the basement.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Ed9824v

Agua Dulce, Calif. 70 mi N.E. of Los Angeles

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 08:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some light weights have gone to aluminum frames. but more plastic and less wood.

Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Materials, build quality, insulation, etc - all to get it lighter. And the "how" it's built. Really depends on what you will use it for. Weekending - all those things may not matter. Full or part timing I think you will find that lighter means cheaper/lesser quality. Nothing wrong with it so long as you have realistic expectations. I would also guess that suspension, tires etc will be less robust and require more frequent maintenance and replacement.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

From what I have seen, they are built cheaper to get lighter. Tires, axles and brakes are cheaper, cheaper frame, etc. Push on the walls and floors and see how it gives. Cabinets are plastic laminate over particle board, cabinets are stapled rather than screwed and glued.

Quite right, Ultra Lite = Flimsy and Cheap. And will fall apart in a year or two.

As for aluminum, Arctic Foxes are all aluminum construction and are some of the heaviest campers you can buy. I doubt these ultralight units have much aluminum, for one thing that costs more.

If you only intend to use the camper for a couple weeks a year and you carefully cover and care for it, then maybe it makes some sense to go cheap. With the understanding that the camper may not last as long as the loan to pay for it does.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first 5th wheel was an ultra light. Besides what others have pointed out, the walls were 1.5" thick, barely any insulation. My wife could be outside and talk to me while I was inside like we had nothing between us. Ours only had one AC unit to keep the weight down so spending the winter in Florida wasn't ideal with that RV. It didn't save us much of anything in fuel costs being lighter either. We traded it in when we returned home and bought a 5th wheel with thicker walls, two AC units and better insulation. Our new 5th wheel is so much better built with much better fit and finish. It's not top of the line by any means but fits our wants and needs now. You get what you pay for.

2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of the ultralights were designed for half ton trucks and have lower front overhang heights. They may not fit a newer 4WD 2500 truck with sufficient clearance without towing nose high. Advise taking some measurements before buying.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TenOC wrote:

I am in the market for a new to me -- used fifth wheel. I have a three-quarter ton diesel truck so I really do not need an ultralight trailer. However, I have found a good deal on an ultralight unit.

My question is: what is the disadvantage of an ultralight? How do they save weight? Is it simply smaller holding tanks, or do they reduce weight on the main structures of the trailer?

With a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel.....
5th wheel GVWR should be 12K or Less so you do not overload the rear axle/tires with wet pin weight
RAWR....6010#

* This post was edited 08/25/20 09:43am by Old-Biscuit *

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You need to go by actual weight, the words ultra-light, super-lite, half-ton tow-able etc. are just that.... words. There are no standards in force.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

You need to go by actual weight, the words ultra-light, super-lite, half-ton tow-able etc. are just that.... words. There are no standards in force.

Beat me to it...mostly marketing terms.

I've seen plenty of Ultra Lite trailers that were overweight pigs that should never be considered with a 1/2 ton truck.

Start looking for GVWR and Loaded Pin Weights of the trailer and compare that to the payload (including anything in the truck including you) of your truck and tow rating. Doesn't matter what the marketing term they use on the trailer.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ultra Lite vs Normal Weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.