Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tesla crash (2 years ago but in news today)
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Tesla crash (2 years ago but in news today)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tesla in fatal crash

The link is to channel 16 South Bend Indiana
Tesla in auto-drive mode crashed into a Sheriff deputy's crusier
The Deputy was NOT in the car at the time so he was not hurt.

The occupant (can't call him the driver) of the Tesla was, it appears, playing a video game on his "Smart" phone (Sounds like a dumb phone to me).

Home is where I park it.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/27/20 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

Tesla in fatal crash

The link is to channel 16 South Bend Indiana
Tesla in auto-drive mode crashed into a Sheriff deputy's crusier
The Deputy was NOT in the car at the time so he was not hurt.

The occupant (can't call him the driver) of the Tesla was, it appears, playing a video game on his "Smart" phone (Sounds like a dumb phone to me).

I had to read that twice. He was playing a video game while driving? What a moron.

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another one here locally just the other day. A Doctor watching a movie while his Tesla was on auto pilot creamed a Nash county cruiser parked on the shoulder which then bumped into a NC Highway Patrol car.
Fool clicky

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bucky wrote:

Another one here locally just the other day. A Doctor watching a movie while his Tesla was on auto pilot creamed a Nash county cruiser parked on the shoulder which then bumped into a NC Highway Patrol car.
Fool clicky

And he got charged on the move over law which from what I gather is fairly serious. What a goof. He’ll probably buy another one and do the same thing.

* This post was edited 08/28/20 04:38pm by Reisender *

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 04:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly fox news never tells the full story and often gets details wrong.
But it looks like this one is more or less just poorly written.

People need to understand that the auto pilot is not faultless. I mean it likely relies on GPS
I've had GPS show me running over farmer's fields when I was on the road
Tell me to turn too early, or too late
And tell me to turn when I needed to go straight,.

I use GPS but back it up with a BRAIN.. Several times I've had to override

IF you are not in position to take over. DO NOT ENGAGE AUTO-DRIVE
Its a Tesla not a Knight Industries Two Thousand,

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 04:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yah. Totally agree. This is no fault of autopilot. Autopilot is a driver assist feature. You need to be monitoring all the time as per the instructions. It provides an extra layer of safety as it keeps you within your lane, keeps a safe distance to the vehicle in front of you, will do some emergency breaking in some cases etc. But it is a level 2 system so it needs to be monitored. Audi had a level 3 system for awhile but it was discontinued and is now rated level 2 again. I would say that they couldn’t read the warnings that they get every time it is engaged, but a doctor? Nope. He’s just a moron.

* This post was edited 08/29/20 11:04am by an administrator/moderator *

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read a news story the other day about autopilot and adaptive cruise control issues with stopped vehicles, I wish I could remember where I saw it. It is technically the fault of the autopilot and/or adaptive cruise control since they rely on radar, which doesn't see non-moving objects. The real problem is that these features shouldn't be in use if they can't see non-moving objects.

This is not the article I read, but it is similar: https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-why-crash-radar/.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mgirardo wrote:

I read a news story the other day about autopilot and adaptive cruise control issues with stopped vehicles, I wish I could remember where I saw it. It is technically the fault of the autopilot and/or adaptive cruise control since they rely on radar, which doesn't see non-moving objects. The real problem is that these features shouldn't be in use if they can't see non-moving objects.

This is not the article I read, but it is similar: https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-why-crash-radar/.

-Michael

I would disagree. All the manufacturers of these pro-pilot, auto-pilot, super cruise type systyms advertise their systems as driver assist type systems. They are all level 2 and advertised as such. The driver is still driving the car. Insurance companies agree they reduce accidents. If these systyms shouldn’t be in use then ordinary cruise control should also be not in use...and seat belts which occasionally cause injuries, or air bags. Etc etc.

IMHO using these systems as intended is fine. People who are watching movies, playing video games or driving drunk shouldn’t be setting the bar for these systems. .

wa8yxm

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First. For Michael: Radar and sonar and lidar all see stopped objects just fine.. RADAR does not see non-metallic objects (IE People) Or Trees. but a car. Well so long as the Engine is metal it should see it.

Second: For Reisender: You know they are "Driver assist", I know they are "Driver assist".. I hope everyone reading this thread knows they are "Driver assist" but....

Clearly not everybody has gotten the message.

I do agree however that the Auto-pilot is at fault for not avoiding the very metal police cruiser stopped in the road...

But the human playing games or watching videos on his phone is LEGALLY responsible for the crash as well... For the manual clearly said to pay attention you may need to take over.

UBER tried some totaly atonomous cars from what I understood.. No driver at all, Straight out of Science fiction... Did not turn out well. They stopped.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 08/29/20 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hear ya. But not getting the message? Literally every time I engage autopilot it warns me to pay attention and keep my hands on the wheel. I think it’s one of those “can’t fix stupid” scenarios.

A good example of why it is still level 2 and one should pay attention is passing a bicycle on a two lane curvy country road. (Happens often here). If no one is coming in the opposite lane I always give the bike lots of room and cross the centre line to go around him. Autopilot won’t do that (because technically it’s illegal to cross the centre line). We drive on autopilot 90 percent of the time so when the situation comes up we simply pull a little harder on the wheel which brakes it out of Autopilot and I veer around the biker. Autopilot won’t do that but it does slow down if there is oncoming traffic and it feels “tight” passing the biker. I prefer to just be in control in this situation. I “trust but verify“ autopilot. It’s considered level 2 for a reason.

Systems like Propilot (Nissan) Autopilot (Tesla) Super Cruise (GM) add a layer of safety because they are always watching. It’s all they do. People get distracted or get used to things and get complacent. Here is a minor example of Autopilot (in this case on TACC only) catching me in an error. We drive through a local campground often. Recently they decided to add an adhoc non compliant stop sign presumably for pedestrian safety reasons. The stop sign was attached to a rim and placed near an intersection. We both missed the stop sign, but the car didn’t. It came to a gentle controlled stop while we were trying to figure out what it was doing. We were so surprised we took a picture.

It’s not anywhere close to perfect but I have never seen it miss a stop sign or stop light. It gets speed limits wrong sometimes and phantom braking under overpasses are not uncommon. Overall it makes for a more relaxing drive and at least for me less chance of a speeding ticket.

My guess eventually insurance companies will decide your rates depending how much a driver uses these systems.

Jmho.

[image]Untitled by radar231, on Flickr

* This post was edited 08/29/20 05:50pm by an administrator/moderator *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Tesla crash (2 years ago but in news today)
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.