cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Scottsdale in winter.......

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone tell me any tips and tricks to going to Scottsdale in winter? My mother turned 90 and must see her this winter. I'm wanting to know any nice RV parks close to Scottsdale, maybe fairly quiet, or even good places outside town. I don't like ritzy fancy just nice places with nice people. I just need space the size of a parking space with my truck camper, but will do what is easiest if quiet. Thank you so much for any help as it's going to be all new to me.
16 REPLIES 16

BECKS
Explorer
Explorer
Eagle View RV Resort in Fort McDowell should work, not far from Scottsdale.
2006 Travel Supreme
Spartan 42FT Tag Axle

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
BarbaraOK wrote:
Jan-March will be booked full in all the parks, assuming that Canadians are allowed south this winter.
I doubt that will happen.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
Thanks everyone, really great tips and also warnings od what not to do. I plan on going to Scottsdale right after the first of January depending on snow storms heading south out of Oregon. I usually never make reservations, but this is an ever changing world we live in. I don't mind winter travel either.

You need to make you reservations AS SOON AS POSSIBLE! Jan is the high season in ARIZONA. What is your route to ARIZ.?

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
JKJavelin wrote:
FYI OP, the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction begins on January 16... in Scottsdale at Westworld. The biggest car auction on the planet. (On my Bucket List!!)
JK

That is very interesting, thanks, I will most likely be home by then resting during winter.... no obligations except to my hubby.

If you aren't leaving until Jan 2nd and you plan to be home by Jan 16th, why not just fly down, spend a couple of days with your mom and fly back?

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
FYI OP, the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction begins on January 16... in Scottsdale at Westworld. The biggest car auction on the planet. (On my Bucket List!!)
JK

That is very interesting, thanks, I will most likely be home by then resting during winter.... no obligations except to my hubby.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone, really great tips and also warnings od what not to do. I plan on going to Scottsdale right after the first of January depending on snow storms heading south out of Oregon. I usually never make reservations, but this is an ever changing world we live in. I don't mind winter travel either.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
ItsyRV, thanks for the Westworld tip.

https://www.westworldaz.com/rv-camping-1

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
covered wagon wrote:
She is in the Northern end of Scottsdale and has a WalMart nearby, but the freeway is right there with all it's sounds just waiting to ruin my sleep. I am from the quiet woods of oregon so it's going to be an experience I'm sure.

You can not park an RV overnight in that WalMart (or any retail location) parking lot in Scottsdale. If you do, expect a nasty 1 am wakeup call from the police and if they are in a bad mood (you parked within eyesight of the many NO Overnight RV Parking signs) they will issue a ticket as well.

Now, a bit of a local secret. Westword of Scottsdale has RV spots. If there are no shows going on while you are visiting, they rent the spots out like normal camping spots. It;s pretty basic as it;s scattered along the edges of parking lots or on the sides of arena or display buildings, but it's cheap and unknown. My friend comes down in the winter to visit but he always plans his visits during the Good Sam show so he gets a preferred packaged spot, discount rates and access to the show.

Also as mentioned, you have McDowell Mountain, Cave Creek and Lake Pleasant regional parks through Maricopa County Parks dept. Reservations won't be taken until 6 months prior to the date so be ready to jump that first day to get the best sites.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

JKJavelin
Explorer III
Explorer III
Good thing you're looking now. The last 2 years in March was hard to find a place for even a couple nights. In 2019 we found a place 40 miles west of Phoenix, this year it was out of business. Found a place in Surprise and everybody's awning was almost touching the rig next door.

JK
2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde AllTrek 4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017-2022 555 Nights
2023- 106 Nights

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stay at Cave Creek campground, north of Phoenix. Plenty of space. Easy in and out. Look for the discounts. Make plans early. There is also Lake Pleasant, not far from Scottsdale. No highway noise from either of the places I mentioned.

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
When do you plan to visit and how long would you stay?
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
She is in the Northern end of Scottsdale and has a WalMart nearby, but the freeway is right there with all it's sounds just waiting to ruin my sleep. I am from the quiet woods of oregon so it's going to be an experience I'm sure.

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
I think there is only one RV camping place remaining in Scottsdale and they usually are booked way in advance. You would do better checking Mesa, Apache Junction, northern areas of Phoenix or the west side as that's where many of them are located. You also have some Arizona State Parks and Maricopa County Regional Parks that have full/part service RV campgrounds, so check them out as well.

But, since Scottsdale is about 35 miles top to bottom, where in Scottsdale will also be a factor on which areas to check.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.