cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Material I need to move Travel Trailer

Nanidh12
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, everyone. I recently bought a travel trailer and I am new to all of this so please bare with me. I bought a trailer a little sooner than I would have liked but it just was the right one.

Now, I don't have the proper materials I need to be able to move the trailer if I need to just even move it to the left. My brother in law has a truck that I can use but I don't have any of the materials to do so. I want to have everything if god forbid there's a fire in the area.

The trailer has a tongue. What are the tools I need to hook to the truck. I have been researching online but many people are using different things and I am getting confused.

I have a 2002 Trail Lite R Vision.
12 REPLIES 12

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like you need to do a mountain of research before you are ready, in the meanwhile few things in life cant be fixed with a visa card
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
And everyone here will confuse you even more once you say what vehicle you have and the discussion goes rampant about the right "equipment".

Please for your sake, find someone local to show you the ropes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ If it has a 2-5/16 hitch. It may be a pretty small trailer.

OP, step back from the internet and find someone who knows something about pulling a trailer. First person down your street with a boat camper or any other kind of trailer is a good start. Have them give you the run down of the basics.

Using words like "materials" and "tool" when you mean draw bar with a hitch ball on it trailer draw bar or ball mount means you wouldn't even know how to hook it up or drive it.

The internet is not where you need to be. Find a real live person to help you get going, face to face. Not youtube....

If you're worried about fires in El Cajon, either get a tow rig and learn how to use it, now, or make sure you have full coverage.

You can't even tow it, so trying to in an evac situation is not smart.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
To just move it over a bit you will need:

• Your BIL's truck with a hitch that has a 2 5/16 ball on it.
  • Air in the trailer tires.

To take it down the road you will probably need:
  • Your BIL's truck with a weight distribution hitch that has a 2 5/16 ball on it.
  • Your BIL's truck with an installed trailer brake controller.
  • Your BIL's truck with a 7 blade trailer wiring socket at the back.
  • Air in the trailer tires.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

FrankoToo
Explorer
Explorer
I see that you live in El Cajon. Drop by Rick's RV Center on Main Street and talk to them about your situation. Good people there that should be able to help. They set me up with my first fifth wheel hitch way back when I still used to live in the area.

Good luck.
FrankoToo
2018 Cruiser Stryker ST2313
2011 Ford F450 6.7L PS 4X4 Crew Cab Lariat

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
She lives in San Diego. There's gotta be a guy with a truck somewhere near her.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Good that your new trailer has a tongue. What size ball is required?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your really new ,so my .02cts is hire a mover the guys that move mobil homes most likely cheaper than buying the tools you,ll need to do it.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The truck needs to have a hitch receiver attached to the underside, and it will have a 2 inch square opening for your choice of a plain ball mount with ball, or a weight distribution hitch with ball.

Ball size: the trailer will take one of these (but not both): a 2 inch ball or a 2&5/8 inch ball; see if it says which one on the top of where the ball fits into the socket (the coupler).

To move it on the street or highway, the truck also needs a 7 pin socket for the electric pigtail (cord), to supply lights and brakes to the trailer.

Before traveling with this rig, you'd best ask us a few more questions or do some serious reading on towing basics. There's a lot to know if you want to do it safely.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nanidh12 wrote:
The trailer has a tongue. What are the tools I need to hook to the truck. I have been researching online but many people are using different things and I am getting confused.

I have a 2002 Trail Lite R Vision.

What you have for a truck is just as important if not more so than the type of trailer you have.

Does the truck even have a trailer hitch?

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just ask your BIL to move it.

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
your question is a little confusing, "Move it to the Left"? How far left?
Are you wanting to use this as a means of escape? First thing, you'll need a hitch on your BIL's truck, with the appropriate sized ball, if you're going to haul it any real distance, a weight distributing hitch would be real nice, if you're just moving it a few miles, you can get by without that.
How long has this thing been sitting, is it on blocks, pads, or something else, or just sitting on the ground?
Have you checked the tires?
There are a lot of variables.
Also, are you considering getting your own truck in the near future, i only ask because if the need to escape arises, what happens if BIL wants to escape at the same time?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund