Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: JB Weld or ? Quick Water Tank Fix
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> JB Weld or ? Quick Water Tank Fix

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Bert the Welder

Van. Island

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 12:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And the JB Water is for potable, according to their list. I've used other JB products and it's pretty impressive.

"> 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

surgtech56

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
Is 3m Panel Bond what I should use. Since the leak is on the threads and the fitting into the tank? I saw something called Seal N Place too. I am not savvy enough to bypass the tank with the water jugs. Thank you

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How bad is the leak? If you go out for your final camping trip, and the leak causes you to lose all your water in the first afternoon, that's something that would need attention. If it's just a few drips, and you'd lose a few gallons over the course of the weekend, that's a whole different story. You could probably even put a pan under the leak and recover the lost water if it was slow enough.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

eHoefler

ozark mountains

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 06:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marine-Tex

2019 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1000FTPD of Torgue!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On your type material tank, NOTHING will bond. The only fix is plastic welding. That said, from your pic(blurry), it appears the fitting itself has cracked on the threads. If so, You can use a plastic epoxy and apply liberally to the inside on the threads and on the screw in fitting and install the fitting. Usually that will bond enough to prevent leaks. IF the leak is on the flange of that fitting, plastic weld is the only way to go. The reason JB weld and other glues do not work in the long term is, The tank flexes and expands and retracts when water is filled and used and the tank empties. THAT causes any patch to eventually come loose. Doug

BurbMan

Islip, Long Island

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dougrainer wrote:

On your type material tank, NOTHING will bond. The only fix is plastic welding.

Not true! I found this JB Weld Plastic Bonder that will bond to thermoplastics, including polyethylene like this water tank. This is available in most big box stores by the glue.

[image]

***NOTE that Loctite also makes something called "Plastic Bonder" and it WILL NOT WORK.***

***JB Weld also makes a "Plastic Welder", this also WILL NOT WORK.***

The previous owner of my truck camper cut a big section out of the propane compartment liner trying to fix some water damage. I used 3 tubes of the JB Weld Plastic Bonder to seam it back to back together and it's strong as new.

[image]

It's hard to see from the pic where the OP's water tank is leaking but sometimes if it's in the thread an extra-heavy wrap of teflon tape can work temporarily.

2015 Ram 3500 SRW 4x4 Laramie Crew Cab Long Box, Cummins diesel
2002 Lance 811 Slide-In Camper
SOLD: 2008 Terry 34' TT
SOLD: 2001 K2500LT 8.1L Suburban

Lance 811 Renovation Story!
Project Complete!
Maiden Voyage!

Baja Man

Inland Empire, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar leak at the plastic fitting to tank connection. PO thought the hex nut looking plastic head of fitting could actually be tightened to connected water shut off valve! It is a hex head but can not, and should not, be turned. Spin welding was used to install it from tank manufacturer.

How I repaired:

I purchased THIS welding kit. I welded it using the plastic pieces included in the welding kit. This was repair was made over 8 mos ago and hasn't leaked a drop. Simple, on the cheap, and has worked flawlessly.

2003 Ford F-350 XLT Super Duty, Crew Cab, V10 (6.8L); 4X2; Standard Bed; SRW; 4R100 trans
2009 Thor-MVP RV- Tahoe 284SA

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/28/20 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If the threads are leaking... use Teflon plumbers tape.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

surgtech56

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Baja Man wrote:

I had a similar leak at the plastic fitting to tank connection. PO thought the hex nut looking plastic head of fitting could actually be tightened to connected water shut off valve! It is a hex head but can not, and should not, be turned. Spin welding was used to install it from tank manufacturer.

How I repaired:

I purchased THIS welding kit. I welded it using the plastic pieces included in the welding kit. This was repair was made over 8 mos ago and hasn't leaked a drop. Simple, on the cheap, and has worked flawlessly.

Thank you. Going go get one of these

surgtech56

michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/28/20 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone. I bought some of the JB Weld stuff and going to go to Harbor Freight and get the plastic weld kit too. I’ll see what happens. Got a quote from a local RV place of $500-$2000 for a new tank. We’ve been thinking about downsizing from a 23ft(10 years old) to 16-18ft, this might be our sign. I’ll keep you posted on the repair thanks again appreciate the great help

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> JB Weld or ? Quick Water Tank Fix
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.