Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 4 maybe 5 weeks....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> 4 maybe 5 weeks....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
garyhaupt

Penticton, BC..land of wine, sun, retirees....

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Almost time...we are going to take off for a month long BC wander come Sept 15th. Probably drift thru highway 20 to Bella Coola, come back same way and Wells Grey Park, find some wild hot springs, watch trains in the Fraser Canyon. Spend a few days in Vancouver.

Can't say I ani't ready.

Gary Haupt

I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Lwiddis

South of Lone Pine, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Should be a great trip. Stay safe...which I believe is easier when camping. I visit gas stations, supermarkets and once a week a laundry. Nothing else.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flag pole. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet-11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wish we could come north to visit!
Like your Penticton/Kamloops area. Enjoy the Icefields Highway and Jasper!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Muncho Lake is beautiful if you go that way, but stay away from the logging and mining trucks. Despite the economic positives, seeing that destruction will ruin your trip.

PartyOf5: Us 2 & 3 pre-teens trying to connect, learn, appreciate creation & the Creator. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all that you endeavor

garyhaupt

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

I wish we could come north to visit!
Like your Penticton/Kamloops area. Enjoy the Icefields Highway and Jasper!

I too love Banff and Jasper after the summer crush. Everything is closed..only it's all open. We'll go west forst, then come back thru Kamloops to Wells Grey...if you haven't been? Maybe put it on your list. Depending in COVID closures, we will head down to Nakusp and and couple other spots for hot springs.

Gary

garyhaupt

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

Muncho Lake is beautiful if you go that way, but stay away from the logging and mining trucks. Despite the economic positives, seeing that destruction will ruin your trip.

Logging is never pretty. I am a BC boy and have done a short stint in the woods. Not for me, that life. But...the reality is..logging and mining = $$ and like everything in this world..it makes the wheels turn.

Thanks for the tip.

Gary

ReneeG

Meridian, Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/26/20 12:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm envious. We went to Canada back in 2005, I think. Did the Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Well Gray Provincial Park, Kamloops, and Revelstoke and everything in between and still didn't see enough. Have not been able to make it back.

2011 Bighorn 3055RL
2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley BD3
1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica and Mabel, both Rat Terriers!

garyhaupt

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 02:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

I'm envious. We went to Canada back in 2005, I think. Did the Banff, Lake Louise, Jasper, Well Gray Provincial Park, Kamloops, and Revelstoke and everything in between and still didn't see enough. Have not been able to make it back.

We share a similar sentiment, just that ours is about Washington, Oregon, California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah and New Mexico...our winter haunts. Instead, this coming winter will see us wandering BC...probably over to Vancouver Island and the Sunshine Coast. We'll probably have to do it bits n pieces. I don't quite see us out for 2/3 months at a stretch. But..a couple weeks here..a couple there, we hope is doable.

Gary

SideHillSoup

South Eastern British Columbia

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/20 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PartyOf Five wrote:

Really, I take it you don’t live in a wooden house or have a flat screen TV etc.... there are a bunch of things I don’t like in the USA, but I don’t advertise it.
Now, the wife’s tomatoes are doing great... picked another 6 today.
Soup.

2018 Northern Lite 8-11 EX Dry Bath
2017 Sierra SLE, 3500 HD / 4x4 / Duramax with a 6 speed Allison Trans
Torklift Super Hitch 20K, 48" Super Truss, front and rear frame mounted tie downs
Fast Gun Long Range SS Turnbuckles, Fast Gun locks

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/27/20 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll assume that Canada, is like the US and that public land must be managed for multiple use. So if you get lemons, make lemonade. The taking of natural resources can be combined with views, wildlife management, hiking, fire control and so on.

On a personal note, in both Michigan and Virginia National Forests, we completed oil and gas wells, on 2 to 5 acre clear cuts, in cellars and covered the wellheads with a steel plate painted green. All lines were buried and only a few above ground tanks, painted green, were used in a large field. Then we planted the locations as wildlife food plots, as directed by Ricky the Ranger. Boom! Oil and gas production, sediment control, increased deer and associated animal populations, roads used by us, hikers, medical evacuation, and fire control. Everybody wins. Didn't cost us much money to do it this way and we probably came out ahead on legal fees and fines.

Near my home town, a lumber and mining company, had about 30,000 acres at 3,500 to 4,000 feet. The virgin timber was Red Spruce. But, that was cut 100 years ago. They continued to lumber the second growth hardwoods, and strip mine the area. Then they sold it to the National Forest. Well, by natural succession we would still have another 150 to 200 years to get the Red Spruce forest back. With a little dozer work and by planting Red Spruce on the strip mines we will have a fairly nice spruce forest in 50-75 years. Also a chain of small lakes, hiking trails, fire brakes, and eventually we will cut the timber. Make that lemonade. Future generations will think it is natural. The pros will know better.

It is all about using your brains, and working together.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Canada

> 4 maybe 5 weeks....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.