cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transmission Fluid Change 2013 Chevy Duramax Allison

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
I'm about to hit 50,000 on my chevy and the GM maintenence guide says I should have the Tranny serviced.

My dealer will change fluid and flush for $200. I read on a web site that Allison does not reccomend a flush. This service also does NOT change any filters.

I contacted a local shop and for the same money they do not flush but replace both filters and fluid. I am trying to look up reviews as I have not had any previous experience with them.

I am certainly leaning toward the local shop and replace fluid and filters.

The dealer stated that the filters don't need replaced just the fluid. Does this seem right?

I am leaving on a long trip September 8th and want to get this addressed before we go

Your thoughts?

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
6 REPLIES 6

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
A. You’re dealer is stupid. What they said makes no sense and the price is cheaper than it should be, especially from a dealer, beware
B. Agree on the no power flush. Is that actually still a thing?
C. Have all the fluid replaced with Transynd or equivalent. Change spin on filter ( you should have a couple times by now anyway...right) Any place that knows what they’re doing will pump out the old fluid ( by way of disconnecting a cooler line) and replace fluid. That’s how it should be done.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

msmith1_wa
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with what ktmrfs wrote.
2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 8.1l
2016 Evergreen Amped 28FS

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Allison Transmission
Look and see if you have a local Allison dealer. I have one local and their filters have been much cheaper than anywhere else.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
internal filter does not need to be replaced. Allison/GM say only to change the internal filter if work is done on the transmission. Since the pan has a drain plug, no reason to drop the pan.

Next on fluid, If you use Dexron XXX then fluid change is at around 50K miles. And GM fills the transmission with Dexron. Now if you want extended drain intervals, (100K+) and better protection have it filled with Allison Transynd. After one fill you will need to change it again at 50K, then go to the extended fill. Transynd is expensive but I found that here NAPA stores have a castrol branded transynd at a reasonablle price.

Allison recomends against a flush, So if you want go buy a Allison spin on filter and fluid and to the change yourself. Just drain, replace what you drained, check level cold to be in the lower hash marks, then go for a drive to get the fluid up to about 180F and check again and top off if needed.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
You can go to the Duramax forums & pose the question or search the forums for answers....

gmckenzie
Explorer
Explorer
Allison is (I think) the only tranny in it's class with a spin on filter. So it gets replaced, but the internal one doesn't.

But I didn't think it needed to be done at 50K. Where are you seeing that?

Edit: Ahh. They changed fluid at some point to one with less life. So 50K if using GM fluid. External filer at the same time and don't touch the internal, unless doing a full overhaul.

http://fccc247.com/3%20Chassis%20Vendor%20Information/Allison%20Transmission/Allison%20Transmission%20Fluid%20and%20Filter%20Change%20Recommendations.pdf
2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 CC SB Max Trailer
2010 Cougar 30RKS