cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Norcold N7X intermittent on propane coldest setting

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to figure out if this is a known problem or an issue to be concerned about.

We have the Norcold N7X fridge. Works fine on electric. Works fine on propane EXCEPT if it is set to the max cold setting (five snowflakes), in which case, the operating indicator turns RED after some time of operation. The period of time seems random, anywhere from 12 to 36 hours of operation and not associated with any particular action or event.

On our recent 10 day trip, this happened about 5 or 6 times over a period of about 7 days. Happened a couple times after traveling and arriving at the campsite (at first, I thought perhaps the flame was blowing out..) Several times it was red in the morning when I got up. At least once during the daytime when we returned to camp after a hike.

Power OFF then ON restores operation after which the fridge operates normally again for some random period.

At some point, I set the cold setting back to four snowflakes after which the fridge stayed on and operated normally for the remaining 3-4 days of the trip including.

Question: Is this "normal" or should I contact my dealer before my warranty expires. Thanks for the collective experience!

Tom
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2007 GMC Sierra Classic 2500HD, Duramax LBZ
2019 Nash 23D
8 REPLIES 8

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Appointment made. Thanks everyone for the help.
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
teejaywhy wrote:
Just to clarify... we were boondocking and NOT connected to shore power. No 120VAC is present.

Thanks

Regardless, you need to get it in for warranty. Doug

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Just to clarify... we were boondocking and NOT connected to shore power. No 120VAC is present.

Thanks
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loss of 120VAC (in Auto) and gas fails can set the Solid Red Fault

Question would then be
Was 120VAC Lost due to power outage, tripped outlet circuit breaker, bad fridge power cord, 8A AC Fuse on circuit board blew

AND failure of gas lighting off

In GAS Manually mode...flame is failing to relight and PROVE on subsequent reheating cycles
Or circuit board is at fault (Polar Series Circuit Boards have know issues)
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
On 120 volt, you will not get this error. The red indicates FLAME out error. So, as long as the burner and areas are clean, YES, make an appt with your dealer. Norcold has had issues with the rear control board for the past 2 years. Replacement is required after a Service Center does its checkout. Doug

teejaywhy
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
......operating indicator turns RED

THAT is associated with NO 120VAC Available and fridge SWAPPED to gas but gas failed to light off.

Per service manual
Should none of the heat source inputs be available, the power ON /indicator light (See Fig. 14, D) will be solid RED

Are you using 'AUTO' mode or Manually selecting 'GAS Mode'??

See pgs 28/29 for troubleshooting Solid RED
Most likely issue is with gas train components...clean burner, correct spark gap, spark electrode, gas valve solenoids of circuit board

Burner dirty, spark gap are maintenance ---owner
The other items are NOT components that can be individually replaced......whole gas train is replaced as an assembly which should be a warrnty item.

Polar 7/8 Series Service Manual

Thanks for the help.

I will look closely at the troubleshooting guide. I'm now not sure if the the red indicator was solid or if it was blinking... hmm (RTFM right?)

To follow-up:
- I am manually selecting GAS mode.
- The fridge is operating normally for many hours before the indicator goes green to red. (not like a start-up problem)
- Once I set the the temp from 5 to 4, the fridge operated without fault for 3-4 days.

Someone suggested an "ice up" condition and adding a inside fridge fan could help. Does this sound plausible? For sure, this was the first extended trip where we had the fridge packed with food.

Thanks again.
Tom
The Yost Outpost
Gilbert, AZ
2019 Nash 23D

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I like the service manual answer much better than mine.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
......operating indicator turns RED

THAT is associated with NO 120VAC Available and fridge SWAPPED to gas but gas failed to light off.

Per service manual
Should none of the heat source inputs be available, the power ON /indicator light (See Fig. 14, D) will be solid RED

Are you using 'AUTO' mode or Manually selecting 'GAS Mode'??

See pgs 28/29 for troubleshooting Solid RED
Most likely issue is with gas train components...clean burner, correct spark gap, spark electrode, gas valve solenoids of circuit board

Burner dirty, spark gap are maintenance ---owner
The other items are NOT components that can be individually replaced......whole gas train is replaced as an assembly which should be a warrnty item.

Polar 7/8 Series Service Manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31