Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Camping with no reservations
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Camping with no reservations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sjm9911 wrote:

Depends on the area. Ny, nj and pa campgrounds seem full to me. Some also have restrictions, so every other site is open. I haven't seen that first hand yet. I would imagine if it is a more popular place it will be full. But i supose if your not picky you could find something in the area.

Thanks

We're heading for the middle western states - Texas, then north Utah, Co, Wy, Dakotas this time.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We like knowing we have a reservation so we don't waste a 500 mile drive. In the past month we RV'd to RZR riding destinations. We were in Marysvale, Utah and the RV parks in the town were full. We next went to Silverton, CO and all their parks were full as was the boon-docking in the nearby Nat'l Forest.

On the way home we spent the night in Albuquerque, NM and the campground was almost empty thanks to NM being locked down. BTW, Utah and Colorado weren't locked down and business was booming.

Glad we had reservations. You gotta have reservations these days.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2016 RZR 900

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

monkey44 wrote:

Sjm9911 wrote:

Depends on the area. Ny, nj and pa campgrounds seem full to me. Some also have restrictions, so every other site is open. I haven't seen that first hand yet. I would imagine if it is a more popular place it will be full. But i supose if your not picky you could find something in the area.

Thanks

We're heading for the middle western states - Texas, then north Utah, Co, Wy, Dakotas this time.
Hopefully in the opposite order, so Texas has time to cool off! [emoticon]

Mike G.
--for now, using a cargo trailer for camping--
Those who would give up essential liberty, to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. --Benjamin Franklin
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 12:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't been to the east side of the country, but here in central WA, northern Idaho and western Montana we seek out the first come/first serve campgrounds and haven't had any problems getting a sight mid week.
We stay through the weekend and then move to a new area on Monday or Tuesday. Most of those campgrounds are full on the weekends, but mid week arrival works fine in our areas.

* This post was edited 08/26/20 12:00am by hotjag1 *

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

JAC1982

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From what I've heard, the more "popular" public parks near the Denver Metro (ie within 2 hours) here in CO are definitely crowded on weekend... very hard to get a reservation unless you find someone who cancelled. They also leave reserved spots empty, even if the person with the reservation doesn't show up. Some that have good cell service are even full on weekdays because so many people are working remotely, so as long as they have phone service, they can work. But, if you are a little further away from Denver Metro, you likely will have better luck.

I was up in Medicine Bow National Forest last weekend (in Southern WY between Centennial and Saratoga), and while we weren't camping, I checked out nearly every campground out there. Every single one was full, all are first come. Normally these sites aren't like that... they get mostly full but not totally full, with tons of people boondocking around too. That's a good indicator of how it's been this year. After Labor Day may be better but then it starts to get pretty cold.

2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

We like knowing we have a reservation so we don't waste a 500 mile drive

Who does 500 mile drives? We averaged 189 miles between cg this summer and anything over 200 miles was a 'long drive' day for us. And we operate backwards from you, we plan a day's trip and then look for cg at the end of that day. Not the other way around unless we are going to a NP or some other major spot that we wanted to visit.

And we spent almost a month in CO, 2 weeks at South Fork, about a week near Gunnison and a few days at Grand Junction. Not a single full cg in sight. And we camped in south west WY and northwest WY, no full cg there either. Sure if you camp near a major city on a weekend you will find full cg. And maybe closing every other site in a cg might cause it to be 'full'. But that's why we avoid camping close to major cities, unless it's an overnight transit spot. And as noted above we avoid the dark blue states for the obvious reasons.

So I do not know how we avoided all these full cg, we do not camp at pricey resorts for one thing, but I do pick spots that have good ratings on CG reviews.

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

garmp

St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 02:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We recently returned fro touring Pennsylvania, Maryland, into West Virginia and Kentucky. Our trip was planned according to what campgrounds had a vacancy. Made reservations for each on the 13 stops. Much to our dislike it was a necessity. Thinking about upper Wisconsin and then the UP and pretty much the same story.
Really had to made reservations going by a 1" x 2" picture, but some times you just gotta do what you gotta do.

Good luck & keep us posted.
Stay safe.

Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

200 to 250 miles per day is ideal for me! After 4 hrs. sitting on my "kester" for 4 hrs. starts giving me "TB"!!! I don't like arriving in camp all beat up and tired. I want to sit and have my Vodka tonic and relax[emoticon]

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/25/20 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Quote:

You have everything to gain and nothing to loose by making reservations ahead and you avoid the possible frustrations and worry about finding an RV site every day.

I don't agree with that, calling to change or cancel reservations is a PITA for all concerned. Unless it is a NP, SP or other high use area we didn't find reservations to be required or desirable. We had zero problems getting spots in COE parks unless it was the weekend when the locals swarm the parks. We even made a reservation online at our last COE park sitting in front of the check in booth window. Having a reliable hotspot makes all this much easier.

We went thru FL, AL, GA, TN, AR, OK, NM, CO, UT, ID, WY, MT, ND, SD, NE, KS, and MS. And camped in every one except UT. Obviously certain states are verboten and to be avoided: NM, the left coast, all of New England and the Mid Atlantic states. We cut thru the corner of NM before the governor clamped down again.

Your right! It is a real challenge to open your phone and say "cancel my reservations" . Strongly sugest don't consider RVing/camping on the west coast but I suspect it would not be your choice to consider anyway!

Sjm9911

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/25/20 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thats the thing, its regional. And in the warmer state seasonal. Up north there is less of a camping season, and more people with campers. State parks in ny , pa, fill up as soon as they open. And the good stuff you have to set reminders for so you can grab a spot the year beforehand. Just the way it is now. Dosen't bother me as much as I have a few rallys we do every year for the state parks. And the other trips are usally camping resorts for the kido. The camping resorts tend to have more availability because there higher priced. But I had a few problems this year booking them and had to rearange dates at the last minute.

2012 kz spree 220 ks
2020 Silverado 2500
Equalizer ( because i have it)
Formerly a pup owner.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Camping with no reservations
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.